µTorrent 3.1.2 stable (26821)

Firon

I've never changed diskio.use_partfile to false in uTorrent 3.0. I also never had a disk overload issue on any of the uTorrent versions since I started using the program. Don't know what the problem is on some people's computer. You should try using version 3.0 of uTorrent and see if you still have that problem.

Me neither. It probably manifests itself on higher rate Internet connections

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never changed diskio.use_partfile to false in uTorrent 3.0. I also never had a disk overload issue on any of the uTorrent versions since I started using the program. Don't know what the problem is on some people's computer. You should try using version 3.0 of uTorrent and see if you still have that problem.

It's strange some users have had zero issues with no adjustments or tweaks to anything. And there are obviously way to many to ignore to which this problem requires some sort of mod to the advanced settings or other tweaks.

Makes you wonder if it could possibly be a OS compatibility thing... just throwing out ideas here.

Maybe you could give us your setup ie. OS, uTorrent ver. and maybe speed test etc. Something is weird if some have to do nothing and others have to change settings and or rollback to avoid this issue.

Thank in advance dyep...

Rush.... :)

Me neither. It probably manifests itself on higher rate Internet connections

Could be on to something Rafi... I have a above average 10/100 cable setup which consistently gets 25Mb/s down on speedtest.net.

Most healthy torrents (good seed to peer ratio) I see approx 2.5-2.7MB/s down. sustained..... maybe others with this issue could chime in on there respective down speeds to see if fast down speeds are a common denominator.

That being said since rolling back to v.2 no issues whatsoever....no adjustments/tweaks to advanced or other settings (same exact settings as 3.1.2) and never has "overloaded" :/ makes you scratch your head :|

Rush....

Yes, 2.2.1 also good as I wrote, but it has some unnecessary functions.

But 3+... the download with 3+ is a bad dream because of the disk bug.

dunno if this is your problem or not..do you know the actual speed of your hard drives?

check this post, it may help..http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=109018

a faster hard drive might be the solution. but your pc has to be able to actually allow the speed too, as in it won't make any diff if you use a PII or PIII, 25-35mb per sec is useless

Yes' date=' 2.2.1 also good as I wrote, but it has some unnecessary functions.

But 3+... the download with 3+ is a bad dream because of the disk bug.[/quote']

dunno if this is your problem or not..do you know the actual speed of your hard drives?

a faster hard drive might be the solution. but your pc has to be able to actually allow the speed too, as in it won't make any diff if you use a PII or PIII, 25-35mb per sec is useless

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253821-32-torrents-hard-disk-speed

No probleme with my hard drive, because no probleme with uTorrent 1.7.7. So it is the new uTorrent's fault.

Just a quick thing... Every time I download at a pace faster than 1 MB/s, uT always uses quite a bit more CPU on my computer (from almost zero to ~10-20%, and sometimes the antivirus uses 40-55% after the dl was finished). Is it just me or do others have the exact same issue on using a lot of the PC?

(uT 3.1.2 build 26773 on a Windows 7 Machine)

Just a quick thing... Every time I download at a pace faster than 1 MB/s, uT always uses quite a bit more CPU on my computer (from almost zero to ~10-20%, and sometimes the antivirus uses 40-55% after the dl was finished). Is it just me or do others have the exact same issue on using a lot of the PC?

(uT 3.1.2 build 26773 on a Windows 7 Machine)

What processor are you running... ?

I've watched my CPU at all different speeds all the way up to my max 2.7MB/s down and usage has always been...low to moderate... same with memory... no real substantial difference fast vs. slow downloads . I have seen this in a few threads though... so your not alone. Your hdd/ssd obviously will be working harder with file writes but even my moderately equipped desktop shows nothing to cause alarm in heat and or resource capacity.

What anti virus are you using?... this has come up also in other threads... never seen unusual activity with AVG during or after downloads. I do like to do a custom scan on all torrent folders before I proceed with any activity on enclosed files within. :cool:

Pretty average download... 2.1MB/s down... sorry forgot to arrow...(had Chrome and capture app. running also)

ScreenHunter%2520Captured%2520Image%25201.jpg

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253821-32-torrents-hard-disk-speed

All those notes except for the last one were pre windows7 as well, and the note from 2011 is indicating one of the windows 7 flaws. win7 is seriously slow.

If you are using vista or win7 it really pays to know what your drive speed is for any type of file movement. The speed tests that I did on my other post were on win7 on a duo core N450 @ 1.6Ghz. I did the same tests on win XP pro on the same machine and the results were about 40% higher.

And as my previous post mentions, you can turn off the diskio setting, but with a faster drive there is no need to. If Jack is actually using RAID1, try RAID0 the difference will be mind blowing and I am quite sure the disk overload error will go away.

