µTorrent 3.2 stable (27568)

Firon

I finally got the problem where ut would try to use the directory name as the file name.

- Not a magnet link

- Choose a directory that does not yet exist.

I don't think this is the only case. In my case - I've just used the default/suggested download location.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Add Torrent dialog box creates more problems because of the method to solve the problem in each case. If the Save In was strictly a folder selection process. The following could be done:

1. The Name field is always moved to the display Name in the list of torrents.

2. Single File torrent: The Name field is used as the filename.

3. Multifile (with single or multiple files):

a. For a torrent with multiple files: The Name field is ignored for the purpose of sub-directory creation - UNLESS the Save In field is the same as the Preferences -> "Put new Downloads in". The assumption is if the user selects a sub-directory different then defined in the Preferences then that is where he/she wants to store all (or majority of) the files. Individual files then can be moved via the relocate function.

b. Multifile with a single file in the torrent: The Name field is ignored for the purpose of sub-directory creation. It is used to replaced filename just as if it was classified as a single file torrent.

So I see two general cases where the multifile torrent has two sub-cases. That should not be hard to implement.

The Add Torrent dialog box creates more problems because of the method to solve the problem in each case. If the Save In was strictly a folder selection process. The following could be done:

1. The Name field is always moved to the display Name in the list of torrents.

2. Single File torrent: The Name field is used as the filename.

3. Multifile (with single or multiple files):

a. For a torrent with multiple files: The Name field is ignored for the purpose of sub-directory creation - UNLESS the Save In field is the same as the Preferences -> "Put new Downloads in". The assumption is if the user selects a sub-directory different then defined in the Preferences then that is where he/she wants to store all (or majority of) the files. Individual files then can be moved via the relocate function.

b. Multifile with a single file in the torrent: The Name field is ignored for the purpose of sub-directory creation. It is used to replaced filename just as if it was classified as a single file torrent.

So I see two general cases where the multifile torrent has two sub-cases. That should not be hard to implement.

Good ideas. Any way you slice it, there are going to be at least four cases. And unfortunately, the Add Torrent dialog throws in way more than just those options, as well. Note that RC5 already implements your suggestion of always using the directory selector, never the file selector.

As for RC5, automatic starting magnets are not fixed, going back to "stable" 3.1.3 :P

Is this when you load a magent link through the "Add Torrent" dialog?

After magnets became suddenly more popular, we wanted to implement the feature of loading torrent meta-information during the Add Torrent dialog, so the user could have a similar experience as when they load a regular torrent file.

The way we do this at the moment is to start the torrent until we get the metadata, then stop it.

Unfortunately, in the utorrent codebase, this may cause some side-effects. I believe some other posters mentioned files appearing in the wrong place. So that needs to be fixed.

Do you actually see data packets being exchanged, or just the files created on disk?

Is this when you load a magent link through the "Add Torrent" dialog?

The way we do this at the moment is to start the torrent until we get the metadata, then stop it.

No. If you just do that exact same process when people do not use the "Add" dialog, and just add stopped torrents ("don't start DL automatically" - checked) that would be perfect!

Yep, I add mangets via Add New Torrent dialog.

I see that after manget download torrent file, the uT will automatically start downloading all files from this torrent.

So odd, now mangets even don't want to download torrent file. Only restarting uT helps... odd

Yep, I add mangets via Add New Torrent dialog.

I see that after manget download torrent file, the uT will automatically start downloading all files from this torrent.

Have you tried un-checking this box?

ok9DT.png

So odd, now mangets even don't want to download torrent file. Only restarting uT helps... odd

Magnet links depend on you connecting to someone who has the torrent file, and maintaining that connection until you have downloaded all the metadata from them. It is one of the most finicky parts of the torrenting infrastructure. So, when you are testing this feature, make sure you are are in a swarm that is large enough to get you the metadata in a reasonable amount of time; check the peers tab for that torrent.

