µTorrent 3.2 stable (27568)

Firon

DWK, a lot of car accidents stem from drivers stupidity. That's why car manufacturers install air-bags, seat belts, ABS's etc. And it's not always user stupidity because in many cases, the trackers are already in the torrents. Designers have to design stable products for everyone (including drivers, pedestrians, users, trackers) and I don't see a reason to blame the users

Yes, Zarggg, agreed (and I have been guilty of it, as I'm sure many of us have), but mcaspi put it best -

"DWK, a lot of car accidents stem from drivers stupidity. That's why car manufacturers install air-bags, seat belts, ABS's etc. And it's not always user stupidity because in many cases, the trackers are already in the torrents. Designers have to design stable products for everyone (including drivers, pedestrians, users, trackers) and I don't see a reason to blame the users"

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

many users keep adding HTTP addresses
Right' date=' like an exclude/black list (ipfilter-like)... But, I guess processing power is a consideration too.[/quote']
That's why car manufacturers install air-bags.

The simple truth is' date=' that those public trackers' admins, that now want to operate with UDP only, just want to save themselves the hassle of filtering the legacy TCP traffic out (by older torrents/users), and do it in the clients...

That looks like a working air-bag, that will eliminate most TCP traffic to those trackers:

In the short term, we could add a filter in uTorrent that turns certain hostname into udp:// if they aren't already. I take it this is for openbittorrent and publicbt. Do you know of any other trackers that suffer from this problem?

or later on:

actually, I like probing for UDP tracker supports a lot better than the DNS idea. It seems simpler, more secure and more platform independent support.

A lot of the problem stems from user stupidity

DWK' date=' a lot of car accidents stem from drivers stupidity. That's why car manufacturers install air-bags, seat belts, ABS's etc. And it's not always user stupidity because in many cases, the trackers are already in the torrents. Designers have to design stable products for everyone (including drivers, pedestrians, users, trackers) and I don't see a reason to blame the users.[/quote']

Safety mechs don't make users less stupid, just less prone to dicking up the works.

The simple truth is, that those public trackers' admins, that now want to operate with UDP only, just want to save themselves the hassle of filtering the legacy TCP traffic out (by older torrents/users), and do it in the clients...

Filtering isn't free, bandwidth and CPU are still consumed, and that hits the wallet as well.

actually, I like probing for UDP tracker supports a lot better than the DNS idea. It seems simpler, more secure and more platform independent support.
Ugly!
Better error handling on the client side would be a big step forward on reduction of traffic. There are several cases where the retry timer shoulld not be set and the tracker disabled:

1. The tracker does not exist (http error 404?).

It's been pointed out to me on bt.org that 404's may be generated by middlemen. Still' date=' I think a higher timeout or not even bothering would be appropriate, especially if [i']plenty of other trackers are functional.

Beating off a dead horse the original multitracker spec was to (basically) hit up only one tracker at a time, but the "solution" to a large chunk of peers potentially being crap? Hit a tracker in every tier, no matter how many tiers exist!

-- 2012-07-30: Version 3.2 (build 27636)

- Feature: disallow http connections to tracker.openbittorrent.com and tracker.publicbt.com

Interesting. Why this change? Especially considering neither of these trackers has worked at all for me (http or udp) for the last week or so.. Roughly since Demonoid went down.

Gotta ask. Why do I see updates on the web for new versions of uTorrent before new versions are posted here? If there's time to upload a new build, why no time to update a thread?

BTW guys uTorrent 3.2 build 27708 stable is out, although not officially, I'd rather wait to see a change log first.

So can one of the mods/admins explain the changes to dht regarding magnet links? It seems like now (vs 3.1.3) uTorrent will force dht on (and on for new torrents) if you add a magnet-linked torrent. Am I understanding that correctly? That's a global settings change, correct?

I ask because I've used magnet links sometimes, but having dht turned on destroys my router (It's one from the ISP, does router/modem and sucks pretty hard. Supports ipv6 though. Go figure.)

Archived