Outgoing encryption necessary when using VPN?

letjahloveshinetru

I use a VPN with µTorrent and it works the same as no VPN, with or without Protocol Encryption. As I understand it (http://user.utorrent.com/help/faq/features#faq1), PE is less about security and more about "traffic shaping", so the two are not (necessarily) in conflict.

Whether enabling/disabling PE affects overall bandwidth... not really, in the long run. Turning it off limits your uploading options (it doesn't apply to downloading), and prevents those probably only to a small fraction of a torrent's peers. If one of those happens to have the fattest pipe, though... your loss. Turning it on, OTOH, seems to add little if any bandwidth overhead, and it gives you a few more peers to peer.

BTW, an informal poll of the peer flags in my ~20 currently active torrents would indicate that ~80% enable full encryption, ~20% handshake-only or none.

Occupy Protocol Encryption : We Are The 80%!

OK, I guess I misunderstood the relevant part of the FAQ (below), and confused incoming/outgoing with downloading/uploading. What I think I meant was “it doesn’t apply to [blocking] incoming connections” — at least not without turning off the “legacy” switch? Sorry if this is off-topic and rather trivial, just trying to understand.

Disabled: Does not encrypt outgoing connections, but will accept encrypted incoming connections.

Enabled: Attempts to encrypt outgoing connections, but will fall back to an unencrypted mode if the connection fails.

Force: Attempts to encrypt outgoing connections, and will NOT fall back to an unencrypted mode if the connection fails.

Allow legacy incoming connections enables or disables incoming legacy (non-encrypted) connections.

All modes will accept incoming encrypted connections (and the encryption is 2-way)!

Archived