Listen error! Ports seem closed, red exclamation-mark

adamskijot

Hey, there, very sady camper over here.

Before I updated utorrent to the latest everything was going fantastic, children where laughing, birds where singing and I was dl'ing a million gigs a minute.

All of a sudden,... nothing is downloading! I click and I click and I click but... nothing!

I notice a small,red exclamation point in the corner. It reads; Listen Error. You should change the listen port. I randomized over and over, but yet nothing.

So I go to the setup-guide and run a test on my network. "Port is closed but you are still able to download."

I so wish I was. Not one kilobyte since 13 moons back. Well maybe a week to be honest, but absolutley nada.

Ive spent many hours now trying to open and forward ports in my router, a snazzy TP-Link TL-WR940N but to no avail.

I am going to re-install utorrent after writing this but I am on my last cents.

Come on, geniuses, you know you have the power and wisdom to help!

I'm using Windows7 64 bit and a router (AVM Fritz box 7270) and I had the same problem. There seems to be a bug in uTorrent 3.12 that makes (at least under under certain circumstances) not connectable. This means that you can only download from users that are connectable.

I reinstalled utorrent 3.0 64 bit 25570 (beta) and everything is fine now. I turned off the update notifications because they became disturbing.

Are you using a software firewall of any kind?

Also, were you relying on UPnP to forward your port?

Thanks, gents.

I do not have any anti-virus at all, theres no icon of any antivirus-program in the bottom-left clock-corner.

I suppose I am relying on UPnP to forward my ports, everythings worked great so far, why did they have to mess up this utorrent? =/

Using UPnP utorrent version 3.1.2 is working. But I don't want to activate UPnP on my router because of reasons of security.

Opening ports manually does not work in new versions, this means that you are not connectable without UPnP. Utorrent 3.0 64 bit beta seemed to work at first sight, but it has got a few other bugs, so I uninstalled utorrent 3.1.2 and 3.0 64 bit beta and reinstalled utorrent 2.2.1. Now there are no problems at all and there is no need to activate UPnP.

You can find older utorrent versions here:

<munched>

What? Opening a port manually has NOTHING to do with the version of the software. It all has to do with your router.

You do have to turn off UPnP when you do so, though, because the router will say the port isn't available when trying to map through UPnP.

3.1.2 works just fine.

What? Opening a port manually has NOTHING to do with the version of the software. It all has to do with your router.

Thank you.

But I meant opening a port on my router and entering the port number in utorrent (options/connection), so that I should be connectable. This worked fine in previous versions. UPnP is turned off.

Maybe because of special circumstances new utorrent does not work properly on my computer. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit, just the Standard Windows firewall and avast 7 free antivirus. Turning the windows firewall and avast off does not change anything.

But version 2.2.1 is working fine for me, so I can't complain anyway.

Archived