µTorrent 3.1.2 stable (26821)

Firon

-- 2012-02-22: Version 3.1.2 stable (build 26773)

- Fix: survey link click to dismiss mechanism

- Fix: fixed bug where multi-file torrents would not be copied to new volumes

Hihi there Firon! I'm Cassy - Ya, new member and first time poster, but I have been using Utorrent for over a year, I would guess.

You know.. I see peeps here complaining that you're fixing thingys every day.. complaining that you haven't fixed this or that.. complaining that you haven't put in this or that.. but what I do NOT SEE is anyone bothering to once THANK YOU TONS AND TONS for providing us with such a wonderful, FREE program to begin with!!

For my part, I would like to THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the effort and trouble you put into this wickedly KEWL program AND certainly for the fact that you provide it all for FREE!! I LOVE your program! It's SO TINY and EASY to use and it's just.. PERFECT for me!

I do so hope you won't let the thanks you DON'T get, but certain DO DESERVE, to make you upset or angry or want to quit. I know what it is like to do something and have others use that effort but never thank you for it, and it can really be tempting to just think, "those ungrateful maggot snots! Fine! I'll just do it for myself and not provide it to them!" - Ya, but I didn't do that.. though now and then I still do think it! :)

ANYWAY, I did want to post this, and let you know that I DO appreciate your work and efforts, and I hope you'll pass my thank you onto all the other peeps there that help with Utorrent!

Huggles and be well!

Cassy - Ya, I'm small, but so is a grenade. :)

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that this daily and sometimes twice a day updating of "stable" 3.1.2 is annoying to say the least!

I will stand for one maybe two further updates, and if this continues, I'm downgrading.

It's not just the updating that's annoying, it's that my antivirus goes crazy and starts scanning, and uTorrent itself becomes unresponsive for some time after the update. It's becoming unacceptable.

Sounds like the problem here is really your crappy antivirus. :P

-- 2012-02-22: Version 3.1.2 stable (build 26773)

- Fix: survey link click to dismiss mechanism

- Fix: fixed bug where multi-file torrents would not be copied to new volumes

Hihi there Firon! I'm Cassy - Ya' date=' new member and first time poster, but I have been using Utorrent for over a year, I would guess.

You know.. I see peeps here complaining that you're fixing thingys every day.. complaining that you haven't fixed this or that.. complaining that you haven't put in this or that.. but what I do NOT SEE is anyone bothering to once THANK YOU TONS AND TONS for providing us with such a wonderful, FREE program to begin with!!

For my part, I would like to THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the effort and trouble you put into this wickedly KEWL program AND certainly for the fact that you provide it all for FREE!! I LOVE your program! It's SO TINY and EASY to use and it's just.. PERFECT for me!

I do so hope you won't let the thanks you DON'T get, but certain DO DESERVE, to make you upset or angry or want to quit. I know what it is like to do something and have others use that effort but never thank you for it, and it can really be tempting to just think, "those ungrateful maggot snots! Fine! I'll just do it for myself and not provide it to them!" - Ya, but I didn't do that.. though now and then I still do think it! :)

ANYWAY, I did want to post this, and let you know that I DO appreciate your work and efforts, and I hope you'll pass my thank you onto all the other peeps there that help with Utorrent!

Huggles and be well!

Cassy - Ya, I'm small, but so is a grenade. :)[/quote']

Thanks! It's always good to see a bit of thanks from one of our users. :)

Hopefully you'll keep liking the client and giving us feedback on it. We'll keep working on making it better.

And welcome to the forums. :)

People who complain about constant bug fixes and updates to uTorrent need to lose their posting privileges. :D

Seriously though, you should all be thankful they are getting bug fixes out really quick instead of waiting weeks or months to patch things up. Keep the updates/fixes coming, don't listen to the negative people. People are always afraid of change and same thing happened when FireFox started releasing new versions of their browser every 6 weeks compared to every few months or so... and now people are used to it and they get new features and fixes out a lot quicker thanks to Google Chrome starting the trend. :)

Hey guys, I love that you're updating the client so rapidly.

That said, please consider giving us an option to download and install updates automatically, so you can push updates faster without the users complaining about constant prompting. Google already does this with chrome and nobody's complaining.

We uTorrent users think of you as the good guys, and we wouldn't complain if you decide to auto-update the client. If you make this opt-in, you would get even less complaints.

I hope one of the next (manual) updates to uTorrent includes an auto update option. I won't stop using or updating the client if you don't, but it would surely save me (and others) some time.

