µTorrent 3.1.2 stable (26821)

Firon

Those who having the problem with Update prompt thing, they can UNCHECK the "Check for updates automatically" box under the General section, and most probably, the prompt won't come.

Those who say, utorrent trigger their anti virus, it's not utorrent, it's the files you are downloading (.torrent file), might have suspicious files which possibly could trigger the Anti Virus scan, as Anti Virus have Realtime Protection/File Scanning system. So they check every incoming files, as soon they start to come. ;)

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turn that around and what do you have? - I mean no one else is complaining about their AV having problems with Utorrent updating. I never have any issues with Utorrent updating. I also don't have slow-downs and no one else is reporting slowdowns. .

Agree with you about the AV ... that is not an issue with this or any other build... there are a few AV programs which are reported to not be the best fit with utorrent but it is as simple as creating new rules in the program itself much like a firewall exception.

The thing is, now that you mention other people's problems with uTorrent bugs, I myself don't have any problems whatsoever, at least I haven't noticed any. Every uTorrent version that I used until now over the years, including these countless 3.1.2 builds, worked just fine for me - they get me the torrents I download without any hassle - no disk caching issues, no memory leaks, nothing - they all work the same for me. If they have/had any bugs (and they certainly must have), they didn't affect me in any way that I would notice....

Consider yourself one of the lucky ones.... the write/cache issue is so rampant now it cannot be dismissed as an anomaly to a selected few. Google it... endless forum posts of the same issue. Do you ever skip files in the dialog download window ? If you don't that is probably why you have not seen this annoying issue.

Why should we have to disable or not use important features in the program to get it to work correctly ? Example...there are torrents which may contain 10 files and you may only need 2 ... not very efficient use of your bandwidth or time to download all 10 and trash 8 of the files that you never needed in the first place.

By talking to others... more computer savvy than myself, a client can and should work fine while file skipping... users are well documented about how previous builds did this with no hiccups at all, why can't this one ?

Consider yourself one of the lucky ones.... the write/cache issue is so rampant now it cannot be dismissed as an anomaly to a selected few. Google it... endless forum posts of the same issue. Do you ever skip files in the dialog download window ? If you don't that is probably why you have not seen this annoying issue.

Why should we have to disable or not use important features in the program to get it to work correctly ? Example...there are torrents which may contain 10 files and you may only need 2 ... not very efficient use of your bandwidth or time to download all 10 and trash 8 of the files that you never needed in the first place.

By talking to others... more computer savvy than myself, a client can and should work fine while file skipping... users are well documented about how previous builds did this with no hiccups at all, why can't this one ?

I don't know if I have skipped files with this particular build of uTorrent, but I've certainly done that, be that a torrent of hundreds of songs from which I only want 1 (one) song etc. it always worked as it was supposed to. If I ever had such problems with uTorrent, that it wouldn't perform essential operations, I would have switched it for another client in a heartbeat. At least until they would've solved the problem.

Yep, most of the complaining posts are from posters who haven't read the manual, FAQ or done a search (no matter what those posters say.)

Another class of people play with settings with no idea what they do (or worse they think they know what they do and are wrong.) Then they complain when they themselves cause their own problems: the advanced options say keepa-you-hands-off for a reason.

I've run essentially every version of uTorrent in the 3.0, 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 series and have encountered most of the disk caching, files not moving, speed, etc. problems that people have been complaining about and with (obvious to me) debugging techniques and a little searching I could always get uTorrent to work correctly enough to do what I need. In my reports I've been trying to help, not solve a problem that was stopping me.

I can’t believe the number of people spreading FUD, some of them are obviously malicious, but most are simply arrogant. Conversely the staff and some experienced users are quite helpful, but rarely get the information needed to debug poster's problems.

Case in point, this is crap, you don't need to waste diskspace or time, you can if you want by messing with the advanced settings. But just because there's a file on your disk that says that it's 1G doesn't mean it takes that much disk space. Further by using the option which allows a different extension until a down load is complete you won't be confused by the "edges" of files that have to be downloaded when you select to skip some files.

thefly: what are you talking about?

The download links may all point to the same file (due to support policies) but the files are NOT byte-identical to each other.

