µTorrent 3.1 stable (build 26671)

Firon

I've noticed (regrettably), that 26616 seems to lock-up for no apparent reason. No other real issues, just these *extremely* annoying lock-ups. EXACT same settings I had for 3.0x both 32 & 64bit.

What do you mean by "lockups" and under what conditions?

If all the settings were fine with the previous versions, WHY would I need to pre-allocate the space now? That would seem to be a *significant* issue.

Please explain why, if uTorrent already checks the disc space when I load a torrent, I would suddenly need to pre-allocate the space? And also, what would that have to do with the program locking up?

Thank you.

Because they have changed things here (and I'm not saying it is w/o bugs...). The primary change was lowering the priority of the disk-handler (so to give other apps, like video player, better performance). I guess the load of space allocation effected the cache , and may require tuning of the settings. You might want to try to just revert back to normal priority (diskio.low_prio_disk = false + restart).

Ok, thank you for explaining things :) I'll give that a try and let you know how it works (I'll do both the pre-allocation an the low_prio false). For the moment, I've dropped back to the 64bit release (even though it have the *annoying* bug of not being able to set the File Priority).

Also, when installing, is there a way to set a specific install directory? Rather annoying having to have it stuck in the one directory (I like to keep a separate directory for each version - and yes, I do know how to make them "portable" with the /recover option and the Apps files in the same folder, but that's not what I'm asking for).

Also, when installing, is there a way to set a specific install directory?

Sure. If it is a clean install just put the exe anywhere you like, with an empty settings.dat file ...

Or: if you want to upgrade (and you had a previous install) just put it anywhere ... :P

After you will stop this download - like you have it in 3.0 - it will be "only seeding"

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8859/23677027.png

Your help it's most grateful, but this ut 3.1. 26616 has a serious problem when up/down the same time at high speeds

it's a bug, your ideas do not solve the entire problem,with your cache settings it consumes a lot of resources vs utorrent 3.0

Hope the admin/mod will release a fix

Are the devs in vacation ? (Not seen one of them since one week).

Apparently' date=' yes :)

My settings (including [b']general->preallocate = true) Tested at high speeds. See if this helps:

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/2892/cacheoptimizedsettings.png

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/337/54551952.png

diskio.coalesce_write_size-4194304

where did you get this setting ?????? it's official or you put some numbers to be there?????

Ultima

Administrator

Well, the less often you write data out to disk, the higher risk you run in potentially losing unwritten data to some kind of instability/crash.Setting the coalesced write size too high will probably result in this error. In fact, even a size of 4MB is already causing errors for many users (which is why it had to be lowered to 2MB default), so I wouldn't expect you to be able to set it too high anyhow.

This settings

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/2892/cacheoptimizedsettings.png

Ar this settings tested when you create a new torrent, to improve speed ????........

diskio.coalesce_write_size-4194304

where did you get this setting ?????? it's official or you put some numbers to be there?????

It is 4M, and I did not "get" it, I've set it and tested it myself with 50MBps downloads, and it was best for high speeds. No errors.

Even if there are a few random hash errors (and there are), I think the average speed is better. Definitely better than the current 256K default :)

But.. no one is forcing you to use it, use 256K... :P

Ar this settings tested when you create a new torrent, to improve speed ????........

It was tested with torrents downloaded from the Internet. Why being newly created torrent - should matter?

This was never the default. It was in my recommendations/tips-guide forever... except for that last "Enable" for the Windows disk-write cache :P

http://tinyurl.com/253k5ev

I've done your settings.......is there enough 128MB override cache for 10MB down/11 MB upload both at the same time ???????

4dbe99166522057.jpg

1d910b166522065.jpg

tell me if need to modify something here......by the way you have an email from me

Have you tested at 10MB down/11MB upload, with 128 MB override cache ???? or at this speeds you need more cache????

Not yet... But I intend to.

I believe that if there are no bugs, the user defined cache is useful only for temporarily "smoothing" things and letting other apps work better. If you run uT alone (for testing), it should work well also with practically minimal cache (long term). It should not effect it's *average* speed. If not - it is buggy...

Archived