µTorrent 3.1.2 stable (26821)

Firon

Another thing i notice is that i can override the automatic cache size and get rid of the disk overload when i crank it up to max (1800 MiB)' date=' but when a torrent is finished i get a "Flushing to disk (3388)" in the "Status" for that specific torrent.[/quote']

Maybe a specific-torrent related issue? Any link to it ?

And on a side note uTorrent is eating up 15% of my i7 quad core, where libtorrent-based clients such as qBittorrent / Deluge only uses 2% max even when hashing and down/uploading.

Maybe it is AV related ? Any screenshots ?

At that moment I was picking out random torrents from tpb just to max out my connection and to recreate the disk overload bug, so i can't remember that specific torrent. Later i got the same "Flushing to disk" but with a (32) instead of (3388). Don't think it is a specific-torrent related issue.

I have excluded uTorrent from Microsoft Security Essentials now, will see if that helps. Have no screenshots at the moment.

Nop still using 15% of my i7 quad core with AV disabled.

screenshot: http://bayimg.com/nAMoAAadG

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another way to help would be the implementation of the "move to another dir when torrent enter status finished" function

I think you can implement this with "run this program when torrent changes state" (in advanced->run program)

Maybe' date=' but how can I prevent utorrent to report a missing file or blocking access if utorrent still locks one or more files of the torrent?

And why should I go through the hassle of setting up a script when the programmers could do it more nicely in the program itself? ;)

"set download location" function which allows me to move several torrents

+ 1 ...

We need more votes in the idea bank and I think a consolidation of ideas to accumulate the votes would be a nice thing to do. :cool:

Notes re my install problems with new 3.1.2 version on Windows XP SP3, replacing former 3.1 version...

The internal utorrent query update operation said there wasn't an update available, which wasn't true. I had 3.1 and 3.1.2 became available according to the utorrent website. That's OK. I never do updates anyway. I only install complete new versions. So I downloaded the new version installer.

Unfortunately the utorrent website totally lacks infomation about installing a new version to replace a former version. So I didn't know whether I should or could install it over my old one. Thus I flipped a coin, which came up heads, which helped me to decide. I opted to uninstall the old version first.

Good thing I backed up the utorrent appdata folder first, because after uninstalling the old version (keeping my settings, supposedly, by not checking that box in the uninstaller) then installing new version, my settings were *not* retained!? I had several active torrents which simply disappeared, and the utorrent settings were obviously not retained otherwise. So I renamed the new appdata folder to .old and replaced with the former saved appdata folder. Apparently my old settings were restored OK thereby. Things look normal so far.

Unfortunately in that process the installer froze, maybe because I denied it permission to access the ZA trusted zone. I had to close it out as an unresponsive program, not responding to Windows. It seems that the installation completed nevertheless, at least things are behaving OK so far. However that leaves me with a lack of confidence in the utorrent software integrity. Will I experience some unknown bugs in future as a result?

There were some unwanted items that appeared during the installation process related to modifying my browser (homepage, toolbar, etc) which hopefully I sidestepped by unchecking those boxes. My browser still looks normal so far.

Reply comments not expected or needed. This is just a FYI post.

Did you try also with Pref.->General->preallocate files - unchecked ?

It happened once. 2GB of wasted disk space is not a joke :(

ut part file wasn't created. But ut had written whole files.

Only few hours later It made a part file for another pieces.

try this

Pref.->General->preallocate files - checked (after restart ut)

also post your disk cache settings

'Preferences->General->Pre-allocate all files' was already checked.

Disk Cache settings screenshot:

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/6789/diskcache.jpg

Maybe, but how can I prevent utorrent to report a missing file or blocking access if utorrent still locks one or more files of the torrent?

And why should I go through the hassle of setting up a script when the programmers could do it more nicely in the program itself? wink

You don’t need t prevent anything. In finished state there shouldn't be any blocked files, if there are - it is a bug. A simple "move" command is not a "script" and does not know if files are missing.

