µTorrent 3.1.3 stable (27327)

Firon

I have "Append .!ut to incomplete files" option OFF but Process Monitor shows that uTorrent constantly tries to read them. I'm not sure but I suspect that my external USB HDD would work faster if uTorrent didn't do that. Is there a way to ask uTorrent not to try to read .!ut files? If not, can you please add an option for this (it may be advanced option)? Thanks!

Example of trace (note that same files are tried again and again), build 27220:

22:48:55.2287311 uTorrent.exe 3728 CreateFile \\192.168.1.1\my passport\Movies\SomeMovie\BDMV\CLIPINF\00005.clpi.!ut NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Read Attributes, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a

<many other .!ut files files are tried here>

22:49:51.4306415 uTorrent.exe 3728 CreateFile \\192.168.1.1\my passport\Movies\SomeMovie\BDMV\CLIPINF\00005.clpi.!ut NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Read Attributes, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a

22:52:33.9963112 uTorrent.exe 3728 CreateFile \\192.168.1.1\my passport\Movies\SomeMovie\BDMV\CLIPINF\00005.clpi.!ut NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Read Attributes, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a

22:55:17.2720877 uTorrent.exe 3728 CreateFile \\192.168.1.1\my passport\Movies\SomeMovie\BDMV\CLIPINF\00005.clpi.!ut NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Read Attributes, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a

If you have a magnet link that hangs uT under any circumstance, uT might already have saved a torrent from the magnet (in its torrent folder) that can be used instead of the magnet. The magnet hang seems to generally occur after a torrent file has been generated.

In my case i had six torrent files for it in uT's torrent dir with the file names file.torrent and file.#.torrent with # being 1-5. Meaning that uT had generated the torrent and then hanged, six times.

In case uT hasn't generated a torrent, magnet2torrent.me seems to be a legitimate site to generate a torrent from a magnet.

It's still just normal upx (with --brute --lzma).

Since you insisted, I actually wasted some time on this... :|

(Using UPX 3.08w.)

Some poking around resulted in this:

utorrent file, as is; upx returns this error:

"upx: utorrent.exe: NotPackedException: not packed by UPX"

After removing Section '.bunndle' from the exe file; upx returns this error:

"upx: utorrent.exe: CantUnpackException: file is possibly modified/hacked/protected; take care!"

What is section '.bunndle', you ask ?

An upx compressed DLL file that 'offer' by default to install a toolbar, a browser plugin that slows down surfing, computer and most likely violates user privacy by monitoring user activity aka bloatware (possibly spyware).

Many exe compressors are not design to handle file modifications after exe have been compressed. That utorrent works at all is pure luck.

The standalone upx.exe file, used to unpack, verifies the file integrity before unpacking (using checksum) while the internal upx decompressor routine does not. (I haven't check upx's code, just a guess)

In other words, security vulnerability, a possibility of inserting ie a virus without upx decompressor noticing. Upx really should fix that ie by adding an option to add file integrity check.

No, a microsoft certificate isn't security enough. It's crap. A PR stunt by microsoft to get their greedy fingers on more money for nearly nothing and getting more evil control like apple.

but maybe the decompressor freaks out on the additional resources at the end.

You knew this and still proceeded ?!

Did you even check the upx code so it supported this ?

:rolleyes: If you really insist to continue with bloatware spreading, causing your users pain, than add that dll file to exe file before compressing the exe file. That is the correct way of doing it.

Not to sound cranky or rude but i have done your work for you. I expect at least a small 'thank you' for my wasted time.

Anti-virus apps already know how to unpack the executable, so you aren't really getting anything by doing that, and upx has no known bugs or instability problems.

Unfortunately, anything that changes the exe after it have been compiled can obscure the virus scan.

Both exe compressors and protectors are infamous of creating bugs.

I for one thinks; stability and data integrity wins over exe file size.

Uh, you don't deserve a thank you. you didn't do anything helpful.

we know it works fine with the actual upx stub that runs at runtime. we've been doing it for 2 months now or so.

whether or not it decompresses with the upx tool is unimportant.

