Jump to content

udp trackers not working


Recommended Posts


Lately I faced the problem that won't allow udp trackers work correctly in uTorrent ver. Namely, the one I tested this with was udp://tracker.openbittorent.com:80/announce - it always shows "connection timed out" on any torrent. Some packet sniffing with wireshark showed that udp packets are rejected with port unreachable error.

However, if I create a clean install of utorrent, with pure white settings.dat - udp trackers work correctly from this installation. So ok, I thought, maybe my old 250kb settings.dat from uT 1.5 era has a right for some rest after all that time, made all necessary settings again (with old resume.dat though), and udp trackers worked fine for some time in that configuration (around 15 hours probably), and then the same problem shows itself.

So ok, I thought, maybe some of my settings make things go wrong, so I run another instance in parallel with /recover and new settings.dat, made all settings by hand again, aand... suddenly, it's working. (no luck on main one though) So it wasn't my settings, then what? Moreover, I copypasted my settings.dat from main instance to the new one and it worked too!. So, becoming more and more confused, I deleted all .dat files and their backups from main utorrent directory, except resume.dat and settings.dat. Problem still persists.

So maybe paths have some relation to it (stupid suggestion, alright). So I renamed the dir and started "main" copy again. Created new allowing rules for firewall by the way, since it recognised renamed uT folder as a new program. Aaaaaaaand... problem persists.

So, I give up. Just to be sure, before posting this, I backed up my settings.dat from main instance, creating blank one and ran it. udp trackers work. Moved old settings.dat back - udp trackers don't work.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it wasn't, I won't be writing there. These torrents can't receive peers from DHT as well, the only ways I found to enter the swarm - manual adding a live peer and PeX or registering in swarm with clear settings.dat/other client (same port) and PeX again.

I just can't believe believe it's openbittorent's problem when torrents stay forced for 30+ hours and can't connect to a single peer, and using other client or clearing settings connects them immediately. Actually, I would like to test on another tracker, I just don't know any reliable ones. Rejecting with "port unreachable" is pretty strange too, it doesn't look like timeout from not being able to process request... Maybe I'm writing this to the wrong place, though, and should go bother openbittorent guys a bit ^)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I'm running the same version in a vm as well as 3.13 26837 in another.

Seeding ~900+ torrents in both with no issues.


Likely not utorrent but something in your setup or OBT. Try using/adding some other udp trackers.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

hm, I have some torrents with udp://tracker.ccc.de:80 too, can't connect to it. DHT stopped working as well - well, it's technically working, but not getting any peers.


I thought that ISP may block udp communications for the reasons unknown, but OBT is working now, so that explanation seems unlikely.

To mods: if this doesn't seem to be utorrent bug to you as well, please move the topic to a more general forum - I'd still like to get any ideas regarding the nature of this problem

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 9 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am having pretty much the same problem and wanted to see if someone could help me out.

ALL UDP trackers (for any torrents) stopped working. I'm not sure when that happened, but it's definitely been awhile (couple of days maybe).

Now the weird thing, is I tried running utorrent with /recover command (after seeing this thread), and now all my UDP trackers work again!

What should I do to find out where the problem is coming from?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, UDP seems to be working again on the main instance as well.

I am using a new network card, so my IP changed to x.x.x.103 instead of x.x.x.100 which I had permanently bound to my old MAC address.

I corrected that, and now it works again on the normal instance. First thought was that UDP was blocked by router since my rules are set for x.x.x.100 only, but why was it working on the /recover instance on my x.x.x.103 IP then?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 8 months later...

i had this problem for weeks and couldnt fix it despite all the generous help and fixes from threads like these. long story short, i lowered the firewall settings on my ROUTER from Medium (the typical/recommended setting) to Low and voila, my torrents started downloading!

originally I wasnt able to log into DHT, no trackers were making successful connections (timed out etc), downloads stagnated at "connecting to peers" or "downloading at 0%" and the utorrent status icon in the lower right hand corner was an orange triangle, which said "no incoming connections."

Make sure your firewall on both your OS and your ROUTER, whichever it may be, is allowing incoming connections. for some reason the router was blocking the udp/tcp connections despite the fact that utorrent and transmission were using open ports (the ports they were using had been checked and weren't listed under the blocked p2p ports under the "medium" settings of my router).

my ISP is Comcast, I have an Argis TG862 router, windows 7, utorrent 3.3.2

hope this helped

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Create New...