Latest uTorrent, 1.5.13 (26628), using too much CPU...

mikebell

Hi,

Can you provide more details of the issue? First, what is your OS? When you say 'idle' do you mean every torrent is in stopped state? What window is open in your client when CPU is high (All, downloading, label, RSS, or..?) Also please tell whether you enabled 'auto load' in Preferences, or if you have large torrents in your list (like 50 GB).

Thanks a lot!

Sadly I've got to second that.

Ever since the last 2 versions utorrent is pretty much useless because of its cpu hogging. The last update promissed a fix, and while it got better (or at least doesn't happen that often no more) the problem still persists.

Opened Windows: Downloading

current number of torrents: 3, none above 10GB

current CPU usage: 79% (seriously comon...)

start downloads automatically: ON

automatically load .torrents from: OFF

(not quite sure which of the both you meant, more specific?!)

As this is going on for months now I might have to look around for another client, which I'd really hate to :( But as you surly can understand it is really annoying to have your FAN work for its life, simply because you've got a few .torrents running (while they do not even have to run, like the initial poster pointed out)

You could at least give us osx users the possibility to downgrade, by providing the perfectly alright version that we've been using before the last 2 (seriously, I beg you...). As there was nothing wrong with it at all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very thankful for all your great work it's much appreciated!!!!!

Thanks for listening!

kind regards,

.bat

Me too. Lion, 3GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, nothing else running but a fresh Firefox and Adium, uTorrent with no active torrents taking up 10-15% CPU and twice so far I've seen it ping 100% and stay there until I killed the process. 4 torrents stopped, biggest is 180MB, looking at All screen, "Start downloads automatically" selected.

I last reported this problem 2 builds ago, and it was fixed in the last build, very frustrating to see it return again so soon.

EDIT: said RAM instead of CPU by mistake.

Hi,

Can you provide more details of the issue? First, what is your OS? When you say 'idle' do you mean every torrent is in stopped state? What window is open in your client when CPU is high (All, downloading, label, RSS, or..?) Also please tell whether you enabled 'auto load' in Preferences, or if you have large torrents in your list (like 50 GB).

Thanks a lot!

By idle I mean that nothing's uploading or downloading... no active torrents.

Autoload is disabled.

No, no large torrents in my list. largest one in 1.4GB.

Here's a typical CPU usage: no active torrents, 11% CPU use.

LQhZX.png

• 2 weeks later...

Had the same issue, managed to solve it =)

My Solution was:

1 Open µTorrent

2 Go to Preferences

3 Click on the "Directories" tab

4 Change the "Automatically load .torrents from:" to where you download ".torrents" files to, in my case I had to change it "Downloads" (for some reason it was set to my user directory)

Don't know how it had anything to do with such a high CPU usage (in my case it was %90), but it worked for me, hope it works for you =)

I am new to using the client. So I downloaded the latest 1.5.13 utorrent client. I started with just downloading one TV series in torrents since last night and until today, it's still showing 39% completed and it's so slow or even showing inactive. Since it takes forever, I am trying to add a few more torrent series all in once. But the total of them are less than 20 gigs. Is it supposed to be a lot faster with previous versions? I don't get why are there both a uploading and downloading speed.

I am using Mac OS 10.6.7, MacBook Pro.

Is there a connection set up that i should do to help in the improvement of speed? I don't see an option tab for preferences. I only see the preferences under the first column meny under "About uTorrent". But there are not much things I can do to improve the speed.

Having the same problem, utorrent also frequently crashes and I when i start it up again it says it has downloaded 0% of the file so I have to start over again. I this isn't fixed soon I'm going to switch to another client.

This topic was started over 3 weeks ago and nobody from the utorrent team has been interested in answering so it seems like they simply don't care about this problem.

I'm having the same problem. Using my MacBook Pro which I got late 2011, so it has all the latest updates and so on... I'm also using the same version of uTorrent 1.5.13.

My problem is when I open uTorrent, the downloads and all stuff will start and download at my "normal" speed, at about 600kbps. After about a minute or so the fan (?) or something starts to rotate and make just a little bit of noise, and when that does, the download speed decreases to about 10kbps.

And then there's no other way to quit the application but to force it to quit. It also takes up, according to my activity monitor, 104% of the computers processor!

Everything started when I updated my uTorrent-client. Is there any way to get the previous version instead?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2.0.2 has again the CPU issue. Back to 23545 as the most stable and tiny one.

I have to agree... 23545 is the most stable version I've ever tried so far. Doesn't use CPU when idling and it removes .torrent files after you've double clicked on them. Why every version of uTorrent after this has had so many issues is beyond me.

And even the icon is a lot nicer than the later versions :)

• 2 weeks later...

hello - I have same issue - I think it is why my torrents have stopped seeding.

I am on snowleopard 10.6x

utorrent mac client 1.5.14

---

so given we are not suppose "go back to a more stable version",

will there be a FIX? a soluiton???

---

this solution from nikitamaximov posted, DIDNT fix my problem (boo hoo)

from nikita

Had the same issue, managed to solve it smile

My Solution was:

1 Open µTorrent

2 Go to Preferences

3 Click on the "Directories" tab

4 Change the "Automatically load .torrents from:" to where you download ".torrents" files to, in my case I had to change it "Downloads" (for some reason it was set to my user directory)

hello - I have same issue - I think it is why my torrents have stopped seeding.

I am on snowleopard 10.6x

utorrent mac client 1.5.14

how do I go back to "Back to 23545", you speak about in your post?

sorry - not very technical

<munched by admin, don't link old versions, this is your only warning. - DWK>

Using the "Automatically load .torrent files from" setting is excessive. Unless your browser is incapable of passing the torrents over to uTorrent on click, there's no reason to use it.

Having it pointed at a location with a LOT of subfolders and other files will cause this issue as well.

1) Why is linking to old versions not acceptable? It's your software and that version's the only one that works well. Other ones are more or less broken and use too much CPU and have all kinds of issues. uTirrent should provide old versions so people can downgrade when the new version screws something up. Q&A of Mac version is nowhere close to being as good as Q&A of Windows version.

2) Most of the people in this thread (and other threads) who have CPU issues are not using "Automatically load .torrent files" option. Clearly the issue is with uTorrent and not with that option alone. Ever since moving away from 1.0 branch, CPU use has been 10%+ when idling and 70%+ when downloading anything with a large number of seeds.

Why is linking to old versions not acceptable?

Because it's bad enough that we have to support three different platforms. We don't need to (nor do we have the resources to) support like 10 different versions of each. Providing old versions for download will result in MORE people demanding support for something we aren't going to be providing ANY development time to supporting. It's just a waste of resources all around.

Archived