µTorrent 3.1 stable (build 26671)

Firon

I've lost my profile by upgrading before, can you guys have uTorrent make an auto backup of it's config or something? Perhaps look into it? At least get uTorrent auto backing up either before upgrade or at user specified intervals.

there is kind a semi-auto-backup of the configuration - *.dat.old ... too bad the old exe is not backed up

Yeah, I know, but when it happened that file was gone too. I have all my torrents saved so I just added them all again and did rechecks. Having uTorrent manage more than one backup and perhaps providing us with the interface to restore previous backups from within the program would be a boon. I really don't feel the .old method goes far enough.

I guess you are right, and making a backup "set" (zip?) of both the exe and the configuration files could have been useful. I don't see how they can easily back up in future 3.1 versions - the 'cache/resume" directory though :(

The best (safest) practice for now, would be to do your own backup *before* you upgrade...

Could you send us your settings.dat? This might help us see what combination of settings you have that could be the problem.

http://uploading.com/files/a424ec2m/Desktop.rar/

now I have utorrent 3.0 and it's ok........

Well, after checking it up - my conclusion is that unfortunately there seems to be bugs, that cause downloads to effect the uploads. It CAN do 10MB both ways (128M cache) , and I've seen it. It just does not sustain it for long in many cases, due to bad interaction of the download with the upload.

1. Setting a download limit seems to sometimes decrease the upload rate t0 close to zero

2. When two torrents are active - one downloading and the other uploading - it seems that once the download starts to increase and fill up the write cache - the read cache does not maintain the preset size and is being reduced to close to 0.

Well, I guess it is back to the cache drawing board after the holidays tongue No sense to test anything till they fix the root bugs.

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/8871/readcachecorrupted.png

this is the proof from rafi

my proof

http://www.imagebam.com/image/c98af6166430915

you can read the problem from

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=109914&p=10

from page 10 -to this page

hope you fix this bug

tried all kind of settings and nothing worked well.......

I guess you are right, and making a backup "set" (zip?) of both the exe and the configuration files could have been useful. I don't see how they can easily back up in future 3.1 versions - the 'cache/resume" directory though :(

The best (safest) practice for now, would be to do your own backup *before* you upgrade...

Yeah, that's really not a problem, It's just most users wouldn't expect to have to do that. If any developers are reading please, if possible try to implement something.

On an unrelated note, I would really like to see a mass relocate feature, I'm having to relocate every file individually because some torrents I have look for a subdirectory by the name of the torrent and append it to whatever directory I set as the relocated directory.

It would be nice to have a tick box perhaps for this to remove any auto generated directories when relocating. I've found a way around by renaming the torrent and selecting the root as the download location but then the torrent name is changed and this might not be ideal.

Don't know if it's been reported. The window which displays the files inside the torrents when you add a torrent, used to save its position and size on the desktop. You could move it around and resize then close it, and the window would save the position and size next time you add a torrent.

But since version 3.0, I think, the position of the window is not saved anymore. The size is saved. But the position always resets back to a default.

Is that a bug?

btw, I am using the latest stable version 3.1 build 26650 32 bit.

I have reported this in its own topic few days ago but it was locked because this was an allegedly known behavior and 'not a bug' (as the admin stated then).

Well, it is namely a bug for me if I couldn't see 1/3 of the window falling off the screen... every time!

With so many bugs hanging around 3.x branch that persist in even the latest releases (how many months are there since 3.0 came out, still there are more and more bugs as versions increase numbers?!) and being a long-years uTorrent user, I'm happy I keep most of the installation files I use, in archives, and will stick to gold balance 2.2.1 which was working more than fine for the entire time I was with it. A big mistake to upgrade to 3.x. I was hoping for quite awhile to get used to it and wait for fixes, but have no time already to pay attention to what would be eventually fixed or not of the many long-standing bugs, at the same time 2.2.1 works perfectly. Why bother then..

Yeah I remember reading Rafi's comments on 3.x and honestly I have to agree, some things just need to stay in beta longer, what's the rush?

Does anyone else think it would be super to be able to shift or ctrl click on one of the files in a torrent and perform torrent functions like re-check, force start etc? It would be so convenient to not go looking through your torrent list as they can get rather large.

the problem it's still here

17.1 + 110 = 128. This seems to be by design. Upload and download share the same cache. I guess there is room for design improvement :(

only utorrent 3.1 has this problem 3.0 works fine...... i don't understand why they do not fix this problem.....you pm the admin I have done the same but no response and no fix maybe this is the biggest problem

This version, like other 3.x builds causes high CPU usage.

I have read all related posts in this forum and found no solution. Tried all recommendations and other options I could think of. I can see up to 60-70% CPU usage by such a tiny program whit only one active torrent when I try 3.x versions including the latest build. When I uninstall it totally and install 2.2.1 everything reverts back to smooth with minimum CPU usage as it used to be.

I decided to stick with old version as I only use it simple download/upload features and I am happy with as it is. I decided to try recent version as it is a major version uğgrade but that was far from satisfactory due to above reasons. So I wanted to post a comment to indicate that 3.1 has this problem and latest build did nothing to alleviate it apparently. As I tried both old and new versions on same system with exactly same setting changes on default parameters (without going to advanced options) I believe the problem is caused by 3.x versions not my settings. I feel this should be mentioned to prevent cliche suggestions.

Archived