µTorrent 3.2 stable (27568)

Firon

very update gives the double amount of new bugs...The settings.dat still grows
What build # do you run? This should be OK in the latest - 27026 .

I am using 27020. 27026 doesn't even start for me (I am running Windows 7 Pro x64).

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

making it change to the directory above every time the Add dialog opens.

Not sure that I understand the issue. For me, I think paths are correct for multi-files' torrents, but have a redundant sub-folder when manually selecting a folder in case of a single file torrent. I think it's just because they use a "file-save-as" dialog and not a "select folder" one in that case.

I am using 27020. 27026 doesn't even start for me (I am running Windows 7 Pro x64).

Make sure your utorrent process is not running. Also, maybe this is because of your hosed settings.dat file from 29020?... You can try run it in another folder together with an empty settings.dat.

Make sure your utorrent process is not running. Also' date=' maybe this is because of your hosed settings.dat file from 29020?... You can try run it in another folder together with an empty settings.dat.[/quote']

Yes, I am sure. Do you know why? I'm running it in two different sandboxes.

27026 only fixes the remaining settings.dat growth.

While this new build fixes the problem that made it grow, it does not fix existing broken settings files.

You will have to delete your settings.dat and .old to get back to normal.

Delete your settings file before upgrading.

Yes, and add_dialog_hist seems fixed now, but it still doesn't retain the trailing "\" in the folders, making it change to the directory above every time the Add dialog opens. (ie. G:\Temp\TVEps -> G:\Temp -> G:).

I'll get this one looked into.

No idea about limitations of the sandboxes. As I said, try with an empty settings.dat file.
Well, settings.dat is empty in the current sandbox, 27026 doesn't starts. 20720 starts in its sandbox, but it's laggy and crashes whole the time. The best working versions of µTorrent for me are 2.2.1 and 3.0.

We don't really support operating with something like Sandboxie.

I know, but it is the same thing in a VM, so I don't think the problem is that I am running it in Sandboxie.

EDIT: It doesn't matter if I run µTorrent inside or outside Sandboxie.

I've just upgraded to uTorrent v.3.2.0.27026 & I find that deleting trackers crashes the app unless "Settings/UI Settings/Confirm when deleting tackers" is off :|

I did delete settings.dat & settings.dat.old

(Sorry if this has already been noted, but I didn't want to wade through 16 pages)

fwiw, most of our development happens on actual VMs.
deleting trackers crashes the app
27026 crashes randomly now about 10-15 seconds

Now I see why the crashes... :P

Resetting columns inside tabs - is crashing uT too ...

One must question *when* it gets deemed too broke to fix? When are the problems more than the solutions. And when should another path, though closely aligned, be taken?

I still maintain that the 3x - and especially the 3.2x path is irrevocably broken.

Hey, simple guideline - if rafi can break it, it ain't fixed ;)

In the latest (2) beta's there seems to be a problem with the "Add New Torrent" dialog box for a Single file torrent. When you expand the "Save In" it brings up the Windows Save As dialog box. Then you specify the name you want save the file as. uTorrent however uses that name as a Folder Name and appends Name field as the filename. In order to correct this I need to type in the desired file name twice, once when I am trying to set the folder location and in the Name box. Then I need to use the Set Download location again to correct what this dialog box does, prior to starting the download. Or I could just change the Name field, then use Set Download Location to correct the folder and do not use the "Save In" field at all.

I realize that this is beta. But generally software should have gone though internal unit and system testing prior to being released for beta testing. If you are going to use the user community as QA, perhaps uTorrent should then setup a two tier forum. One for general users, and another for a limited number of selected beta testers. Develop a schedule for releases that will allow developers and beta testers to target release of enhancements. Pick the best users who provide detailed informtion of the steps they went through - so the problem can be recreated by developers.

The bad thing about a general release of beta software is the user community is using it for production rather than just testing. So the tone of the comments can be rather harsh. You can reduce that by restricting who is in the beta tester group.

Hmmm.. I wonder if uTorrent ever thought about outsourcing their application development.

Honestly rafi, it seems more like a mis-guided Alpha. I've done a LOT of beta testing, and you just have to learn to know when to go down a different path. Known bugs not thoroughly tested, derivative bugs introduced. With all honestly, were this a professional, private organization, there would be old blood out and new blood in.

Maybe making it open source in a better way to go (and just hang on to the uT+). With a limited number of like-minded devs, you get a diminishing gene pool (and I am NOT trying to be insulting) - it's just a developmental fact. People get stuck in a rut - and I think we're in a rut with 3x. I don't code (by any means), but I DO perform a LOT of analysis/SIT/UAT and bug fixing, and have done so for many years. simply maintain that this is not the right path to go down - no flaming or blaming involved.

========

interesting. I hadn't read the post above mine before posting. "Outsourcing" would NOT be the way to go, but Open Sourcing just might. IMHO.

=====================

Just professional curiosity - are there any *real* professional Program/Project Managers running things? Any PMPs? Or is everyone a cook (dev)?

Food for thought ....

In the latest (2) beta's there seems to be a problem with the "Add New Torrent" dialog box for a Single file torrent.

Confirmed. They probably could have just used the same "set folder" dialog as they did in multi-files torrents. Till they'll fix it, I can only suggest to delete/clear the "name" field content all-together. I think the result will be as you would expect it to :P

And if you ask me, this is more in the category of a wrongly designed feature, and not a bug.

DreadWingKnight, I think people are just generally fed up 3.x that they'll try the latest beta which in all fairness does say it's meant to address issues with 3.1.x so you'd think that with that being the main focus that there would be little or no issues with 3.2. It's when you see a bug fix build introducing more errors that it's fixing you have to start ask questions.

We know 3.2 is supposed to address many 3.x issues, but I think it would be an idea to rely less on users to fault find what seem to be easy to reproduce issues which seem to be found within hours of release. This begs the question, are these builds being tested at all by the development team? Because if they are, they really should be tested more before releasing.

Archived