µTorrent 3.2 stable (27568)

Firon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you could fix that then I'll definitely give it a go.

Links fixed. To be honest' date=' I don't think this will help if a new (empty) settings file doesn't.[/quote']

I agree. Thus my belief that this is a bug given all the other data I've presented :)

Is this true? :o The overload problem is no longer available! :D

EDIT: NO! Just when I got saying about this joy became "Disk overloaded" for the first time a few days!

You're welcome to type msinfo32 in the start menu then press Enter. File | Save on the opened screen. Right click the saved file in Windows Explorer and choose Send To>>>Compressed (Zipped) Folder.

Upload the zip the Rapidshare or similar then paste a link here to it.

Is this true? :o The overload problem is no longer available! :D

EDIT: NO! Just when I got saying about this joy became "Disk overloaded" for the first time a few days!

You're welcome to type msinfo32 in the start menu then press Enter. File | Save on the opened screen. Right click the saved file in Windows Explorer and choose Send To>>>Compressed (Zipped) Folder.

Upload the zip the Rapidshare or similar then paste a link here to it.

Sorry it contains so sensitive information... :D

My Send To is also gone, because I took it off.

None of this would be of any use at all as to why you asked?

None of this would be of any use at all as to why you asked?

The rest is understandable but this is purely wrong. I have never in my entire life seen one machine of 10s of thousands that were what I would determine to be in perfect software condition. I already know your issue(s) but won't say without seeing.

I'm GMan on eightforums.com. Feel free to check the excellent debugging I do on there at your leisure.

You're also welcome to join up and send me a link to the file privately, even though you likely have 7 and the site is for 8.

I have ancient P4 system and download massive torrents. Never experienced disk overload with any version of uTorrent, ever...always running latest beta. Only problem I ever had was the recent settings.dat problem,

TorrentG: there are also other factors that may contribute and can be causing this for people, not only system configuration. Very high connection speeds, not suitable default configuration in uT together with poor cache & I/O design in uTorrent are among them. You might be just lucky ...

I'm assuming this is the right place to post this. I updated to a 3.2 beta version a while ago, the 27138 version and all was well, since then there have been numerous updates of the 3.2 beta that I have updated to, the problem is I don't download loads of stuff so have not necessarily used them all. I updated to the latest version 27272 yesterday and clicked on the magnet link of a file to download it, that's where the problem started. The tab that seems to go around an around before the files came up just kept going around and around, then it went to a solid state. Also the file part at the bottom said the file was zero size and the date for the file was something like the year 2001. Then I clicked on advanced and the whole program went grey except for one of the tabs, but when I moved the mouse around the grey page various things started to show. At one point I had something come up that said send the crash dump file, unfortunately the button to send was greyed out with much of the rest of the program. My desktop frooze so much in the end that I had to power off with the console as my start button disappeared. I have now installed the 3.2 beta 27138 version and all is well again. I will try and go through all the beta versions one at a time to see if I can find out which one caused this issue and post back when I get time. I'm using windows xp home edition with comodo firewall and avast free on a 32 bit system.

Installed this beta as the "stable" release stops responding every 10 minutes, all was well until i added some more magnet links to it. it now sits there chewing up 30-40% of my CPU peaking to 100% every few seconds making the pc unusable (at least not without lots of shouting and mice hitting walls!).

Nothing to do with my PC as it runs fine without utorrent open and my specs are above and beyond what they should be to run this application - core 2 duo e8400 3ghz, 4gb of ram, ATI 4870, windows 7 64bit.

I'm sure this will get fixed as I've never been let down by utorrent until now! Any logs I can post etc to help just let me know.

Installed this beta as the "stable" release stops responding every 10 minutes, all was well until i added some more magnet links to it. it now sits there chewing up 30-40% of my CPU peaking to 100% every few seconds making the pc unusable (at least not without lots of shouting and mice hitting walls!).

Nothing to do with my PC as it runs fine without utorrent open and my specs are above and beyond what they should be to run this application - core 2 duo e8400 3ghz, 4gb of ram, ATI 4870, windows 7 64bit.

I'm sure this will get fixed as I've never been let down by utorrent until now! Any logs I can post etc to help just let me know.

Clear all your settings.

New 3.2 up with a slew of fixes.

Also, here's a test build of 3.2

http://download.utorrent.com/beta/utorrent-3.2-beta-beta-27297-bunndle.exe

This is similar to today's 3.2, but has the random access file flag disabled and turns on Windows buffering.