@ rafi - I'm 100% sure, I waited about 10min...

restarting uT and max. 5s and I get torrent downloaded

@ AdamK - I don't have this box checked, it's logical ;)

mmFIT.png

source link link

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:NTQFZNURWXIWH2OD4VP5HQ3T65O2NMTQ&tr=http%3A%2F%2Ftracker.0rz.ca&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%3A80

I know how magnets work, I waited 10min on about 10 added random magnets,

and when I restarted uT, it magically start downloading torrent and next all files in it

Confirmed, it looks either broken, or taking insanely long time, with plenty of seeds.

This ubuntu torrent is a good example: :(

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:8AC3731AD4B039C05393B5404AFA6E7397810B41&dn=ubuntu+11+10+oneiric+ocelot+desktop+cd+i386&tr=http%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%2Fannounce

Plus it does not always work after re-start. I got "bad parameter " status once, and after that it started the download ...

Also those two error lines are being logged:

[2012-06-26 23:43:10]  Accepted launch|Type: auto Location: magnet:?xt=urn:btih:8AC3731AD4B039C05393B5404AFA6E7397810B41&dn=ubuntu+11+10+oneiric+ocelot+desktop+cd+i386&tr=http%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%2Fannounce[2012-06-26 23:43:21]  IO Error:87 line:418 align:512 pos:0 count:27924 actual:-99[2012-06-26 23:43:21]  IO Error:87 line:1592 align:512 pos:0 count:27924 actual:-99

Hey Virtual_ManPL & Rafi,

Virtual_ManPL, Your magnet link loaded for me after 1 minute, Rafi, yours after 2 minutes.

I agree that it's taking longer than it should, though.

For Rafi's magnet link, I was connected to about 20 peers for most of the time that I was waiting for the metadata. A coworker pointed out that all the peers I was connected to had 0% of the torrent - presumably other people waiting to get the metadata, too.

Perhaps what we should do is churn our peer list until we get the metadata.

1-2m would be great! Your coworker is right, I have also all peers showing 0% :( I guess you should do something to improve that. Knowing ubuntu, this is improbable to have all 0% peers (no seeds) :( Also - it seems that the torrent does not connect to the tracker (in this ubuntu case) only DHT.

tracker.publicbt.com/announce offline (timed out) 0 0 21m 20s 0 16m 18s 30s

063729198604308.jpg

1-2m would be great! Your coworker is right, I have also all peers showing 0% :( I guess you should do something to improve that. Knowing ubuntu, this is improbable to have all 0% peers (no seeds) :( Also - it seems that the torrent does not connect to the tracker (in this ubuntu case) only DHT.

tracker.publicbt.com/announce offline (timed out) 0 0 21m 20s 0 16m 18s 30s

http://thumbnails38.imagebam.com/19861/063729198604308.jpg

This is great. Now we're getting somewhere with this problem.

[2012-06-26 20:51:59]  File not found during integrity check: C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\resume.dat[2012-06-26 20:51:59]  File not found during integrity check: C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\resume.dat.new[2012-06-26 20:51:59]  File not found during integrity check: C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\resume.dat.old[2012-06-26 20:51:59]  File not found during integrity check: C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\remote-devpair.dat[2012-06-26 20:51:59]  File not found during integrity check: C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\remote-devpair.dat.new[2012-06-26 20:51:59]  File not found during integrity check: C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\remote-devpair.dat.old

with RC5 the "remote-devpair" error is new... resume.dat error is old; I have resume_dir_only enabled, etc.

I just updated to 27503 and I still have a single file torrent not working correctly when loaded via magnet but i found something interesting.

When i just open the torrent magnet, wait for it to populate and click ok the torrent name and file name appears as Downloads (the save path is d:\torrents\downloads) (same problem ive been having for a while)

If i untick the Start Torrent checkbox the torrent name is the file name and the file name is Downloads (closer to working but still not quite).

Hope that helps figure out whats going on.

