brown seeding

royal11

I've read some of the sticky threads here and am not interested in getting into any complications or customizations, just trying to understand the default skin in utorrent 3.2.1.2 and finding explanations in the Help. I've looked high and low in Help and still can't find this explained anywhere. I think I know the answer but it bugs me that it is absent from Help. The question is:

Why does "Seeding" in the Status column turn from green to brown occasionally? Most of the time it's green but it turns brown after extended inactivity, blinking between green and brown.

If this is explained in the utorrent Help, please point me to it. Thanks.

P.S. I would upload a .png graphic here but don't see any way to do it.

P.P.S. I put it in my avatar. :)

The status does not turn "Brown" but "Red". Inorder to be green you need to have a good connection with one tracker. If you only have one tracker and you get an error - from timeout for example - the color will turn "Red". You can try the "Update Tracker", wait for the timeout for uTorrent to try again, or add other trackers that have that specific torrent.

Thanks for the info. Is that explanation available in the Help anywhere?

Also on my monitor and to my eyes, the color appears as definitely "brown", not "red". Perhaps others can respond how the color appears to them, red or brown(?), because I have posted it in my avatar.

...Also on my monitor and to my eyes, the color appears as definitely "brown", not "red". Perhaps others can respond how the color appears to them, red or brown(?), because I have posted it in my avatar.

Brick? In any case not simply brown: there's definitly red there (at any reasonable brightness of my monitor), so if not 'brick' I'd call it dark red.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=86384 --> the value "seederr_progress:ff3333" according to http://www.colourlovers.com/color/FF3333/Deep_Red this colour is "deep red" ;)

Perhaps the screenshot is made with 256 colours only, so changed a bit.

No, the screenshot and my avatar posted at left were made with a 1024x768 screen resolution on a 15" CRT monitor, using Irfanview for the screen capture and editing, at 24 BPP which is 32-bit color (highest).

That color is definitely not "red" nor "deep red" to my eyes on my monitor. Perhaps it could be called "reddish-brown" or "brownish-red".

It is *not* the same as shown in your link for FF3333, which is indeed "deep red"!

So I'm wondering if the colors that actually appear in utorrent 3.1.2 somehow got confused/swapped in the documentation/coding(?). I wouldn't be surprised because any discussion of colors used in different skins confuses me!?

I really do not see the point of arguing about the colors (even though I was the one that said "Red"). The point is the color change from (I hope) light green when seeding to another color is because of the status with all trackers currently defined for that torrent have some type of error - timeout, etc.. Now you can not worry about it and hope it changes to light green after uTorrent checks with the trackers later, or add other trackers who have the same torrent. While uTorrent is checking it will turn back to light green.

Now of course if you only have one tracker and it goes offline - to never return. Then nobody will be able to get the file you are seeding - assuming they did not get your ip from the tracker when it was last up.

• 1 month later...

I just had another situation where the seeding graphic turned from light green to brown (or red, whatever you want to call it)...

I'm seeding several torrents from two different sites simultaneously, one public (uses udp) the other private (uses http, not udp). Somehow one of the public torrents dropped its udp trackers and adopted the private http tracker. That caused a brownout of the seeding status (like my avatar at the left). I fixed it by changing the trackers back manually, but wonder how that could happen. Is that a bug in utorrent? Or what?

• 4 weeks later...

<-- works with colour as a communications medium

Monitors vary, but some are better calibrated than others. (Didn't George Orwell say that?)

I suspect most of us are seeing a brownish red, rather like clotting blood. Something in the 990000 area, very likely. In fact it's often called things like 'oxblood' etc.

So, from the position of 'if you can't offer a solution don't gripe,' I'd like to suggest that if you want ppl to readily (pun intended) identify it as 'red,' you might try something in the CC0000 area or even FF0000. The former is easier on the eyes, and the later is more often associated with urgency. There you have it. :)

Archived