I have just re-downloaded the Ver 3.12 Build 26773 and I can assure that is identical to the one I downloaded of Version 3.12 Build 26729. is byte identical. I have several programmes that can doi this and they all give the same result.. No-one has yet addressed this very real issue. Unless the setup programme now downloads the its that changed from that Version from an online source. I have not run this new programme but keep a history of all the various releases.

I am not just talking that the Version 3.12 build 26773 executable has the Version 3.12 Build 26729 stamp on it but that is is very much identical byte by byte to the Build stated above.

The download links may all point to the same file (due to support policies) but the files are NOT byte-identical to each other.

I have just re-downloaded the Ver 3.12 Build 26773 and I can assure that is identical to the one I downloaded of Version 3.12 Build 26729. is byte identical. I have several programmes that can doi this and they all give the same result.. No-one has yet addressed this very real issue. Unless the setup programme now downloads the its that changed from that Version from an online source. I have not run this new programme but keep a history of all the various releases.

I am not just talking that the Version 3.12 build 26773 executable has the Version 3.12 Build 26729 stamp on it but that is is very much identical byte by byte to the Build stated above.

?

C:\Zips\uTorrent>dir utorrent*.*

Directory of C:\Zips\uTorrent\utorrent*.*

11/10/2011 11:24 653,176 utorrent-3.0.1-share-latest.exe

12/02/2011 15:18 731,512 utorrent-3.1-26536.exe

12/03/2011 18:12 734,584 utorrent-3.1-26545.exe

12/04/2011 20:14 734,584 utorrent-3.1-26554.exe

12/05/2011 18:30 735,608 utorrent-3.1-26563.exe

12/07/2011 14:40 736,120 utorrent-3.1-26583.exe

12/08/2011 11:00 736,120 utorrent-3.1-26591.exe

12/09/2011 13:42 736,120 utorrent-3.1-26595.exe

12/15/2011 12:34 735,608 utorrent-3.1-26616.exe

1/10/2012 19:02 735,608 utorrent-3.1-26650.exe

1/18/2012 12:00 743,288 utorrent-3.1.1-26666-beta.exe

1/21/2012 14:02 745,336 utorrent-3.1.1-26674-beta.exe

2/08/2012 18:00 738,168 utorrent-3.2-26729.exe

2/21/2012 16:16 740,216 utorrent-3.2-26763.exe

2/22/2012 16:42 740,216 utorrent-3.2-26773.exe

10/07/2008 16:15 270,128 utorrent.1.8.1.12639.exe

9/04/2009 10:44 288,560 utorrent.1.8.4.exe

11/17/2011 11:24 642,424 utorrent.3.0.0.26473.exe

12,177,376 bytes in 18 files and 0 dirs 12,206,080 bytes allocated

7,146,962,944 bytes free

Besides I've both looked at the signed version numbers and installed them and looked at the version numbers in the about box: they are all different version to version and the vertion in the installer and the version in the about box match.

Case in point' date=' this is crap, you don't need to waste diskspace or time, you can if you want by messing with the advanced settings. But just because there's a file on your disk that says that it's 1G doesn't mean it takes that much disk space. Further by using the option which allows a different extension until a down load is complete you won't be confused by the "edges" of files that have to be downloaded when you select to skip some files.[/quote']

Exactly how much space does a 1GB download take up Mr. professor ? properties> ...... 1 GB=WHAT? 500 MB ? 750 MB ?..... what does it even matter ? it's more than I wanted to download in the first place. Whether it's 10% more or only 99% more, I didn't want it .... but that's the only way according to the staff I can get NO errors... and they are right it works great. I just hit my 250 GB monthly bandwidth limit because of it ... perfect program. "Edges of files" ? ..... since plenty of us "skip files" and the program has a simple dialog box for it... maybe you can help the author add an option to direct us to the "use a different extension option" so they can add it to the UI. Then we don't have to research how to use what should be a simple feature. If it's all that "simple" .... where's the sticky post "temp fix here for ver. 3.1.2xxxx"

Apparently you know more than uTorrent's own authors and admin... maybe they should hire you... since you seem to have it all worked out. If there isn't a serious problem with the program why did an administrator say this...

(Firon, admin) said.... http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=114372 Post #4

"We're looking into this, but more than likely, a fix won't happen until the next release, since the code is involved and pretty messy. We're rewriting disk i/o anyway for the next version."..... (apparently this is just crap too) why would they be trying to "fix" a problem which doesn't even exist ? Since you are the utorrent wannabe tech pro, maybe you should let the staff know how you figured out the problem all by yourself before they write a new version that they don't even need.

