uTorrent crashes windows 7

TheBeef43

Hi, I have been using uTorrnent for a long time, but the last time I tried to use it, my computer crashed. After doing some troubleshooting, Iv found that just opening the program with no downloads going will crash my OS. After the prgram has opened, even for a second, slowly windows will lag. The taskbar will freeze, CTRL/ALT/DEL wont work, and eventually it will all crash and I will be left with just my desktop background picture but nothing else. To fix it I have to hard reboot my computer. I have tried uninstalling it with Revo uninstaller, but when re-installed, the problem continued. Does anyone know what the problem could be and how to solve it?

Thanks In advanced!

As it happens I have had the blue screen of death a few times recently and today I ran diagnostics from the Windows Driver Kit that showed uTorrent 3-1-2 attempted to address the wrong part of my computer memory causing a fatal level 10 error. Reckon I'll either use an older version or switch to linux for a while.

As it happens I have had the blue screen of death a few times recently and today I ran diagnostics from the Windows Driver Kit that showed uTorrent 3-1-2 attempted to address the wrong part of my computer memory causing a fatal level 10 error. Reckon I'll either use an older version or switch to linux for a while.

No application bug should be able to cause harm to the OS and lead to a crash, they can't even reach the kernel's memory. On the other hand driver bugs can easily cause a blue screen. I'd be much more concerned about drivers that kill my system than ANY application bug. I wouldn’t be surprised at all that a buggy network driver, a buggy firewall driver or (less likely) a buggy display driver or disk driver were the root of evil in your case.

No application bug should be able to cause harm to the OS and lead to a crash, they can't even reach the kernel's memory. On the other hand driver bugs can easily cause a blue screen. I'd be much more concerned about drivers that kill my system than ANY application bug. I wouldn’t be surprised at all that a buggy network driver, a buggy firewall driver or (less likely) a buggy display driver or disk driver were the root of evil in your case.

That was my first thought but I have been using this machine on and off for three years with assorted operating systems and the only occasions I have had the blue screen of death was when I used v3 or + utorrent ( although I have started using zonealarm again during the timeframe in question ). Please see section of debug text reproduced below:

DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL (c5)

An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. This is caused by drivers that have corrupted the system pool. Run the driver verifier against any new (or suspect) drivers, and if that doesn't turn up the culprit, then use gflags to enable special pool.

Arguments:

Arg1: 00000004, memory referenced

Arg2: 00000002, IRQL

Arg3: 00000001, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation

Arg4: 82937067, address which referenced memory

Debugging Details:------------------

BUGCHECK_STR: 0xC5_2

CURRENT_IRQL: 2

FAULTING_IP:

nt!ExAllocatePoolWithTag+4b7

82937067 897004 mov dword ptr [eax+4],esi

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT

PROCESS_NAME: uTorrent3-1-2.

Are you guys on commission or what? Win debug has already identified the culprit.

It did not. If you are going to quote a tool, understand it. It's just reporting the name of the process which (probably indirectly) called the failing driver. It's not the process's fault: It can't fail this way. It's some driver's fault. And indeed Zone Alarm is a likely culprit.

Having this exact same problem, I don't have Zone Alarm. I've tried a couple of things, setting the affinity to one core and changing the disk cache preferences. Both worked the first time then stopped working after that. I would greatly appreciate hep on this, I've never had problems before with utorrent then after the recent update it just started doing this...

Archived