Problem with ports

sigh!

I am wondering if the trouble might be if you forwarded some port that is used by some other program, then if that port is bound to it and you start uTorrent, it would be the same as if you didn't forward

not sure if that could happen since there is buton to generate random port for you (unless you go with the default) and likely certain ports are rulled out beforehand, still if you run ICQ or something that jumps on ports wild, it might happen

you might try to forward something else than port 11122

in my case I forwarded single port on my hardware gateway/firewall (I take it one port is enough for single instance of uTorrent beind that firewall) and also forwarded that port on ZoneAlarmPro that I run on the LAN PC, I still get this message in the Logger tab something about UPNP something or other failing to bind of what to port (I put that Logger on verbose mode and lost the entry completely). But I get no error when testing portforwarding so that is something else not related to your problem.

sory if I seem to pigyback on his thread

vanDivX

Indeed, I answered your question in your other thread =P

And yeah, if a port is being used by another application and µTorrent tries to access it, there will be a listening error, and µTorrent would basically act as if the port weren't open.

Indeed, I answered your question in your other thread =P

And yeah, if a port is being used by another application and µTorrent tries to access it, there will be a listening error, and µTorrent would basically act as if the port weren't open.

LOL I will go and look :)

btw I deduce from that that it might be good idea to forward several ports anyway, maybe they don't have to be contiguous but scattered all over the port range...

I remember from past that some messengering programs use ports very freely and lots of them

vanDivX

Archived