Error: Permission denied

robin0627

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi,

could you check the directory you download to? You might not have right to save anything there (e.g. root folder, etc).

Thanks!

That was it! I think the latest update changed my download directory to "Users" where I don't have permission to store anything. I change it to my regular download folder and everything is working just fine.

Nice call!

I have been using utorrent for downloading files (often from pirate bay) for several years with the same computer (mac), same operating system, same internet service provider, etc. and just yesterday, I started receiving this same error message ("permission denied") when attempting to download files. The files start to download but stop a few seconds later (similar to the problems noted above).

I tried removing the suggested file and folder as indicated above but this did not fix the problem. Nor did a virus scan uncover any potential problem.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I noticed yesterday, that my settings had reset. Like the previous posts said, I changed my directories to the folder I normally used. There was nothing checked. I'm not sure if it mattered or not, but I did it anyways.

After following the video in my previous post, downloading was fine. I stumbled across the preferences/directories, and changed it back yesterday.....just in case.....

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I was amazed. Why would uTorrents suddenly not have permission to my Downloads folder? I looked at the folder properties and I had read and write permission, so I didn't think it was that. But after trying everything else, including playing with uTorrent Preferences (Mac) I decided to move the downloaded file to my user folder, and now uTorrents is downloading the files faster than I can post this reply! :D

I have the same problem. Everything was working well. Today, I updated to utorrent 1.5.13 (26628) and cannot download anything due to "Error: Permission denied".

I rebooted and no luck. I changed directories and no luck either.

I went into Mac System Preferences and shockingly, the folder I usually save into was "ready only". I changed it to "read and write" by me and by staff and this fixed the problem. I save to an external drive and recently had it unplugged, so maybe this was the problem, but I am not sure why it happened.

HOWEVER, I previously did create a new folder on my desktop and told utorrent to save there and got the same problem with permissions, so that is still strange.

To check your "permissions" on a given folder, right click (or control + mouse click) on the folder and select "Get Info" and look at the bottom of that window where it says Sharings & Permissions.

Hope this helps someone.

• 1 month later...

Hi also had this problem and don't know what caused it so I set up a new folder in documents and directed my downloads to there in prefs and restarted and it worked

I think in most cases it is a dodgy file that tries to do something (only guessing)

But also folder options get messed up works ok now, hope this helps

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

there seems to be a strange problem with change of permissions after update. This might be connected with OS. So, everybody who experienced the problem could you please describe (in detail) how you update. I'm interested here if you use different users when updating, or delete any files during the process.

Thanks a lot!

Hi. I'm running Lion and I do updates the standard way, no changing anything, leaving it all to the computer (Both for my OS and μtorrent and there is only one user) My download folder is read and write for all, and so are the other folders I tried. No reason to keep it if we can't use it..

• 3 weeks later...

A fix has been found for this problem.

See http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=665166

Problem: "Error: Permission denied" after a few minutes downloading.

+ Recently updated utorrent.

+ utorrent settings don't remember the selected download folder.

Fix suggested by Sol_ie, which worked for me too:

- Set correct download folder in utorrent settings.

- Remove and reload any affected torrents.

Presumably this error occurs after a few minutes when utorrent attempts to save the downloaded file parts to disk. The directory to save to is blank and attempting to write to it produces a permissions error.

For the utorrent staff:

- I am running lion, use only one user, and updated utorrent when it asked to be through the normal autoupdate system.

- I noticed that when I first opened the settings>directories panel the 'put new downloads in:' field was blank.

- I have always saved downloads to the default OSX user/downloads directory.

- Perhaps the new version does not correctly load user preferences.

- Perhaps the old version did not save the download directory preference if it was the default directory.

It would be good if the error message was more precise eg: "Error: Download Directory Permission Denied"

Hi' date='

could you check the directory you download to? You might not have right to save anything there (e.g. root folder, etc).

Thanks![/quote']

That was it! I think the latest update changed my download directory to "Users" where I don't have permission to store anything. I change it to my regular download folder and everything is working just fine.

Nice call!

What is it exactly that you change in the directory?? The location of downloaded files? I am using a mac, and have been getting the "Error: Permission denied" message lately as well. Thanks.

Archived