Fix: Single-file torrent name issue; ut would try to use the directory name as the file name

I thought you will never fix this bug. Thanks, but it's not really fixed. I's just became buggy in another way:

Issue #1. after you click [...] button and browse to some directory uTorrent doesn't show the contents of this directory - the file list is empty and you cannot select some file (to replace it with the one that is being downloaded or to join the upload of the file that was downloaded before) - because you have nothing to select: all the directories are empty in this view.

Issue #2. After you select the directory and click [select folder], uTorrent ignores the contents of the "Name" field in uTorrent "Add New Torrent" dialog.

For example:

1) the releaser chose the following filename:

The.Newsroom.2012.S01E01.HDTV.x264-ASAP.mp4

2) you download the torrent file, open it - uTorrent shows the "Add New Torrent" dialog:

1608.th.png

3) then you click [...] in uTorrent dialogue, and it the Save dialog is shown:

1609.th.png

4) you select some directory. BTW uTorrent doesn't show any files in this directory. OK, whatever. So you click [select folder] (the button with the text "Выбор папки" on the screenshot). uTorrent uses the path to this folder in the path field:

1611.th.png

5) so far almost everything goes normal normal.

But now you change the filename (to "Newsroom.S01E01.mp4" in my example):

1612l.th.png

6) Here the main bug shows itself - after you click [OK] uTorrent adds the file to the list with original name and downloads it using the original filename in the resulting path:

1613.th.png

The path should be as follows:

D:\SomeNewPath\Newsroom.S01E01.mp4

But uTorrent downloads it with original name (completely ignoring the contents of the "Name" field in "Add New Torrent" dialog):

D:\SomeNewPath\The.Newsroom.2012.S01E01.HDTV.x264-ASAP.mp4

And you have to rename the file manually afterwards.

Please either fix this bug completely of bring back the original behavior (the single fullpath field) - it was untidy but at least it worked as it should.

Installed RC6 to deal with some major instability problems with 3.1.3, and so far that particular problem appears resolved. So far the only quirk I've noticed in RC6 is that the "Add to top of queue" checkbox in the "Add New Torrent" dialog doesn't appear to work at all. I've tried adding torrents with the option both checked and unchecked, and the torrent always ends up at the bottom of the list in priority.

utorrent32rc6-addnewtorrent.jpg

FYI I love the "edit name" ability" in the new Add New Torrent dialog, but maybe the name should go above the folder selection box? Just seems to feel odd as-is.

EDIT: Add New Torrent "top of queue" issue appears to happen only with magnet URIs. Actual .torrent file downloads from private trackers will go to the top of the queue when the option is selected, but magnet links themselves seem to ignore this option.

Well I do not know which release Meddio is using, but I agree the SingleFile torrent is still messed up in RC6. The Save In works as it should - it picks a folder where in the past you selected a physical filename. However the Name field is now ignored. When you change the value of the Name field, the Add dialog box DOES NOT replace the name of the torrent, nor the physical filename where the file is to be stored.

It would be so much simpler if you got someone who understands how the Add dialog box is suppose to work, the flow of the use cases, and new how to code. Since the developer did not understand my suggestion here some pseudo code:

proc SingleFile

Torrent.Filename = AddDialog.Name;

Torrent.Path = AddDialog.SaveInPath + AddDialog.Name;

proc MultiFile

if SingleFile_MultiFile

SingleFile

else

if DefaultTorrentDownloadSaveIn = ""

DefaultTorrentDownloadSaveIn = "C:\Users ..... etc."

if AddDialog.SaveInPath = DefaultTorrentDownloadSaveIn

Torrent.Path = Create Directory (AddDialog.SaveInPath + AddDialog.Name)

else

Torrent.Path = AddDialog.SaveInPath

proc On_Click_Add_Dialog

if Torrent_multifile

Multifile

else

Singlefile;

Torrent.Name = AddDialog.Name

If there are side issues I will let you figure it out.

Archived