You cannot embedd all the options everyone wants . Such a general feature is for covering 100 other possible similar "features" people want...

try the cache settings in my sig/tips

By the way, I tried this from your tips:

1b. ->reduce memory usage when the cache is not needed - is unchecked

And the memory leaking I mentioned in my previous post got even worse. The memory usage now grows at a speed of 100k-300k per second.

try the cache settings in my sig/tips

By the way' date=' I tried this from your tips:

1b. ->reduce memory usage when the cache is not needed - is unchecked

And the memory leaking I mentioned in my previous post got even worse. The memory usage now grows at a speed of 100k-300k per second.[/quote']

I have it on Win7/x86 (32bit) w/o issues. But hey, I guess 64 bit + hundreds of active torrents - is something else...

Whaaaaaaaaaa???????

I don't like talking negative about free programs but goddamnit, this cache bug you keep fixing/reintroducing is ridiculous.

Either fix bugs or bloat the program...

Do you have "Apply rate limit to overhead" enabled? That seems to be be what allows the cache to exceed its limits massively like what you're showing. With it disabled it doesn't exceed but the download slows down... I think they wrote some throttling in to compensate for the inefficiencies in the new disk cache code but for some reason the apply to overhead setting circumvents it.

I see. I guess 3.2 (former 3.1.1) will be the release to test this properly with.

I can say one thing for sure about the functionality of this Apply to overhead setting - it seems to not work as I expect it for *upload* rates - it simply does not limit any download overhead (the related acks in the upload).

But, I would wait till they sync "3.1.1" with 3.2 fixes, and start beta testing with it.

You cannot embedd all the options everyone wants . Such a general feature is for covering 100 other possible similar "features" people want...

Yes, I know. But this point is valid for all the features which have been added and only some people want or even use. :P

Thankfully we both agreed that the "move all selected torrents at once" feature is kinda needed. :D

Another bug I reported somewhere for version 3.1 or later is still there: the randomly not updated/ changed status from "Moving" to "[F] Seeding" still occurs, except it happens even more randomly than before.

I stand corrected: it happens even more often. At the moment 16 out of 18 torrents that finished are still "stuck" with the "Moving" status even though the files are already moved for hours. :(

It is a "simple" matter of not refreshing/updating the GUI .... :P Just reselect the category

If you're talking about selecting "Torrents" or "Downloading" or "Seeding" etc or any of the labels or sorting the list by a different coloum - that doesn't change anything. The torrents which get hit are still stuck with "Moving". Or am I missing something here?

Notes re my install problems with new 3.1.2 version on Windows XP SP3, replacing former 3.1 version...

The internal utorrent query update operation said there wasn't an update available, which wasn't true. I had 3.1 and 3.1.2 became available according to the utorrent website. That's OK. I never do updates anyway. I only install complete new versions. So I downloaded the new version installer.

Unfortunately the utorrent website totally lacks infomation about installing a new version to replace a former version. So I didn't know whether I should or could install it over my old one. Thus I flipped a coin, which came up heads, which helped me to decide. I opted to uninstall the old version first.

Good thing I backed up the utorrent appdata folder first, because after uninstalling the old version (keeping my settings, supposedly, by not checking that box in the uninstaller) then installing new version, my settings were *not* retained!? I had several active torrents which simply disappeared, and the utorrent settings were obviously not retained otherwise. So I renamed the new appdata folder to .old and replaced with the former saved appdata folder. Apparently my old settings were restored OK thereby. Things look normal so far.

Unfortunately in that process the installer froze, maybe because I denied it permission to access the ZA trusted zone. I had to close it out as an unresponsive program, not responding to Windows. It seems that the installation completed nevertheless, at least things are behaving OK so far. However that leaves me with a lack of confidence in the utorrent software integrity. Will I experience some unknown bugs in future as a result?

There were some unwanted items that appeared during the installation process related to modifying my browser (homepage, toolbar, etc) which hopefully I sidestepped by unchecking those boxes. My browser still looks normal so far.

Reply comments not expected or needed. This is just a FYI post.

Denying access in your firewall will definitely break things.

As for the uninstall issue, we're aware of it always deleting settings and we'll fix that in the next update (later today, probably).

You don't need to uninstall to upgrade in the future, though. Just close the old version, then run the new one, and you're done.

Archived