magnet link won`t start in utorrent.

Linda2012

BOOYAH!!! SUCCESS!!! 2-3hrs of mucking around, I now am successfully 12% of the way through a magnet file in my uTorrent.. :cool: Open a chrome browser, install an app from Chromestore (magentme or magnet2torrent etc) it basically shortens/converts the magnet file to a torrent file.. took 2min to install, <1min to get magnet into uTorrent = happy camper!!!

muahahaha :lol: technology doth not thwart me!!! .. well, not today anyway :)

In the chrome web store there is an extension called "magnet2torrent converter for Pirate Bay 0.3".

Install that extension and when you click on the magnet link, it is turned into a .torrent file (usually a long line of numbers).

When you add the torrent file to utorrent to download, it opens up as the proper name of the torrent that you clicked on.

Using uTorrent, I cannot get any magnet links to work. They load up, but the trackers time out, or I get an Invalid Tracker error message.

BUT, using my BitComet, these same torrents load up and download at an amazing speed. I mean, they haul a$$.

I dont know why my uTorrent will not work with magnet links or why the trackers wont load, but I do know that my BitComet works fine with magnet links after installing the extension I mentioned above.

I am using Windows Vista, uTorrent 1.8.5 (dont need to upgrade the newer versions), and Google Chrome.

I have not tried to open any magnet links from my FF or IE browser.

uTorrent 1.8.5 (dont need to upgrade the newer versions)

You do if you want help.

Im sorry DreadWingKnight..., I edited my post before I read your reply :(

But, even if I upgrade my uTorrent, wont I have the same problems if my uTorrent will not associate itself with magnet links?

(by the way, my BiComet is an older version as well. I always seem to have issues when I upgrade any of my bitclients. If they work, I tend to leave them alone :) )

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar problem but maybe a little further along. album selected on TPB, appeared in utorrent, it would only seed not download, then i thought this probably because it had registered on a previous attempt. After searching through my computer files i found the album next to a utorrent icon & when i clicked on it, it opened the 'save as' box again that comes up just before auto opening utorrent, but this time there was a track listing so i ok'd it again hoping for play or progress, then it started downloading! However, thats as far as it goes, i cannot find a way of opening or playing the download! I cannot find the download in my libraries or downloads or anything like that but the file address includes 'AppData' & 'roaming'. now i'm really confused?! Any ideas please? Thank you

ciaobaby

Are those last two posts directed at me? I came across this thread as I'm having issues with utorrent & magnet links. Which as far as I can see is the subject of this thread? Isn't that incorrect? & why so spiteful?! If utorrent think its ok for people to be treated & spoken to like that, I'll use another client. Shameful way to treat people. If those comments were directed at me I will be reporting you.

If those comments were directed at me I will be reporting you.

YEP they certainly were.

There are AT LEAST four threads explaining what to do with magnets and how to make them load, maybe you should have dome more looking first.

If utorrent think its ok for people to be treated & spoken to like that
No idea what uTorrent's policy is on straight talking to people is, as I am merely a lowly forum member who happens to know a bit about uTorrent, so I freely give back some time providing answers to people who, all too often seem incapable of helping themselves.

Also just for information's sake, I am immune to insults in forum posts as I do not know the person at the other side of the post and as such, they are of zero importance to my life.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=691400#p691400

probably your browser is the problem. goofgle chrome and some other browsers are blocking magnet links due to "the war on piracy" had the same problem. have an old internet still on my laptop gathering dust so i brought it out with pre chrome google and voila magnet links are flying high once again. . torch browser also works. don't know about firefox. when i am done getting links i just switch back to chrome . no problem. it is not a problem with pirate bay or utorrent. . try another browser.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
If those comments were directed at me I will be reporting you.

YEP they certainly were.

There are AT LEAST four threads explaining what to do with magnets and how to make them load, maybe you should have dome more looking first.

