Latest version - Disk overload all the time

lonewolf77

Granted I'll still be stuck in "flushing to disk" after that

Exactly. You'll end up writing to the HD the same amount of data at the exact same (slow) speed later on. So the total download/write time is the same.

And until they'll improve on it, you might want to check for proper HD alignment, with something like http://diskat.net/download-en.html. Alignment can increase speed by ~20%.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Instant overload, the minute 3.2 was installed. Back to 3.1.3, it works better. My v.3.1.3. settings:

Can you at least tell us your OS and what you were downloaded at the time it happened? Single/multi file torrent? You DL speed?

Seems to fit the "profile" of this issue :( (though I did reach 10MBps)... I does happen more often on slower HDs, though.

You can try 3.2.1, with a >=128M cache , pre-allocated files, diskio.use_partfile - false, and coalesce_write - 4194304. And see if your cache is not being overrun (another bug...).

• 1 month later...

Can any of your check the speed-tab - > cache statistics tab, to see if when overload occurs - if the cache size limit is being broken, and if does not go right back under the limit ? Screenshots?

Also - can you note if you see "L" for local peers on your status bar when this happens?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using version 2.2.1 for about the past 6 months and things have been working fine. I would have the occasional disk overload message when I was downloading a whole bunch of torrents and also doing other disk intensive jobs on the computer at the same time, but for the most part things would be smooth. Typical download speeds around 2.0MB/s and default disk cache settings. Three days ago though, everything changed. The write cache would overfill and NEVER write out to disk. This would happen even with just one small torrent downloading. Changing disk cache settings had no effect. I was just about to switch clients when I found a post somewhere else. I use windows 7 (32 bit ultimate). To suggestion was to run uTorrent in compatability mode for Windows Vista and run as "Administrator". Well, its been 24hrs now and I'm back to downloading 5 torrents at 2.0MB/s total and the disk cache isn't even filling half-way and is writing to disk properly again. I have no idea what started this problem or why this "fixed" the issue, but maybe this can solve your problems.

I will post again if the problems come back. Hope this helps!

I have been using version 2.2.1

Which is irrelevant to this thread.

Pardon, me....

I failed to mention that I had upgraded to the newest version and had exactly the same issue before I started the compatibility mode. The point is that the problem may be centered around Windows 7.

• 4 weeks later...
files tab seems to cauze lots of reads

Strange. How did you test that ?

was dloading some big torrents (50gb blu rays)

and some other stuff when one day added a bigger one 1tb all blurays

then proceeded to change prio in most files since in each torrent there is a big file 30+ gb and thousand small ones 1kb

after lots of changes system started usual shit

let it for awhile in case it stabilize

even tried alpha

even tried all option of cache

btw i have a horrible system with less than 1gb ram and really slow discs

then read somewhere to switch diagram to disc statistics

while i was watching that no overload

switched back to files overload started building slowly

switch back to stats no overload

then back to files

let it build for awhile until 90

stats and boom 0 again

I hardly think the developers can be held responsible for people downloading to drives that are connected via a "slow" interface,

If all your downloads go to an internal drive, whether it be SATA, IDE/PATA or SCSI, disk overloading doesn't happen. Tried it, know it doesn't happen with my cache settings, eSATA does a little, but you have to be firing LOTS of data at it AND be using it for other processes simultaneously.

Can't say I've tested this but I would guess that USB3 and "Firewire" drives suffer less with overloading than USB1.1, USB2.0 or networked drives do, and maybe, if you run a Gigabit capable network rather than a 100Mb network there maybe less "issues", but as with so many things that the uTorrent and BitTorrent developers carry the blame for, the solution is IN YOUR HANDS. If you spent a little more time looking at at how your system is setup and less time expecting somebody else to change it you would ALL do a lot better.

My downloads go to an internal SATA drive, seeding jobs are moved to a USB2.0 external drive. I don't HAVE any "disk overload" problems because the high dependency jobs are on a fast interface, it is really THAT simple.

I have been using version 2.2.1

Which is irrelevant to this thread.