With all do respect to the admin, in particular (Firon and "never said I was nice".... DWK) which has been as helpful as much as one would expect for an admitted problem which involves "pretty messy" code writing (we get the same response... are you skipping files ?) I totally get that.... it's business, can't fault them for having to try to continually answer an unanswerable question, I would probably do the same ...

We already know that there is an issue with the program ^^^^^^^... and we get... "are you skipping files" ? (yep, of course we were... I just had to download 2 Gigs of which I needed 1 Gig) worked perfect... why the hell should I have to use up all that bandwidth using a program which has a feature of which we are advised NOT to use.

Yep, most of the complaining posts are from posters who haven't read the manual, FAQ or done a search (no matter what those posters say.)

Really, show me Mr. smart arse where in the FAQ or manual does it say... "Never skip files, even though there is a function for it" .....

Another class of people play with settings with no idea what they do (or worse they think they know what they do and are wrong.) Then they complain when they themselves cause their own problems: the advanced options say keepa-you-hands-off for a reason.

What are you talking about ? The problem is still there whether you use advanced settings or don't even know how to navigate to them. If you have the bugging technique all figured out show "the team" your work so they will know what to do, and save us all some time.... cause your apparently the only one who knows. Plenty of smart guys rolling back to previous versions for no reason at all ? ... maybe their all just stupid and you got it all figured out.

"Another class of people" .... did my browser take me to Huff-Post without my permission again ? Maybe you meant "group"... or maybe your just an arrogant techie wannabe. :D

I've run essentially every version of uTorrent in the 3.0, 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 series and have encountered most of the disk caching, files not moving, speed, etc. problems that people have been complaining about and with (obvious to me) debugging techniques and a little searching I could always get uTorrent to work correctly enough to do what I need. In my reports I've been trying to help, not solve a problem that was stopping me.

After all that and you admit you have to use debugging techniques to get a function to work ? ... damn dude, send them a invoice your doing all the research. Isn't that the job of the author... and the job of admin to keep us informed of the status ?

I can’t believe the number of people spreading FUD, some of them are obviously malicious, but most are simply arrogant. Conversely the staff and some experienced users are quite helpful, but rarely get the information needed to debug poster's problems.

Are your referring to me ? ... quote me directly and make your point. Your not going to hurt my feelings bro... this ain't even close to being my first "forum rodeo" . Google this... "utorrent disk overloaded 100 percent" and come back and tell me this isn't an issue.... when your done reading those... try this one "utorrent flushing to disk" more stupid utorrent users... not as smart as you. No fixes or answers anywhere such anecdotal garbage... tick here and un-tick there and then ..... oh yeah don't any skip files.

These are just the one's Iv'e posted in, started only one... only been a member for a couple weeks... guess all these users are all stupid and arrogant too... here's your chance you tell them yourself... that your smarter than all of us even though you haven't really gave a actual solution nor has any one else... cause there "ain't one until the next version comes out...." maybe ... blah blah blah blah... utorrent cache/issues issues vol 1....

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=113296

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=113600

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=113922

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=114626

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=110738

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=114478

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=114372

We still love uTorrent no matter what I say,

Rolling back to ver. 2 stable ... no "debugging techniques" required :D

Rush.....

?

