Download speed rises briefly and falls to zero again

badwolf500

Hi,

I have just started using utorrent (1.5) and I have been able to download some small files but when I tried to download a large file everything works well for an hour or so (green light and pretty constant 50kbps) but then the download speed falls to zero and I get a yellow light. Every now and then the download speed rises for a few seconds and falls to 0 again for long spells. I have tried this with another file of the same size and the same problem occurs.

I am using a wireless laptop (XP SP2) with a Belkin router (F5D7230-4) and my ISP is BT (512kbps) in the UK. Also my upload rate is 47 - does this sound correct. I have not modified any of the utorrent settings or done any port forwarding since everything seems to work fine for smaller files.

Am I doing something wrong or is this expected behaviour? Any help much appreciated. Thanks,

badwolf500

Seeds 1(1) Peers 18(88) - not sure exactly what this means.

I have logged in today again and it downloaded at the full rate for about 10 minutes and then the problems started again. I haven't changed anything in my setup. Not sure what to do? Can ISP's stop downloads based on content?

Thanks,

badwolf500

I tried another torrent plenty of seeds and peers. I'm not sure what the numbers mean though, Seeds=0(4019) and Peers=1(5619). If the big numbers in brackets mean the total number of seeds and peers what do the smaller numbers mean?

The average download rate seemed to be around 4 or 5 kB/s and the upload rate was always the same or higher. Also the utorrent light was always red or yellow, never green. After about 3 hours the downloading and uploading stopped and the remaining time rose to infinity and has stayed that way for an hour or so. I'll leave it running for a few more hours and see if things pick up.

Sorry to keep asking questions but I am not sure if I have a problem or if all this is normal. It feels as though something is wrong with my setup.

Many thanks,

badwolf500

if you have no portforwarding than no one can connect to you directly so your speed will likely stay low.

Don't complain about speeds or few conections until YOU made YOUR Computer conectable by opening the µtorrent used port open for the world!

Edit:

http://www.splintax.com/utorrent/beginners-guide.html

A beginner's guide to BitTorrent

www.portforward.com

Do I need to setup port forwarding? I have no problem doing this but I thought (maybe mistakenly) this only needed to be done if you couldn't connect at all. My problem is that I am downloading and uploading happily for a few hours and then everything stops. If port forwarding will cure this I will try to set it up.

Thanks for the links µtorrent-Guest and I apologise if I sounded like I was complaining. That was not my intention, I was only asking for help to sort out this problem which I clearly think is at my end.

Thanks ,

badwolf500

badwolf, my post was not ment to be rude on you. but manytimes there are posters here that have not done what is nessasary to get the best out of the BT protokoll and then they are complaining about speed or even talking bad about the client and such things. In german nowadays these people are refered as DAUs

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%BCmmster_anzunehmender_User

And yes, port forwarding/not beeing firewaled is esential for good functioning of BT.

See this link from the beginners guide why being firewalled is bad

http://bt.degreez.net/firewalled.html

HTH

I managed to get a large file downloaded :-) Just wanted to say thanks to all for helping me and all credit to the writers of utorrent, it really is a fantastic piece of software.

A few things I noted -

Port forwarding did not work for me, I followed the process twice and the port still did not appear to be open. When I found a torrent with a large number of connected seeds things seemed to work a lot better although on a few occasions things did grind to a halt but closing and reopening the software seemed to kick start the download again. Am I cheating by doing this? - If so I will just wait my turn like everyone else.

Cheers,

badwolf500

Archived