WebUI + Opera 9

AresXP

the test is actually valid html 4.1, although they haven't declared their encoding like they should. the css is invalid, but that's done purposely, to see if browsers handle bad coding properly. seems like you could make that into whatever you want, though. i'm not sure there's a w3c standard for handling bad coding. i think that's a browser by browser decision, so that would mean the acid2 people are trying to set their own standards.

You forgot to test their CSS...11 errors and 29 warnings... :/

Edit: yeah, you edited it before I replied. :P Anyway, I don't like the way they're going...standards are there for a reason, and they're not meant to be "overruled" by any browser. Their tests just encourage lazy behaviour by not coding properly. Either you code correctly, or you don't code at all. It's as simple as that. :/

Either you code correctly, or you don't code at all. It's as simple as that.

... yeah windows 95 was build on that paradigm, developers needed to make code without errors, or else we got blue screens. And it wasn't bad while you ran errorless software… Now as we know, many things changed, and with Vista m$ is trying to ignore software errors, as much as possible, so the OS remains stable if some program crashes…

Moral of the story: Browsers, in my belief, should ignore errors and display other content correctly; moreover browsers should even be able to detect error and report it.

• 4 months later...

It does, but some things I really can't do anything about at the moment, eg. Opera doesn't allow JS to prevent events from firing, which would mean that right-clicking shows the Opera's context menu over the WebUI's. Someone has filed a bug report, but as far as I know nothing has been done to address this issue. I don't even want to start with IE, because in my opinion its a large pile of crap (this applies more to IE6 than IE7).

The process I go through while I'm dev-ing is as follows: get everything to work in Firefox then fix all (atleast most) issues in other browsers. I will try to get everything working in the major browsers, ie. FX (gecko-based), Opera, Safari, Konqueror (KHTML-based), and IE, but some things I'm not going to take the responsibility to fix (which are few, but are mostly nasty).

• 1 month later...

An ugly fix is to make sure you have Right clicks enabled for Javascript (It's in your preferences somewhere). Then when you right click in WebUI, press alt. Opera will select File, but you can see the right click menu that WebUI has. Not exactly an ideal fix, but close enough until the more important bugs are ironed out.

Archived