Kind regards,

Ariel

Hey guys, I love that you're updating the client so rapidly.

That said, please consider giving us an option to download and install updates automatically, so you can push updates faster without the users complaining about constant prompting. Google already does this with chrome and nobody's complaining.

We uTorrent users think of you as the good guys, and we wouldn't complain if you decide to auto-update the client. If you make this opt-in, you would get even less complaints.

I hope one of the next (manual) updates to uTorrent includes an auto update option. I won't stop using or updating the client if you don't, but it would surely save me (and others) some time.

Kind regards,

Ariel

We can't right now... the update process requires UAC because we install to Program Files, so a prompt is necessary.

We're planning on changing it to install like Chrome in the future, though. Then we can do this.

Upload Limit does not work!

I does seem to work on the upload payload-data.

It does NOT work on the upload overhead caused by your download (Bandwidth->Apply rate limit to transport overhead)

It simply does NOT work since the last 2 updates, I never changed setttings in between.

We can't right now... the update process requires UAC because we install to Program Files, so a prompt is necessary.

We're planning on changing it to install like Chrome in the future, though. Then we can do this.

Maybe you can have a look at how Mozilla will do their silent auto-update feature, I could be wrong but I think their solution (for "bypassing" UAC) involves running a "firefox update" windows service (see here).

Regarding the constant updates, I'm one of those that are greatful for them! and think us users have only to benefit from them (why hold on to a fix or new feature - after it's deemed "stable" - says I...). The only problem with it is the time I take to push "Yes I want to update" after the update has been released :-)

Upload Limit does not work!

I does seem to work on the upload payload-data.

It does NOT work on the upload overhead caused by your download (Bandwidth->Apply rate limit to transport overhead)

It simply does NOT work since the last 2 updates' date=' I never changed setttings in between.[/quote']

Any speed-graph screenshot(displaying also overhead)?

I agree that this daily and sometimes twice a day updating of "stable" 3.1.2 is annoying to say the least!

I will stand for one maybe two further updates, and if this continues, I'm downgrading.

It's not just the updating that's annoying, it's that my antivirus goes crazy and starts scanning, and uTorrent itself becomes unresponsive for some time after the update. It's becoming unacceptable.

Look at the listed fixes for that build number... if they do not apply to you select "no" ... there is no other reason to select "yes" on every build. I stopped updating about 4 builds ago... and don't see a need to until the next version comes out.

Some antivirus utilities may block a torrent file if they think it's potentially harmful. Excluding the download folders from indexing should solve the issue.

Sounds like the problem here is really your crappy antivirus.

No, because my AV NEVER acts up, except with your crappy updates. And uTorrent itself is unresponsive for a long while, as if I'm running Pentium I 200MHz with 16MB RAM.

AV is Sophos Endpoint Security, and it never runs scans out of the blue for no apparent reason. Something is triggering it from uTorrent, I just don't know what it is.

That said' date=' please consider giving us an option to download and install updates automatically, so you can push updates faster without the users complaining about constant prompting. Google already does this with chrome and nobody's complaining.

We uTorrent users think of you as the good guys, and we wouldn't complain if you decide to auto-update the client. ...[/quote']

FireFox is installed in Program Files, and it pushes updates itself automatically. You don't even know it's been updated until next time you start it, it says "FireFox is applying your updates....".

So, even though you certainly know more than me about these things, there you have an example of software being in Program Files folder and auto-updating itself. Therefore it's not impossible, as you've implied.

No, because my AV NEVER acts up, except with your crappy updates. And uTorrent itself is unresponsive for a long while..

Turn that around and what do you have? - I mean no one else is complaining about their AV having problems with Utorrent updating. I never have any issues with Utorrent updating. I also don't have slow-downs and no one else is reporting slowdowns.

I think the solution could be simple - Ya, put Utorrent in the "don't bother / scan / mess with" part of your anti-virus program and see if the next update does anything. If it doesn't then you know it's an issue with your AV and Utorrent. Then you can decide what you want to do. I mean it's not like you have to worry about Utorrent downloading a virus if you're getting your updates directly from Utorrent.

Something is triggering it from uTorrent, I just don't know what it is.

I've never read about your AV thingy, but it doesn't matter. Since no one else is having the issue with all the other AVs they have running on their various systems - I mean we are discussing TONS and TONS of peeps that use this tons wonderful program! - then it IS probably the way your AV works, how it "thinks".