C:\Zips\uTorrent>dir utorrent*.*

Directory of C:\Zips\uTorrent\utorrent*.*

11/10/2011 11:24 653' date='176 utorrent-3.0.1-share-latest.exe

12/02/2011 15:18 731,512 utorrent-3.1-26536.exe

12/03/2011 18:12 734,584 utorrent-3.1-26545.exe

12/04/2011 20:14 734,584 utorrent-3.1-26554.exe

12/05/2011 18:30 735,608 utorrent-3.1-26563.exe

12/07/2011 14:40 736,120 utorrent-3.1-26583.exe

12/08/2011 11:00 736,120 utorrent-3.1-26591.exe

12/09/2011 13:42 736,120 utorrent-3.1-26595.exe

12/15/2011 12:34 735,608 utorrent-3.1-26616.exe

1/10/2012 19:02 735,608 utorrent-3.1-26650.exe

1/18/2012 12:00 743,288 utorrent-3.1.1-26666-beta.exe

1/21/2012 14:02 745,336 utorrent-3.1.1-26674-beta.exe

2/08/2012 18:00 738,168 utorrent-3.2-26729.exe

2/21/2012 16:16 740,216 utorrent-3.2-26763.exe

2/22/2012 16:42 740,216 utorrent-3.2-26773.exe

10/07/2008 16:15 270,128 utorrent.1.8.1.12639.exe

9/04/2009 10:44 288,560 utorrent.1.8.4.exe

11/17/2011 11:24 642,424 utorrent.3.0.0.26473.exe

12,177,376 bytes in 18 files and 0 dirs 12,206,080 bytes allocated

7,146,962,944 bytes free

Besides I've both looked at the signed version numbers and installed them and looked at the version numbers in the about box: they are all different version to version and the vertion in the installer and the version in the about box match.[/quote']

Then there is something funny happening with my ISP as I have downloaded with a different Software Download manager and still got the same executable identical byte for byte with Ver3.12 Build 26729.. Can't see what is happening. I can download new versions of every other software that uses the same link and get new Versions. This has only been happening with uTorrent since Build 26729.

I have found the solution and it depends on a capital or lower case "t". If one uses the link

"http://download.utorrent.com/3.1.2/utorrent.exe" the filw you get is Ver3.12 Build 26729'

If one instead uses the link

"http://download.utorrent.com/3.1.2/uTorrent.exe" then one gets the newly updated file.

There are obviously two different files on the server and one has a capital T the other older one doesn't and only one has been updated.

So I wasn't mad after all.

After reading your first paragraph I stopped. You've sure shown your ignorance, bias and why no one should read or believe your posts.

You sound like an arrogant troll in your posts... and pretty sure you read all of his paragraphs since you had to point out that you hadn´t. :)

I´ll listen to Rush over you any day of the week, he might swear a bit more than you, but he doesn´t bring the attitude of being a douche.

After reading your first paragraph I stopped. You've sure shown your ignorance' date=' bias and why no one should read or believe your posts.[/quote']

You sound like an arrogant troll in your posts... and pretty sure you read all of his paragraphs since you had to point out that you hadn´t. :)

I´ll listen to Rush over you any day of the week, he might swear a bit more than you, but he doesn´t bring the attitude of being a douche.

Think what you want, I know what I did. I just don't suffer fools gladly. I suspect a sockpuppet.

You are mad, not clicking the links provided on page one OR the main page on this site :P

As for the so called cache related issues, can any of you here provide specific example, including a link to example -torrent, the exact files-selection and settings.dat file? I don't think this possible issue will be fixed unless examples will be posted that will assist in reproducing it!

After reading your first paragraph I stopped. You've sure shown your ignorance, bias and why no one should read or believe your posts.

I would have stopped too when I knew I had no answer or intelligent response to a single point. Facts suck when they get in the way of your anecdotal evidence. Surprised you made it through one paragraph when you realized that this guy does know what he's talking about. Ignorance would be someone who mouths off random garbage of which they cannot backup with empiracal facts and or evidence, that would be you, not me.

How big are "actual" downloads again 1GB=_______ show your work or don't post stupid comments :D

Yea...I'm biased toward what ?.... ignoring problems don't make em disappear .... read the hundreds of posts in multiple forums on this issue and tell me why only FredSam knows the magical fix ? .... wis i wer smrt lik yuo

Version. 2 rollback update ... skip files all day zero errors... What ? All this can be yours free without custom "FredSam debugging" tech tips. :D

After reading your first paragraph I stopped. You've sure shown your ignorance' date=' bias and why no one should read or believe your posts.[/quote']

Think what you want, I know what I did. I just don't suffer fools gladly. I suspect a sockpuppet.

Don't get all paranoid now... I think your saying I have 2 accounts here ? that would be a perma-ban according to forum rules.... ya think I would take that risk just to make a point to you ?....prove it. I haven't a clue who rocketcheeze is but he or she is certainly correct ;)

"Suffer fools gladly" there you go again with what started all this crap in the first place... you already said my first post was just "crap" and now this ? Fred, let it go... I don't back down and from shihite like that so it's best for the whole thread to quit taking up space. Post in a respectful manner and I will always reciprocate, If you disagree... fine just say it in a different way instead of flaming my post in the first place and I will do the same.

