Network slows to a crawl

zenn68

set up utorrent on a headless Ubuntu 11,10 server. Installation went pretty smooth following one of the guides on here. But as a file starts to download the whole network is unusable. Utorrent chugs away for about the first 75% of the download the it too slows down to the teens.

Haven't changed any of the defaults other than to setup download and watch folders. Any settings I can look at? Cant even send an email while a file is downloading, anyone experiencing this behavior.

set up utorrent on a headless Ubuntu 11,10 server. Installation went pretty smooth following one of the guides on here. But as a file starts to download the whole network is unusable. Utorrent chugs away for about the first 75% of the download the it too slows down to the teens.

Haven't changed any of the defaults other than to setup download and watch folders. Any settings I can look at? Cant even send an email while a file is downloading, anyone experiencing this behavior.

I used to experience this behaviour on a crappy netgear cable modem gateway I had once, the only way I could get it to work better is to reduce the global connection count to around 80ish. If you see that your modem is constantly rebooting while trying to download a torrent then it may be a related problem. (I think it is caused by overloading the nat translation table or something... can't be sure though). I no longer use the netgear modem nor have cable broadband any more so I can't confirm that issue.

Archived