That said' date=' please consider giving us an option to download and install updates automatically,

[/quote']

FireFox is installed in Program Files, and it pushes updates itself automatically. You don't even know it's been updated until next time you start it, it says "FireFox is applying your updates....".

So, even though you certainly know more than me about these things, there you have an example of software being in Program Files folder and auto-updating itself. Therefore it's not impossible, as you've implied.

Uhmm, Kriket, as you said, you (nor I) know more than the nice critters at Utorrent about these thingys. So maybe under the way Utorrent is made and working with the operating system does make it impossible as it is?

I mean Utorrent could spend the time and effort to re-work it and everything so you don't have to push a button and wait those awful 5 seconds for Utorrent to shut down, and come back up - ya, horrors of horrors! - but why should they?

All in all, I think your best answer is to put Utorrent in the "always allow / leave it alone" part of your AV. Then updates won't bother you and everything will be perfect! - Ya, happiness! :)

Of course, you can just turn OFF updating and only update now and then - maybe on "Patch Tuesday" when Windows 7 / XP are updated each month?

OR you can just stomp off in a huff and use some other program? I mean the peeps at Utorrent would like you to like their program and I LOVE their program, but I didn't pay for it so they are under NO OBLIGATION whatsoever to me!

Anyway, best of luck! :)

Cassy - ya, bouncy, bubbly, happy me! :)

Why are all versions of the setup files from Ver3.12 Build 26729 all the way to Ver3.12 Build 26773 absolutely identical files. Can anyone explain this?

If you go to where your Utorrent program is installed, you will see 1 file; utorrent.exe - that's it. That's also the file you download when you get Utorrent.

I think the peeps at Utorrent made the program file the setup file too. What I mean, is that instead of downloading one file (like setup_utorrent_26773.exe) and having that install utorrent, everything is packed into one tiny file.

So it wouldn't change it's name. BUT you can right click on the file and go to Properties and then the Details tab and see the version number of that file.

I mean if you want to keep track of the different versions for some reason, you can take each uTorrent.exe and put it in a folder with the version number on the folder..?

Hope some of that helps?

Cassy - Queen of the Moat Monster Union.

People who complain about constant bug fixes and updates to uTorrent need to lose their posting privileges. :D

Your just kidding right... do you browse any other threads... like in troubleshooting/ or speed problem ? .... If the daily updates actually addressed the number one BUG.... "files stuck forever in cache/write hell" and "disk/flushing ETA.... who know's" ...then I would totally agree with you, otherwise the daily updates are worthless if you can't even use the damn program.

Check the dozens of active and CLOSED threads on this topic and tell me it's not a huge issue... there are numerous users doing rollbacks and some jumping ship to different clients. I've got my band-aid fix working "sort of" .... but all the features of this version cannot be utilized, so whats the point of daily updates and acting like there ain't a giant elephant in the room ?

Turn that around and what do you have? - I mean no one else is complaining about their AV having problems with Utorrent updating. I never have any issues with Utorrent updating. I also don't have slow-downs and no one else is reporting slowdowns.

The thing is, now that you mention other people's problems with uTorrent bugs, I myself don't have any problems whatsoever, at least I haven't noticed any. Every uTorrent version that I used until now over the years, including these countless 3.1.2 builds, worked just fine for me - they get me the torrents I download without any hassle - no disk caching issues, no memory leaks, nothing - they all work the same for me. If they have/had any bugs (and they certainly must have), they didn't affect me in any way that I would notice.

That being said, the only thing that "bugs" me are these numerous updates, which affect my system in the way I mentioned before. I don't know why uTorrent, when it is freshly installed or updated, works slowly on my system, as if I started Photoshop or some other system hog, and not a 723KB exe file. After a while, it settles and works normally, as if it needs some time (a day or two) to literally settle down. I also don't know what the AV keeps scanning upon updating, but it obviously isn't uTorrent folder(s) because the scanning lasts long and slows down everything. It stops when I exit uTorrent. When I start it again, it resumes.

So, if you ask me, the only bug I've experienced with uTorrent, is that upon update it renders my system slow for a while. I don't know exactly how long it lasts or what's going on, but it bothers me, because otherwise everything is fine, and then comes the uTorrent update, hogging my system as if I was running full system scan in the background (which I never do).

And there you have it, some people have real problems for which they count on updates to solve them, and I have no problems except the updates themselves which affect my system in a strange way. Go figure...

Archived