Last post about this... time to move on...

IT'S NOT WORKING! sorry to say this but the latest version of utorrent isn't working for me, i tried reinstalling, changing all setting over and over but it always freezes when i : recheck files (it stops rechecking at 99.9% and the program freezes so i can't download anything), the speed isn't even close to the one i had in the previous version etc soo many problems. i'll try to download the previous version cause that one worked like a charm. i don't know what the problem is but i've seen that it uses all my memory when i try to recheck files at it stops at 99.9% so the recheck process never ends,

As for the so called cache related issues, can any of you here provide specific example, including a link to example -torrent, the exact files-selection and settings.dat file? I don't thing this possible issue will be fixed unless examples will be posted that will assist in reproducing it!

Already rolled back... I trash and overwrite all delete's to a non recoverable state... so I can't help with a file but if you got the time, browse through those thread links above.... dozens of examples, and symptoms which are all apparently associated with skipping files. When used as recommended by Firon... not to skip files, it worked perfect... duplicated with 3 straight torrents. Prior to that virtually every torrent with skipped files would load the write cache (at random unpredictable times) and freeze before completed (disk overload 100%) or when raised the size of cache to "any size" .... simply filled that up without writing any files to hdd. which ends with, (flushing to disk)... often just stuck in that state indefinitely.

As for links to particular torrents that I have downloaded...for privacy issues and board integrity that would not be possible in an open forum setting. Don't think it matters what torrent it is... it's the way the download is executed ie. skipping files

All I can say is using the current version and the out of the box or slightly tweaked settings... try any 1GB to 2GB torrent with more than 3 or 4 files... click download and drop down dialog box untick all but target file and start. Observe download in speed/disk stats window if the write stats cache bar rises and doesn't drop to normal queue levels it will sometimes just keep building to auto or user set cache level then shut down. "disk overload 100%" Iv'e duplicated this same scenario at speeds between 25kB/s all the way up to 2.7MB/s down it doesn't really seem to matter. At this point all goes to what appears to be a preset holding pattern speed of 10kB/s total up and down.

Anyway, thanks for asking Rafi, I'm personally done with this version until a new one comes out... my understanding is that this won't be addressed until the next version is released and not in the build updates of this version.

Alright, tired of writing about this... so good luck

Rush.....

IT'S NOT WORKING! sorry to say this but the latest version of utorrent isn't working for me, i tried reinstalling, changing all setting over and over but it always freezes when i : recheck files (it stops rechecking at 99.9% and the program freezes so i can't download anything), the speed isn't even close to the one i had in the previous version etc soo many problems. i'll try to download the previous version cause that one worked like a charm. i don't know what the problem is but i've seen that it uses all my memory when i try to recheck files at it stops at 99.9% so the recheck process never ends,

Your an official member of the club now... read the above ^^^^^^^ posts, where myself and "FredSam" are not trying to kill each other and check those links it will point you in the cache/write direction. Pun intended :D

EDIT: your problem could be something different...next time it happens look at the cache queue in speed disk stats tab and see if the bottom bar write/cache is all green, if it is your torrent files are being held there without your permission and not being released to write files on hdd/ssd.

Rush...

You are mad' date=' not clicking the links provided on page one OR the main page on this site :P

As for the so called [b']cache related issues, can any of you here provide specific example, including a link to example -torrent, the exact files-selection and settings.dat file? I don't think this possible issue will be fixed unless examples will be posted that will assist in reproducing it!

My original link with the lower case came from the first page of this thread. It was changed after Build 26729 with to an upper case T and I am supposed to notice that change. My Download Manager treats both links as identical and I must say I don't really know how I came to notice it myself.

Post screenshots.

Which screenshots? Why would I post screenshots of empty window with traffic in both directions floating at the bottom?

Btw I disabled DHT and it's still here.

I think I will just downgrade to 2.2.1 instead.

FireFox is installed in Program Files, and it pushes updates itself automatically. You don't even know it's been updated until next time you start it, it says "FireFox is applying your updates....".

So, even though you certainly know more than me about these things, there you have an example of software being in Program Files folder and auto-updating itself. Therefore it's not impossible, as you've implied.

Firefox installs a service onto your system to be able to do silent updates (if you don't have UAC disabled anyway). We'd prefer not to do that.

Archived