In regards to the older version of uTorrent,was that also on win7?

My uTorrent was fine till I switched to win7, that was going from a PII 300Mhz with drive speed of 20Mb sec, changed to win7 on the afore mentioned pc and drive speed was 85mb sec, but I was using a usb2 drive which was 35Mb sec, faster than the PII, but because win7 uses so much overhead, it stuttered and was in reality too slow. I was using uTorrent 1.6

Using the internal drive was fast enough but I wanted it external, so I did some tests http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=109018

I now use the 2 esata connections and have 2 RAID0 drives attached drive speed is 10x what I need.

A usb2 drive on a PII 300mhz with XP pro worked fine, bring win7 into the picture and problems arose, my solution was faster drives.

The comments at Toms hardware are basically correct, your internet speed shouldn't be affecting your HD speed, but you can thank win7 or vista for this not always being true.

Rather than post a link to someone elses comment, why not answer my original question,Do you know your actual HD speed? do a test, find out, you might be surprised. If you can't find a copy of Roadkill's speed test..how long does it take to move a 2gb file from 1 physical drive to another? more than 20 seconds? Math aside, I do that(20sec for a 2gb file) on my usb3 drives which test at 120mb sec on my main pc.

let me know, I am only trying to help.

{1} How can I remove the utorrent Search bar. Its practically useless (Since myself download torrents from Firefox while browsing torrent websites, I don't use IE). Any suggestions??? ( FYI : I tried to remove all Search providers form uTorrent but that does not remove search bar).

4e19c07fad834482851cdd3.png

e213ae8991c44f80af4e78f.png

{2} Also can the utorrent devs make the search bar behave like that in Transmission (where Transmissions searches for the text entered in search box in real-time from the list of torrents being downloaded. That's is an awesome feature. )...

ae19b59ffe4f4ffdb9dd8dc.png

Thanks a lot.:)

PS. : I'm running utorrent 3.1.2 (26773) on Windows XP

The comments at Toms hardware are basically correct, your internet speed shouldn't be affecting your HD speed, but you can thank win7 or vista for this not always being true.

Rather than post a link to someone elses comment, why not answer my original question,Do you know your actual HD speed? do a test, find out, you might be surprised. If you can't find a copy of Roadkill's speed test..how long does it take to move a 2gb file from 1 physical drive to another? more than 20 seconds? Math aside, I do that(20sec for a 2gb file) on my usb3 drives which test at 120mb sec on my main pc.

let me know, I am only trying to help.

Thanks Tesla for the research .... but with all do respect to yourself and uTorrent staff, for myself and hundreds of others... this version has cache/write issues and they have already admitted as much. So why are we chasing hard drive issues again? Moving huge files from directly from storage A to storage B is not exactly the same as a download stored in uTorrent cache, queued to write to hdd/ssd files. Could you maybe site an example more relevant to this issue ?

Please take the time and look at above screenshot #7 .... notice the version "2.1.1" then look at the speed. With 700MB to download it took less than 10min. With the same exact settings in ver. 3.1.2xxxxx .... would get the same approx download speed until the error would shut down everything. After maybe 4 or 5 stops and starts, if it didn't go into the "flushing to disk forever mode" I might get it done in approx an hour... just seconds away from destroying property and or myself.

If this is a hard drive i/o thing, could your point myself and the hundreds of others with this issue to a link in FAQ or uTorrent guide which shows special min. requirements for hard disk performance for using ver 3.1.2xxxxx? And why this version has a different requirement than previous versions, which in my case at least requires no expensive hdd/ssd upgrade?... (fyi I don't use win 7) so all the posts in my link circa 2009 would be completely relevant. Sine none of them mentioned exclusions to OS systems available at the time. (all versions pre Vista SP2)

Rush.....

I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Using the latest uTorrent 3.0 and I download consistently at 3MB/s. All I did was disable Windows caching of disk writes and disable Windows caching of disk reads, which I recommend everyone to do if you haven't already.

{2} Also can the utorrent devs make the search bar behave like that in Transmission (where Transmissions searches for the text entered in search box in real-time from the list of torrents being downloaded. That's is an awesome feature.

I've mentioned this a couple of times, I end up labeling everything and having to click to sort quite often.

{2} Also can the utorrent devs make the search bar behave like that in Transmission (where Transmissions searches for the text entered in search box in real-time from the list of torrents being downloaded. That's is an awesome feature.

I've mentioned this a couple of times' date=' I end up labeling everything and having to click to sort quite often.[/quote']

Labeling is good... But if you have many torrent belonging to same type or category ... Labeling can get messy and may require some thinking and effort from user.