In theory, this should improve disk performance and also have windows not go out of control in memory usage. The random access flag causes Windows to hold cached memory for that file for almost forever. By not using it, it will throw pages away instead of evicting everything else out of memory.

Please try it and download large files in particular. Keep watch on the overall system memory usage in Task Manager while using it.

Are people still seeing the issue with partfile writing forever at the end of the torrent (or flushing to disk endlessly)?

If so, can anyone here reproduce that consistently? If you can, we need repro steps. The torrent itself is helpful, but we need to know: piece size, # of pieces, the size of the files you skipped, the size of the files near it that aren't skipped, how much disk space is left

I wouldn't wanted to change the 27180 version for the later releases for, as well as stable 3.1, they take my CPU usage to 50% once in a while. That was (is) annoying. 27180 doesn't do that, alpha 3.3 neither (I don't use the current versions since a while). And every new release after 27180 (I probed them all) had this problem. Actually, the current version 27295 have it. But I was really glad to see that the release 27297 doesn't have it. Finally I could update beta Utorrent to the latest version without being forced to downgrade again because the malfunctioning. You should see what makes the CPU to work fine in 27297 against 27295. Is a problem of my computer? So, why every time I uninstall the annoying versions and come back to 27180 everything goes fine, and I can install and uninstall changing through every version and the only ones that work fine are the mentioned, and some previous 3.2 (27180) versions that worked fine too. :/

Got an issue with the queuing.

I did some partial downloads, and then when it went to seeding I restarted the rest of the files. It never re-assigned it a new queue slot.http://db.tt/s2QCnTLV

Vista 64, build 27295

Thanks - that looks similar to another bug we are investigating. I'll add your report to that bug.

I wouldn't wanted to change the 27180 version for the later releases for, as well as stable 3.1, they take my CPU usage to 50% once in a while. That was (is) annoying. 27180 doesn't do that, alpha 3.3 neither (I don't use the current versions since a while). And every new release after 27180 (I probed them all) had this problem. Actually, the current version 27295 have it. But I was really glad to see that the release 27297 doesn't have it. Finally I could update beta Utorrent to the latest version without being forced to downgrade again because the malfunctioning. You should see what makes the CPU to work fine in 27297 against 27295. Is a problem of my computer? So, why every time I uninstall the annoying versions and come back to 27180 everything goes fine, and I can install and uninstall changing through every version and the only ones that work fine are the mentioned, and some previous 3.2 (27180) versions that worked fine too. :/

This is very likely because the 3.3 versions and the 27297 build have very different disk i/o code than other utorrent versions.

The older disk i/o code is very complex, and it interacts with the utorrent cache, which is also very complex, so it is possible that code had some, shall we say undesirable effects.

Aside from that, the windows disk subsystem has a feature, FILE_FLAG_RANDOM_ACCESS that interacts badly with opening files in unbuffered mode. Hilariously, we started opening files in unbuffered mode, way back in 1.8, to work around reports of sluggish systems.

In the future, we will probably stop using this flag entirely.

From MSDN, via Arvid, via one of our users:

"The FILE_FLAG_RANDOM_ACCESS flag is a hint to the Cache Manager that

the file will be opened for random I/O. Random I/O means there is no

predictable pattern to the I/O that will take place. This flag

disables intelligent read-aheads and prevents automatic unmapping of

views after pages are read to minimize mapping/unmapping when the

process revisits that part of the file. This keeps previously read

views in the Cache Manager working set. However, if the cumulative

size of the accessed files exceeds physical memory, keeping so many

views in the Cache Manager working set may be detrimental to overall

operating system performance because it can consume a large amount of

physical RAM."

Hi Everyone,

We would like to begin the stabilization / Release candidate process for 3.2 soon. We believe that at this point, 3.2 has many advantages over 3.1.3, and is becoming quite stable.

I'm currently aware of a few more issues we have to fix before releasing a 3.2 - Rafi and Firon are keeping an eye out for issues. Please let us know if you have a good reproduction for an issue that has not already been addressed.

Thanks for using 3.2

I'm glad to here you are going to announce a stable version of the 3.2. This should perhaps have been done some time ago as all 3.2 versions appear far more stable than the 3.1.3 version. As for the latest version, 27295, I used the previous version and the magnet link files appeared very quickly in the advanced mode box that allows you to select files, but in this version they took ages, so much so that I thought they weren't going to load at all. Just wondered if anyone else had this issue.

Archived