If utorrent think its ok for people to be treated & spoken to like that
No idea what uTorrent's policy is on straight talking to people is, as I am merely a lowly forum member who happens to know a bit about uTorrent, so I freely give back some time providing answers to people who, all too often seem incapable of helping themselves.

Also just for information's sake, I am immune to insults in forum posts as I do not know the person at the other side of the post and as such, they are of zero importance to my life.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=691400#p691400

Dude, you are so full of yourself, it's embarassing.

Even your sig is self centered and egotistical.

I am extremely curious to know what YOU did to gather all of this knowledge you claim to have.

You were a noob once, were you not? Did you not go to the forum, find the proper forum topic, and ask questions? Like the rest of us?

Perhaps you were magically entrusted with knowledge of all things magnet and torrent, and so you are now mandated to tell the rest of us to "do more looking", while insulting us for having to look, and ask, in the first place.

Instead of busting some poor noob's chops and then blowing him off, while bragging that you "freely give back some time providing answers to people who, all too often seem incapable of helping themselves", give a guy a break and practice what you preach.

(I swear I have never seen one person humilate himself in a single sentence so badly as I have here in this forum reading that quote from you. absolutely remarkable, lmao)

Ciao, baby!

tinksmummy... don't let this dimwit keep you from asking questions in the forums. Not all of us are like this knucklehead. You will get your answers eventually.

You were a noob once, were you not?
Obviously every one has to be at some point, for me it started at ver1.6 of uTorrent on Windows 2000, still have an archive of every client version I have run or tested
Did you not go to the forum, find the proper forum topic, and ask questions? Like the rest of us?
Nope.

You were a noob once' date=' were you not? [/quote']Obviously every one has to be at some point, for me it started at ver1.6 of uTorrent on Windows 2000, still have an archive of every client version I have run or tested
Did you not go to the forum, find the proper forum topic, and ask questions? Like the rest of us?
Nope.

So what your saying is that you do not visit the forums to learn, only to teach?

Very noble of you, my friend ;)

So what your saying is that you do not visit the forums to learn, only to teach?

Very noble of you, my friend ;)

Not necessarily, forums are (or should be) an exchange of knowlege, ASKING questions at a forum is not a requirement of learning from it, but reading, researching and comprehending is, and for one to continue learning, every answer should lead to another question. Children know that almost instinctively, which is the reason they say "Why"? quite a lot.

So what your saying is that you do not visit the forums to learn' date=' only to teach?

Very noble of you, my friend ;)[/quote']

Not necessarily, forums are (or should be) an exchange of knowlege, ASKING questions at a forum is not a requirement of learning from it, but reading, researching and comprehending is, and for one to continue learning, every answer should lead to another question. Children know that almost instinctively, which is the reason they say "Why"? quite a lot.

I agree.

forum [ˈfɔːrəm]

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest

2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine

3. a public meeting place for open discussion

tinksmummy, in my opinion, merely used this place for open discussion to enquire about his/her issues related to magnet links. Not entirely inappropriate, whether or not he/she followed other similar threads or questioned google for some answers.

I am saying that I think you were a little rough on the guy/girl, and that your harsh replies came off as lofty and arrogant, and that you could have pointed him in the right direction instead of scolding him.

I believe I have gone off topic so I will stop there.

I, too, have an issue with getting magnet links to open with the bitclient of my choice.

I have somehow defaulted google chrome to execute all torrents thru uTorrent and do not know how to change that. (As you can see above, I came here a while back looking for help).

I wont burden this forum thread with this problem of mine any longer. I came here to take a look, see if there was anything new that could help me. It would appear that this might be the wrong place to get my answers.

Other than that, it's all good :)

Peace!

I, too, have an issue with getting magnet links to open with the bitclient of my choice.

I have somehow defaulted google chrome to execute all torrents thru uTorrent and do not know how to change that. (As you can see above, I came here a while back looking for help).

It would appear that this might be the wrong place to get my answers.

Only if you don't actually know HOW to research

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=738946#p738946

ALSO this forum is actually for uTorrent specific problems NOT problems with 'broken' file association in browsers.

Archived