Scheduler.. Only allow uploading..

ReP0

The scheduler is a great idea but I'm a little surprised I can't disable downloading during certain time while still allowing uploads to peers. At the moment I'm setting it to 1kbps for downloads to minimise the amount I download during these times but this is a kludge and not exactly what I'm after.

Bottom line I want to give back to the community between certain hours because I'm a cable user with only a limited upload rate which isn't that great so for every X hour I download I can seed for X+Y for example during times I think is appropriate. This way I can maintain an equilbrium. Hope this makes sense and can be implemented. I don't think it's a major change.

I also have the same problem and do the exact same thing as RePO. Im currently on a plan that has download quotas but no uploads and aim to keep in blanace how much downloading i do so as to not get capped before the quotas reset.

Anyway i wanted to add the feature to keep downloading at 0kb/s without actually stopping the downloading if possible so i am still uploading what i have so far downloaded and also keep on seeding. Perhaps a"-" or anything else could be used in the scheduler as 0 is already taken.

Thanks.

Ditto on the making an account part for this! :P

Was going to make another topic for another suggestion, but this will work unless no feedback on it happens.

I would love to see a right-click context option from the system tray icon for turning the Schedular limits ON/OFF. Or better yet, different limits that can be set in options.

Sometimes I just want to quickly slow things down, without the hassle of having to go into the properties of every torrent, or turning on scheduler for the exact time-frame, ya know?

Thanks for this great program btw! Am moving over from BitTornado...which has worked great for me...but takes up SOOOOOOO much memory.

Inac

Yeah, even if the limited option would allow '0' as an option, then it could be used to simply seed in peak times, and download in off peak hours.

But I'll add my name to the list who'd find the ability to disable downloading completely during certain times of day very useful.

Don't want to sound nasty, but why don't you just set "Limited download rate" to 1kB/s? It'd technically still be downloading, but if you're going to get THAT technical, you're probably downloading nearly that much data in the form of tracker information even when you're only seeding.

lets not try to make the program better at all by adding features that some people could find useful, we should just close the whole feature requests forum all together just because Senator Smartypants says we can get by without them.

Don't want to sound nasty, but why don't you just set "Limited download rate" to 1kB/s? It'd technically still be downloading, but if you're going to get THAT technical, you're probably downloading nearly that much data in the form of tracker information even when you're only seeding.

lets not try to make the program better at all by adding features that some people could find useful, we should just close the whole feature requests forum all together just because Senator Smartypants says we can get by without them.

Hey, I did say I didn't want to sound nasty. And you didn't actually respond to my question, which was an honest and legitimate one: what's so important about having your download rate set to zero instead of 1kB/s, that it's worth redesigning the scheduler interface? I'm willing to imagine that someone in the world might find this worthwhile, but I'm genuinely curious as to why.

And of course I don't recommend closing this forum, I have my own thread here too. I just think a feature should have a significant advantage to it before it is worth spending the devs' time and complicating the interface over. The whole reason uTorrent exists is to be streamlined and bloat-free, so it is reasonable that all feature requests should be thoroughly debated so the devs can be shown both sides of the matter.

Debate != flamewar, btw.

Don't want to sound nasty

I don't think you sounded nasty at all.

On to the DEBATE. :)

Let us say, I got fifteen downloads going on, and I want to limit them all to 1kb. I got two options with uTorrent:

1) Individually select each torrent and manually change the maximum download to 1kb. That is a lot of work, completely doable..but very ineffecient.

2) Setup the Scheduler for 1kb maximum download for the time slots I want.

Sure...number 2 sounds easy..but now when I want to use the Scheduler to limit all my uploads for a certain time, I gotta change it again. And what happens if I want to have ten torrents limited at 1kb down? Only option then is to manually change each limit.

I think having a right click context menu option( that can also be used when you have ALL torrent files selected in the uTorrent window ) is a whole lot easier and more effecient..and I don't think something like that would require a lot of resources or programming time.

Asking for multiple Schedulers is another option( one I would like to have, too, ) but that I think would use more resources than another option on the right click menu. :P

Now onto your thread. :P

Inac

Hm, I don't think I know what you're talking about. Whether you have ten or fifteen or a million torrents, they will all respond to the same schedule that you set because the scheduler affects your global limit, not your specific active torrents.

Multiple schedules or right-click per-torrent throttling might be valid requests, I guess, but this thread isn't about that, it's just about being able to set download speed to zero without setting it to unlimited.

My point, once again, is that so long as you can set your global limit to 1kB/s, you shouldn't need to set it to true-zero. At least not badly enough to merit complicating a delightfully simple interface.

I'm perfectly willing to be swayed, here, but I haven't heard any actual arguments to the contrary.

Edit: by the way, in case you weren't aware, you can change max speeds on the fly by right-clicking the speed readout in the right corner of the status bar, down at the very bottom of the window.

My point, once again, is that so long as you can set your global limit to 1kB/s, you shouldn't need to set it to true-zero. At least not badly enough to merit complicating a delightfully simple interface.
I'm not in a situation to need this, but I would imagine that if I were paying different rates at different times of the day, I would want absolute control over how many bits were flying around at any given time. 1kB/s for 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year might add up to something, and if I were in that situation, I'd rather spend the money on more beer...

I'm not in a situation to need this, but I would imagine that if I were paying different rates at different times of the day, I would want absolute control over how many bits were flying around at any given time.

Thats exactly the situation I'm in. Rates for off-peak / overnight downloaded Megabytes are far cheaper than on-peak megabytes.

Uploading carries no charge however, and as the whole point of bittorrent is to share as much as possible, this feature would allow me and others in a similar situation to continue sharing in on-peak times.

i don't even want the scheduler to limit to downloads 0k, i want to to queue the downloads like its queues everything when you set 'turn off' in scheduler i don't think adding a little check box saying "allow uploads during 'turn off' in the scheduler options will "complicate a simple interface" very much. i would take set limit to 0k over nothing though.

my reason for wanting this is that if i go over my on-peak useage they take away my off-peak and cap me to 6k downloads untill next month. to me that is a very big pro for this feature

Thats exactly the situation I'm in. Rates for off-peak / overnight downloaded Megabytes are far cheaper than on-peak megabytes.

Uploading carries no charge however, and as the whole point of bittorrent is to share as much as possible, this feature would allow me and others in a similar situation to continue sharing in on-peak times.

Know what, you just convinced me. I guess I had to hear it in specific terms for it to make sense.

Too bad I'm just a guy, and can't do anything about it.

i'm joining the chorus on this request...i like to share while i'm waiting to download at off-peak times..

having the download merely limited to 1kb still means the torrent is active,taking up a portion of my total active number of torrents..

seems a waste..i could be contributing more to the network..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Yeah, even if the limited option would allow '0' as an option, then it could be used to simply seed in peak times, and download in off peak hours.

But I'll add my name to the list who'd find the ability to disable downloading completely during certain times of day very useful.

I too would like this feature, even (perhaps preferably?) in the form of allowing '0' in the 'Limited download rate' to disable downloads (i don't know how much effort this requires from a coding point of view, but it does seem a simple and logical change to the UI - when i first started using uTorrent i assumed this was the case, based on the way other options worked, and was disappointed it wasn't the same)

• 3 weeks later...

Was just changing over to uTorrent and this is the only feature I use regulary that I have found missing. Being able to completely disable any torrents that are not complete but still being able to seed ones that are using the scheduler would be much appreciated.

Archived