µTorrent 3.2 stable (27568)

Firon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Microsoft stopped support for it 2 years ago, why shouldn't µTorrent?

Because uTorrent is (should be) intended to work on a computer 24 Hour, 365 days with no stop.

Because there are tons of old PCs (Pentium 133 with 40MB RAM is my case) working like a charm with a W2000 with less than 12 Watts of consumtion, which almost do not heat the environment of rooms...

Old versions leave you vulnerable. My choice would be to toss a lightweight Linux distro on older equipment, though 133MHz could be a bit tough. Now I wanna buy a 133MHz laptop from work just to try it XD

I wonder if swapping the XP dll with the 2000 DLL is possible, my understanding is 2000 and XP are rather close. Hm..

Edit: Wonder if my understanding is wrong, or if XP just comes with a lot of something, 'cause w2k is sooooooo fast to install.

The WebUI doesn't show multiple labels. A torrent that has two plus labels will only show as being the last applied label. Setting the first label again in the WebUI shows that the file is in the second label list (showing (1)) but when clicked upon to view the files in the label the main window shows no files inside.

If I log into uTorrent remote the second label isn't even there, but is on the actual machine in the client.

In summary, uTorrent remote has no support for multiple labels and the WebUI has only partial support.

You're lucky they still support XP.

As far as I know XP is also not supported.

I wonder: were is this list of supported OSes ?... Is Win8 there ?

Here is the list of supported OSes for current utorrent versions:

- Win98: Not supported

- WinME: NOT supported

- Win2k: not supported

- WinXP: Supported. If you find an issue here, we'll fix it

- Vista, 7: Supported

- Win 8: Not supported yet. We plan to support this soon.

Yeah, it seems to wait a very long time, gets the details, and eventually, when you OK it - does not give a file name at all... :(

I'd define that as "broken"... :P

[2012-06-23 10:21:36]  Error opening "F:\Downloads\BitTorrent": 

[2012-06-23 10:21:36] Error: BitTorrent - Access is denied.

http://thumbnails76.imagebam.com/19786/d3b602197855604.jpg

http://thumbnails72.imagebam.com/19788/1db4cd197877725.jpg

Zarggg, Rafi are you sure? Using the directory as the filename is definitely a bug, but I think that loading metadata in the Add Torrent dialog works just as it did before. Try with a bigger swarm. Do you have the DHT enabled? Do you have any peers on the torrent while it is being added? (Check the "hidden" label on the left-hand side).

Also noticed that "Apply rate limit to uTP connections" does not appear to work (in RC5).

What are the symptoms you're seeing? It works for me. Make sure your peers are not on your local network, because they won't be rate limited by default.

It would seem to me the easiest and simplest method would be the "Save In" to be a folder selection - and thats it.

In Single file torrents - the "Name" field is the name of the (to be) stored file and the "Name" displayed in utorrent.

In Multi-file torrents - the "Name" field is the name of the Sub-Directory/Folder where the files in the torrent are stored and ALSO the "Name" displayed in utorrent. (The user would select the parent directory in the "Save In" field.)

Yeah' date=' the current Add Torrent dialog is very confusing and inconvenient (meant to report long ago..)

I loved it most when there was just a single input field for "location".

- It was simple and straightforward

With the new dialog one has to check the contents of the torrent first to decide where the final folder name goes (either to "Save In" for single-file torrents or to "Name" for multi-file torrents). And it gets utterly confusing when a torrent contains a folder with a single file inside.

And with, say, TV shows releases it's either just an .mp4 file or a bunch of other crap I usually deselect ("downloaded from..", etc.) - so one has to be always careful to get location right.

- There was convenient history to choose from

Say I download a TV show once a week. With a single input field it was easy to just pick the output path from history and you are done. But with the new "Name" field history does not work anymore.

So please re-consider bringing these two back together again.

I've also got a complaint regarding magnet links support.

Whenever the "Torrent Contents" is resolved in Add Torrent dialog I've got the corresponding files created in my Downloads folder. I don't know if that is intended that way. But it is very inconvenient to clean all the "leftovers" in Downloads after uTorrent.

Here are some more details.

I have never touched "Directories" in Preferences (thus all the fields are empty).

The default location (the one that appears in "Save In") is like D:\Video\...

But whenever I click a magnet link (say, this one for Ubuntu - magnet:?xt=urn:btih:8ac3731ad4b039c05393b5404afa6e7397810b41) and wait for the "Torrent Contents" to be resolved the files (ubuntu-11.10-desktop-i386.iso) are created in C:\Users\...\Downloads

Could you please fix uTorrent to omit creating those files? Or if they are needed somehow for fetching the list of files uTorrent could at least delete them automatically after the torrent is added with a _different_ download location.[/quote']

Thank you for the very descriptive problem report. You can be sure to see some of these improvements in 3.2.1

@AdamK: You're right. It does load the metadata on its own. It did, however, take three minutes to do so, which is likely why I jumped the gun and started going through the location dialogs. By the time I finished that, my prior tests had already downloaded it on their own. Correlation, not causation.

@AdamK: You're right. It does load the metadata on its own. It did, however, take three minutes to do so, which is likely why I jumped the gun and started going through the location dialogs. By the time I finished that, my prior tests had already downloaded it on their own. Correlation, not causation.

Yeah, testing that type of problem is tricky.

Okay - I finally got the problem where ut would try to use the directory name as the file name.

Here were the conditions:

- Single file torrent

- Not a magnet link

- Choose a directory that does not yet exist.

Then, utorrent would attempt to use the directory you chose as the filename.

Cause: The old code had special cases that treated the path differently based on a number of factors. We are moving toward treaing the directory and filenames separately, but as you know there are, sadly a lot of cases (single file, multifile, "multifile" with one file, etc)

Also noticed that "Apply rate limit to uTP connections" does not appear to work (in RC5).

What are the symptoms you're seeing? It works for me. Make sure your peers are not on your local network' date=' because they won't be rate limited by default.[/quote']

@arvid - yes, I am positive, they are separate - if I set an upload limit on a torrent at say 10kB/s, I have seen it go steady at over 250kB/s, on more than one instance.

Look at #7 here: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=667648#p667648

There is a definite issue with upload limiter, and my observation was that it might be triggered when the upload *overhead * caused by the current download exceeds this limit. Not sure if it relates just to uTP or not.

Archived