Irrelevant?! I would give RxPhil a medal if I could. Running in compatibility mode instantly stopped my overloading issues. Couldn't even get 2 torrents above 1MB before it overloaded and slowed to 20KB/s. I have 4 torrents all running 4MB/s+. Only downside is that it's using a little more CPU usage now.

Thanks RxPhil, last day of the month and I was getting worried I couldn't use the rest of my quota :cool:.

I hardly think the developers can be held responsible for people downloading to drives that are connected via a "slow" interface,

If all your downloads go to an internal drive, whether it be SATA, IDE/PATA or SCSI, disk overloading doesn't happen. Tried it, know it doesn't happen with my cache settings, eSATA does a little, but you have to be firing LOTS of data at it AND be using it for other processes simultaneously.

Can't say I've tested this but I would guess that USB3 and "Firewire" drives suffer less with overloading than USB1.1, USB2.0 or networked drives do, and maybe, if you run a Gigabit capable network rather than a 100Mb network there maybe less "issues", but as with so many things that the uTorrent and BitTorrent developers carry the blame for, the solution is IN YOUR HANDS. If you spent a little more time looking at at how your system is setup and less time expecting somebody else to change it you would ALL do a lot better.

My downloads go to an internal SATA drive, seeding jobs are moved to a USB2.0 external drive. I don't HAVE any "disk overload" problems because the high dependency jobs are on a fast interface, it is really THAT simple.

hahaha you live in denial..

How???

You are the ones complaining about it, I don't have any such problems because I READ properly and UNDERSTAND how things work

your denial seems to be very strong... but i'll explain anyway.

it'll be easy:

If 2.2.1 works fine for everyone and versions > 2.2.1 does not. its a code problem.

thats it.

AND!

If I can make the client run perfectly happily with NO disc overloads why is it the developers or the software that are at fault?????

By the way, I also run BitTorrent 7.7 on the same machine writing and reading to the SAME DRIVES (different directories for downloads) and that doesn't overload the disc interfaces either.

AND!

If I can make the client run perfectly happily with NO disc overloads why is it the developers or the software that are at fault?????

By the way, I also run BitTorrent 7.7 on the same machine writing and reading to the SAME DRIVES (different directories for downloads) and that doesn't overload the disc interfaces either.

First of all its a free app, so no one should be mad about developers. no one is paying for it..

Second your compromise is buying hardware for software problem.. thats what software developers are trying to avoid, their software needs to use the hardware in the most effective way.

The problem might be developers avoid fixing this serious bug. but again no body is mad:/

Which it does quite happily.

If you are trying to push too much data into any interface because YOU HAVE THE SETTINGS WRONG for your hardware it is NOT a developers problem.

When creating a software application, you CANNOT know every combination of hardware that half-wits, sorry USERS will try and force it to do.

If you CHOOSE to run the client on hardware that is on the wrong side of capable, it is YOUR place to use setting that allows it to run efficiently.

Now I am not running with the latest quad core CPU or blindingly fast drives, it is a 3.2GHz Core Duo P4 with 2Gb RAM and USB 2 external drives and SATA 1 internal drives. Yet I can run TWO torrent clients on the same machine with no problems at all.

Am I still the one who is wrong?? You all seem to be incapable of making ONE client run successfully.

Which it does quite happily.

If you are trying to push too much data into any interface because YOU HAVE THE SETTINGS WRONG for your hardware it is NOT a developers problem.

When creating a software application, you CANNOT know every combination of hardware that half-wits, sorry USERS will try and force it to do.

If you CHOOSE to run the client on hardware that is on the wrong side of capable, it is YOUR place to use setting that allows it to run efficiently.

Now I am not running with the latest quad core CPU or blindingly fast drives, it is a 3.2GHz Core Duo P4 with 2Gb RAM and USB 2 external drives and SATA 1 internal drives. Yet I can run TWO torrent clients on the same machine with no problems at all.

Am I still the one who is wrong?? You all seem to be incapable of making ONE client run successfully.

What you are saying is utorrent version 2.2.1 change with great success the hardware configuration to match all the computers it is used on.

Great... do it in v3.3 and everyone will be happy.

What im saying is you're wrong. cause i didn't configure anything in 2.2.1 and it runs flawlessly not in my server alone but all.

dude your ridiculous.

Archived