The EXE is signed after the extra sections are added + compressed, and the signature is only valid if the file hasn't been tampered with.

BTW:

What compression is used on the exe file ? A modified upx ?

They used same UPX but they stripped UPX header at offset 3E0h, that conatins compression method and checksums, so UPX can't unpack it anymore. You may compare "old" and "new" utorrent.exe at offset 3E0h-400h to see the difference.

"New" utorrent.exe can be unpacked still with 3d-party external unpacker that traces stub till program entry point (something like procdump), or header info can be recovered manually from stub's code to unpack it with UPX natively.

Our problem:
I don't know. When windows start icon doest appear in systray. Restart uTorrent solve the problem. All like in 2.2. 2.0.4 and 2.2.1 works correctly.

More info about it:

Well' date=' I'm on Windows XP SP3 32-bit. I have all options under System Tray Enabled, but "Show Balloon Notifications". And also have enabled "Start uTorrent when Windows Starts" and "Start Minimized".

For the time being I have made a little batch file to delay uTorrent when Windows starts, for the moment it has worked; but is not the ideal solution.

Something like:

ping -n 40 localhost > nul

start "uTorrent" "<Directory>\uTorrent.exe" /MINIMIZED

Another description for the problem could be that it's like it is on Boss Mode, but I don't even use that option -_-.

Here is my settings.dat: [url']http://www.anonstorage.net/PStorage/602.settings.dat

I re-uploaded my settings.dat: http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/XT757JVZ/settings.dat_links so it can be checked to see if there is a problem. I tried it again with 3.1.3 build 27220 btw.

Still happening with latest build.

would you please add a feature

ability to real time search your downloaded torrents.

i want to search and find my torrents by typing them out

rather than by looking for the name or sorting thru columns

thanks,

i think this feature would dramatically improve the usability of the software

as well as help the community

peace

i want to search and find my torrents by typing them out
You can do this. Just start typing initial letters of torrent name when focus is in the list. It would be nice to have possibility of partial match: when non-matching torrents are hidden from the list and escape would reset the filter (show all torrents again).

BTW:

What compression is used on the exe file ? A modified upx ?

They used same UPX but they stripped UPX header at offset 3E0h' date=' that conatins compression method and checksums, so UPX can't unpack it anymore. You may compare "old" and "new" utorrent.exe at offset 3E0h-400h to see the difference.

"New" utorrent.exe can be unpacked still with 3d-party external unpacker that traces stub till program entry point (something like procdump), or header info can be recovered manually from stub's code to unpack it with UPX natively.[/quote']

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. I didn't have the tools available to do such a comparison. Formatted my machine not so long ago.

I suspected they did it in purpose. Especially with the defensive response from Firon.

Waiting for the possible news to drop about utorrent I.E. using illegal code, doing privacy violations, etc..

Yes I'm very suspicious and paranoid, rightfully so. I've seen many programs go bad and burn users over the years. :(

Fame, greed and ego can do horrible things to software that was once honest and trustworthy.

Firon: Pay notice i didn't accuse utorrent of any thing, i'm merely stating my experience of other software and the fear i have of utorrent going down the same path due to warning signs i've seen.

EXE files can be resigned to hide tampering.

It have even been successfully applied and used and talked about in the news.

Here's a news article example from a quick google search:

"The spy malware Flame used bogus Microsoft certificates to infect new computers, a prominent cybersecurity expert says"

http://www.rt.com/news/flame-virus-windows-updates-346/

Off topic, certificates rant:

Microsoft certificates program are just a scam. Gets microsoft to "earn" more money, control the windows environment, make customers feel a false sense of security and by doing so trust too quickly when a program is signed. Also making it very difficult for hobby developers and open source software alike.

And microsoft are supposed to be for open source and hobbyists. Using pr stunts like 'going native'.

It still baffles me how many are fooled by that bullshit.

Could you guys perhaps assign someone (preferably is the person who uploads the builds) to be the one to upload the change log? The amount of times the change log hasn't been there with people having to request it has gotten beyond what's reasonable IMO.

Archived