Help needed: Download speed VERY SLOW.

himegoto

Hey guys, been using utorrent since it first release and never had much problem.

Onto the question, my old ISP had a download cap at 10M

And all was good, I get download/upload constantly at around 10M.

Now I "upgraded" the goddamn ISP (a different company of course) to a supposedly 100M speed but the max speed I get is just around 150k (0.15M!!) while upload is a bit better. Sometimes 300-500k.

I haven't changed any settings whatnot. But I am asking now if there's anything I can tweak to have better speed? Please be easy to follow if possible. Thanks in advance.

I'd call up support for the ISP and go rage at them, if that solves the problem... But want to check what I could do on my end first.

On second thoguht I'll rage at them anyway.

Run the Setup Guide, enter there your NEW UPLOAD speed that you have with your ISP and save.

Thanks. But done that. I tried different locations and the speed is still slow...

And most give me around 1M download and 3M upload as the result even when I choose 100M

(edit)

forgot to add but the actual download and upload speed was still the same, old and slow. At around 150-200k dl and 500k ul.........

http://www.slackware.com/getslack/torrents.php <-- do torrents from here work?

Yes. Been downloading a while now the speed is around 250k. But it climbs really slow to reach that I'd say around 4 or 5 minutes.

(10 mins later cause I procrastinated to send this out) it was up to 1M but dropped back to 500k now.

Thing is with the ISP before I can jump on the top speed instantly. (5-10M) From the same torrent trackers. btw I always have peerblock on.

Your upload speed shows 32 mb/s. The closest speed that the Setup Guide has is 20 mb/s. Choose this and ignore the speed test in the guide.

I played around with the setup guide chose different locations and tested them out as well. I mean I'd be happy if I could reach 20M download but it doesn't. Not even close.

I think the most I've reached with this ISP now is around 5M (several torrents). Not the 100M I signed up for. And even on those rare occasions I do reach 5M the speed climbs slowly for half a day or more. But most often than not it's around 200-300K per torrent throughout the day.

(with the same torrent trackers as my old ISP, where I could easily reach 2M or so per torrent.)

Please read again:
Your upload speed shows 32 mb/s. The closest speed that the Setup Guide has is 20 mb/s. Choose this and ignore the speed test in the guide.

Yes. I did that. What I was saying is I get the same crappy speed no matter what speed I choose in the setup guide.

Yes. Been downloading a while now the speed is around 250k. But it climbs really slow to reach that I'd say around 4 or 5 minutes.

Congratulations, you have a torrent-hostile internet provider. There is officially nothing we can do to solve your issue.

Cool. All I wanted to know.

I doubt it's anything to do with utorrent or any torrent clients to begin with. Just wanted to make sure and learn more.

• 11 months later...
It can't be the internet problem because the signal is very good
Of course it can, the 'signal strength' is only an indication of the connection to the wireless antenna, it is nothing to do with "the Internet"
Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?
Change your ISP?

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=4128

Archived