Whereas Search feature of Transmission is awesome... All modern software that display list of data have a real-time search feature nowadays (even Windows and Mac itself have it in explorer and finder.)

utorrent devs should try to include this... Its a must. :cool:

I am tired of utorrent developers who create a new version almost every day and cant fix such important bugs! They even do not notice it! "Check your HDD speed". Holy Jesus. Why 2.x and even 3.0.x versions work fine, but this doesn't? I have checked it on 3 computers (Windows XP/Vista + 7 with SSD hard drive)! Or SSD is not already fast enough for the new Utorrent?

BTW, Vuze works fine even when i diselect some files from 7GB torrent

Hello I am using the newest version of utorrent,just upgrading from 1.7.7,I am on i7 with a pci-e ssd HDD and as soon as I upgraded to the newest version,I downloaded a well seeded linux torrent and as soon as i reach arounf 1.0mb\s I get the disk overloaded 100% almost instantly.Is there a permanent fix?

I have tried all the online fixes,and they are only bandaids-the problem returns.And that really sucks,since I would love to use the newest version of the software,especially since 1.7.7 does not supports magnet links...

Just to add my 2 cents. I "upgraded" from the last 2.x release (i forget the exact version), which had up times more than 6 months on my XP machine and now with 3.1.2 I come home every day to a hung utorrent. Some times I catch it before it crashes and it is very sluggish, taking 30 seconds or more to get to the file dialogue and close it. The maximum my connection can do is 600 kb/sec and I only have 3 active downloads at a time. It used to do that all day long without problems in the previous version of utorrent. I've tried the few disk cache adjustments mentioned on this forum but they haven't made any difference. I do have it set to move files to an external drive when a torrent finishes, those moves seem to complete without pegging the CPU so I'm not sure exactly what's going wrong.

Hello I am using the newest version of utorrent,just upgrading from 1.7.7,I am on i7 with a pci-e ssd HDD and as soon as I upgraded to the newest version,I downloaded a well seeded linux torrent and as soon as i reach arounf 1.0mb\s I get the disk overloaded 100% almost instantly.Is there a permanent fix?

In version 3.1.2? No... there are work-arounds in advanced settings and some have had satisfactory results with changes in cache settings, and others still have no issues at all. For myself the easiest fix after mixed results with "tweaks" in 3.1.2 was to simply rollback to this version... "2.1.1 build 25302" ( last stable ver. 2) uTorrent staff does not give advise or support rollbacks (DO NOT ASK THEM !!!!)... but myself and others do.... also users cannot tell you were to find archive downloads in open forum setting... (... if you go this route, your on your own, both in the download location and or support... period.)

Some have gone back to ver. 1 ... but as noted somewhere in this thread, and I agree... ver 1.xxxxxx has other flaws and lacks important features avail in later versions . I have had zero errors so far on 2.1.1 at speeds up to 2.7MB/s sustained. Little different UI but otherwise has most of the same bells and whistles as 3.1.2. The UI, IMHO is also more attractive and easier on the eyes. Looking forward for the next GEN. of uTorrent, but for now this works fine for my needs. At least I didn't have to go to Vuse. :cool:

I have tried all the online fixes,and they are only bandaids-the problem returns.And that really sucks,since I would love to use the newest version of the software,especially since 1.7.7 does not supports magnet links...

As noted in above ^^^^^ you don't need to go back that far... 2.1.1 build 25302 is a very capable ver. and should solve all your error issues related to cache/ write errors, with no advanced setting mods and or tweaks. (also handles magnets fine)

I have upgraded to 3.1.2. what happened to the "find" window at the top left of the screen. Better yet how do I get the previous version back and reenter my "comfort zone" because I am having a hell of time not being able to search torrents. I now have to go directly to Pirate Bay which I didn't have to do with the old version. Some body help me please. Probably can guess that I'm a real novice. Any assistance is much appreciated

I have upgraded to 3.1.2. what happened to the "find" window at the top left of the screen. Better yet how do I get the previous version back and reenter my "comfort zone" because I am having a hell of time not being able to search torrents. I now have to go directly to Pirate Bay which I didn't have to do with the old version. Some body help me please. Probably can guess that I'm a real novice. Any assistance is much appreciated

Click here....

Then here.....

Find/search box appears here....

ScreenHunter%2520Captured%2520Image%25204.jpg

If you still want to rollback... post back in "general"... uTorrent staff does not advise or assist in rollbacks (do not ask moderator/admin)...it is not personal, it's "forum policy"... myself or another forum peer can show steps and versions (not links to download locations) in open forum... this you will have to find on your own. Also you may have posted in the wrong place, the moderator might move this to troubleshooting or general. Read index carefully and choose most relevant topic. :cool:

Good luck,

Rush....

Archived