seeding question

mikron

uttorrent 3.01

uncommon question

sometimes when downloading a torrent there is too little seeding on my 30 mb connection with cox

also when finished there are times i wish to keep seeding for longer time and higher bandwidth

how in uttorrent is this done correctly or best way to approach this

thanks for ideas

I also have a seeding problem. I made my first torrent, based on instructions in YouTube and eHow.

The file is a 1.26 meg zip-file of .swf banners. I selected "create new torrent", I browsed to the zip-file and selected it. I pasted a bunch of public trackers into it off a recommended list, leaving in place the ones that appeared automatically in utorrent. I clicked off "start seeding" and then I saved-as the same file name as the zip, which then popped up as a long green bar with the word "torrent" appended to the name.

The torrent is in the same directory with the zip-file it's made from. The torrent is about 755k. Frankly, I don't understand what is in the torrent. Is the torrent just a different kind of compact zip-file? i.e., does the torrent contain everything in the original zip-file, as a copy but compressed? Or, is the torrent somehow linked to the zip-file it's made from, so that when "seeding" it will somehow transfer bits of that external file?

I dragged & dropped my home-made torrent onto the utorrent window, so it appeared as a "download". However, a great deal of time passed, and nothing happened. It says "downloading" but 0% is done and seeds always says "0", although "peers" moves from 1 to 10 so far. Also, it changes color, back and forth, blue to red, but nothing else ever happens.

I have other torrents which I downloaded successfully from torrent search engines, and which I have seeded successfully.

So, I don't understand why my little home-made torrent is not working. Help will be appreciated, thank you.

uttorrent 3.01

uncommon question

sometimes when downloading a torrent there is too little seeding on my 30 mb connection with cox

also when finished there are times i wish to keep seeding for longer time and higher bandwidth

how in uttorrent is this done correctly or best way to approach this

thanks for ideas

1) UPGRADE, old versions aren't supported.

2) If no-one wants it, doesn't matter how much bandwidth you have to upload, If you want it to have a max potential speed, then set the max upload bandwidth to a higher level (but not TOO high), for longer, set the 'seed until' level more.

I also have a seeding problem. I made my first torrent, based on instructions in YouTube and eHow.

The file is a 1.26 meg zip-file of .swf banners. I selected "create new torrent", I browsed to the zip-file and selected it. I pasted a bunch of public trackers into it off a recommended list, leaving in place the ones that appeared automatically in utorrent. I clicked off "start seeding" and then I saved-as the same file name as the zip, which then popped up as a long green bar with the word "torrent" appended to the name.

The torrent is in the same directory with the zip-file it's made from. The torrent is about 755k. Frankly, I don't understand what is in the torrent. Is the torrent just a different kind of compact zip-file? i.e., does the torrent contain everything in the original zip-file, as a copy but compressed? Or, is the torrent somehow linked to the zip-file it's made from, so that when "seeding" it will somehow transfer bits of that external file?

I dragged & dropped my home-made torrent onto the utorrent window, so it appeared as a "download". However, a great deal of time passed, and nothing happened. It says "downloading" but 0% is done and seeds always says "0", although "peers" moves from 1 to 10 so far. Also, it changes color, back and forth, blue to red, but nothing else ever happens.

I have other torrents which I downloaded successfully from torrent search engines, and which I have seeded successfully.

So, I don't understand why my little home-made torrent is not working. Help will be appreciated, thank you.

Torrent files are NOT compressed file archives. They're metadata files.

Since you created the torrent, it's already in your list, reading off that file, when you added it again, it should have asked if you wanted to add the trackers. That should have let it already be there. Otherwise there's a problem, in that there's no seeds. As you created the torrent file, you're the seed. You need to point it to the pre-existing file.

As for the status changes, and the peers = 10, I'm guessing thats because you'd added 10 (or more) trackers. You only need ONE, AT MOST. Trackers are like phone books. You use one to look up someone, then try and connect (call) them. If the first one works, you're still going to look at the second one, the third the tenth? no, but that's what you're doing.

Thats some basic points to start with.

I think I found part of the problem. My zip utility seems to have been corrupting the contents. I downloaded a new zip client, started over, and this time it made 1 seed right away, and eventually a second. However, the torrent search engine deleted my torrent without explanation. Perhaps I put way too many trackers in? I'd seen some torrents with a lot of trackers mentioned, I thought it was a good thing to do. I guess I'll try again with one tracker... Thanks.

Archived