stable 3.1.2 build 26729 not honouring max upload slots setting right

TK1

after having upgraded from last 2.x stable to stable 3.1.2 build 26729 and giving it a try out found another bug, being on a slow domestic ADSL connection I normally have utorrent set for 1 upload slot at a time so my upstream does not get saturated and everything else grinds to a halt. I left the setting as it was after upgrading to this new version and just downloaded some new torrents with it, only to find 9 hours after the download completed that 0 bytes had been uploaded, checked all the peers that were asking for an upload and all of them were flaged "u" and none flagged "U"! I need to set it to 2 to have it even start uploading to anyone, then it allows 1 slot per torrent. Setting 3 allows 2 slots per torrent, setting to 4 allows 3 slots per torrent and probably so on...

for me it is reproducable.

I fine tune for best overall performance guides are just guides and do not cater for shared connections etc, and I like to give each recipient a half decent squirt of data rather than a few kilobytes per second over several peers.

Yes I am 100% certain that version 2.x release I used previously did permit uploads to peers when set for 1 upload slot per torrent. Also remember it's 1 slot PER torrent not overall, and if I am seeding several torrents, which i am seeding a couple all the time utorrent is running plus the ones I am actively downloading and seeding beyond downloading the upload slots overall adds up.

So far found 2 solid bugs and one possible that I need to revive the old 2.x build to check its behavour before I report it... but if the third one proves to be another bug in this "stable" build I plan on reverting back to 2.x until a truely stable build can be made as this has obvious bugs that should have been caught in alpha and various beta phases and release candidates!

I am seeing different behaviour. It does do slots per torrent with a global upload slots that it won't exceed the value of which has to be infered by totting up the live upload slots once the number refuses to increase as the per torrent value is increased. Seeing as you have global max connections exposed I see no reason other than dificulty finding a GUI location to put it, to not expose the max global upload slots too.

In my case with the torrents I am currently seeding the global upload slots is 8 and with two actively seeding torrents the highest value that has an effect is 5 slots per torrent which results in 4 slots only per actively seeding torrent totaling eight. If I drop it to 4 slots per torrent setting then the number or upload slots that utorrent assigns is 3 per torrent and since it does not exceed the global limit that was infered earlier of 8 global slots it should not be one less than the setting and certainly should not be zero when it is set for 1!

If you don't want users to use a control and you firmly believe it will atract more users to the program by removing the facility to "micromanage" the protocol then remove all the advanced settings and all the protocol related settings in the options and watch many users revolt and revert to earlier versions that permit "micromanagment". Since the setting exists and it does do what it did before provided the unexposed global limit is not reached except the setting is out by 1 slot... It's a simple maths bug somewhere. Sure I can do workarounds and devise my own workarounds but this is a comunity and while I can figure out some things others may not be able to or be willing to use workarounds for maths errors within a program that is why when we spot a bug we post them, not to have them explained away as dont worry just add one to the value and don't try to micromanage! but to give the developers a chance to fix their program and make it better.

I am a little annoyed this was released as a stable release when there are clear and present bugs that actually stopped all uploads until I altered a setting that was not set to or intended to stop all uploads. If I wanted to be doing beta tests and release candidate tests I would have selected that option: Update to beta versions! which I did not.

Note this is not the Support section but Bug Reports section of the forum. I always thought developers wanted their programs to have reputations of being solid and well coded, not "yeah it was a solid little bittorrent client once but has got lots of little bugs now, you have to work around em to get it to work right on your connection even in stable release versions!":(

I just restored 2.2.1 build 25130 and it too apears to have a global limit on upload slots but that version won't go above 10 total upload slots instead of 8 total upload slots in 3.12 build 26729, in addition in 2.2.1 build 25130 setting upload slots per torrent to 0 does NOT disable uploads but leaves the actual number as if it was set to 1, which is more in the spirit of bittorrent file sharing, the new version permits 100% leeching by switching off uploading altogether which will get utorrent a very bad reputation in file sharing circles could even result in the client versions being blocked as a bad client because it'll become known to be used to take without giving back to the swarm. I won't be going back to 3.1.2 build 26729 until a true fixed version is released with all three bugs I've reported are fixed, the third bug is allowing the user to completely disable uploads without penalty which is not bittorrent protocol friendly at all, if we all did that the system would grind to a halt and no one would seed.

uT actually works a little differently now. It has a concept of global upload slots (which isn't directly exposed as a setting), so it won't just do slots * torrents. Just set it to a higher number than 1 and don't try to micromanage.

uTorrent "setup-guide" dialog specify "1" for <64K connections, Firon. If the "concept" has been changed, I suggest to update both this setup dialog and the help file accordingly, so that at least some people can understand... :)

BTW, what is the exact current upload slots-logic now? how is this global # being set? I was under the impression that alus's work on that was reverted ...

Archived