µTorrent 3.2 stable (27568)

Firon

all the directories are empty in this view.

It is intentional,, intended to select a destination PATH, not replace the file name. The "name" field suppose to be for file name change.

Add dialog box DOES NOT replace the name of the torrent, nor the physical filename where the file is to be stored.

It's just a simple bug ... I'm sure the devs will fix it ASAP... :)

I wonder if this shuold effect just the file name.. I think - also the torrent name .

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I do not know which release Meddio is using

2012-06-26: Version 3.2 Release Candidate 6 (build 27503)

However the Name field is now ignored. When you change the value of the Name field, the Add dialog box DOES NOT replace the name of the torrent, nor the physical filename where the file is to be stored.

Yep. That is what I was talking about.

all the directories are empty in this view.

It is intentional' date=', intended to select a destination PATH, not replace the file name. The "name" field suppose to be for file name change.[/quote']

OK. Here is a typical situation:

1) I have some video with the name "Movie.mkv" downloaded earlier and saved to D: (D:\Movie.mkv).

2) There's a torrent on some tracker with the exact same release of this movie (files are identical).

3) I want to join the upload and become on of the seeders of this movie.

4) So I download this torrent. The releaser used some other name: "The_Movie_BDRip.mkv"

5) I want to point uTorrent to my file "D:\Movie.mkv"

(so that UT would check it's hash and start the uploading)

Earlier I could do this by clicking [...] and selecting this file in the "Save As" dialog.

But now this dialog doesn't show any files. So my only option is going to Explorer, clicking F2 on the file, copying it's name to the clipboard, switching back to uTorrent's "Add New Torrent" dialog and pasting my filename ("Movie.mkv") to the "Name" field by replacing the releaser's "The_Movie_BDRip.mkv" - I think that this is unnecessary waste of time. I could have just selected the mentioned file in "Save As" dialog in one click.

The solution for single file torrents is quite simple. Do you want to use different fields for the Path and for the Name? OK. You can use the same "Save as" dialog and kill two birds with one stone.

1) there are two fields in the "Add New Torrent" dialog (as in the latest release) but "Save as" dialog shows both folders and files: user goes to the needed folder (creates one if necessary)

2) and the filename is displayed in the textfield below the files list (all the Windows Save As dialogs work this way)

3) user can even change this name

4) extension is always displayed in this field (because uTorrent can sometimes loose the extension depending on the windows Folder Settings - this is the very old bug).

5) But when the user clicks [save] uTorrent parses the filename dividing it into two fields (the path and the name).

That's all. Nothing difficult. And the dialog will magically become friendly, predictable and easy to use.

BTW Windows has the proper dialog for selecting folders (it can be used to select saving location for multiple files torrents). It looks like this:

1615.th.png

Why does uTorrent use "Save As" dialog (made for saving files) to select folders, when there is a conventional dialog for choosing folders?

I completely agree with jbebad: the new dialog is made without understanding how it is supposed to work. At first it was adding the filename as the subfolder. Now it ignores the "Name" field. What next?

Previous RC4 issues : http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=667648#p667648

RC6 issues:

Fixed:

-2 Fixed: crash when using Authenticated Sock4 proxy [119]

-3 Fixed: crash when click-download a magnet from the RSS list-view (for example - The Pirate Bay's...) [111]

-5 Fixed: "Add Torrent" dialog is wrongly assigning the torrent name as part of the "Save-as" folder name field in case of a single-file-torrent ( this is only when you select-change to a different folder, cause using the 'save-as' sub-dialog instead of 'select folder' one ) [125]

(-7 To Be Fixed Later: The Upload limiter breaks down when set to *include* overhead, and the download-induced-overhead exceeds the set limit [116, will be fixed in the next stable release] )

--8a Fixed: Swapping torrent name with file name for a single file torrent http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=666154#p666154 [132] (see # 12 below)

--8c Fixed: "Run program" when download complete - is wrongly being executed after meta-data is loaded [129]

-12 Fixed: The RC4 modified "Add torrent" in dialog is using illegal path name for a single file torrents as default "x:/.../dir.*". It also does not open the "save as" in the default download path location

Not fixed:

-- 2012-06-26: Version 3.2 Release Candidate 6 (build 27503)

-1 Not Fixed: crash when running "setup-guide"->speed-test twice [96]

-4 Not Fixed: auto-downloading tracker-less magnets from RSS will not auto-enable DHT, and will never download [114]

-6 Not Fixed: uTP delay graph is broken (in the negative territory, and huge delay value on the Y axis ... ) [92]

-8 Not Fixed: Issues with "Add magnet" dialog:

--b"Add to top of queue" checkbox - not working [131/133]

--d Sometimes a queue # is not being assigned to a new download

-9 Not Fixed: A status of a seeding torrent - is not being updated when "Initial seeding" is being checked/unchecked during seeding time[124]

-11 Not Fixed: When using magnets with multiple files, and changing the destination folder *after* meta-data is loaded, a partfile is being created and left over with the original folder [106]

-14 Not Fixed: In "Add magnet" when setting a new folder for multi-files - torrent, it does not use the listed "name" (sub-folder) under it [TBD]

-15 Not Fixed: Labels entered via the RSS downloader dialog - are being lost in the system and are not visible in the main view->labels column [127]

-16 Not Fixed: Poor PartFile processing causes performance issues (Disk IO, Speed) at high speeds. [118]

-17 Not Fixed: Changing the "Name" in the "Add-torrent" - does not change the resulting file/folder name (tested on a single file torrent) [TBD]

-18 Not Fixed: Waiting magnets are not being noticed in "auto-standby" after DL complete.

Waiting for the next RC ... :)

Feel free to confirm/reject any of the above points

Now it ignores the "Name" field. What next?

Next ? They'll probably fix it next. So much complaining about a free app... :P

I see now what you mean about your seeding use-case . Since they wanted to split file<->folder names for some reason, I think the best adaptation will be - maybe just *adding* another file "save as" button/dialog near the name field.

And I agree with you about using that alternative Win dialog... :)

Next? They'll probably fix it. So much complaining about a free app...

File managing is the essential function. No other functions should be added or developed before file managing is perfectly debugged.

Why is this complaining? Proprietary paid software developers use the help of testers. Free software developers rely on the community reports. Many file issues were reported months earlier and are still present in the new builds. There's quite a good cause for complaining.

As for me I try to make complete, illustrated and clear reports as opposed to saying something nonconstructive like "Your soft is buggy, I will use some other client". uTorrent is very powerful client with some very useful and unique features. That's why some of my posts concerning imperfect file management may appear emotional.

Since they wanted to split file<->folder names for some reason, I think the best adaptation will be - just *adding* another file "save as" button/dialog near the name field.

Two dialogs for the same purpose? That is a dead end.

Meddio: I have not tried typing in the Save In path. But it would seem that a check to see if it exists and then create it if it doesn't would be simple to implement. I would hope that the Name filed (on a multifile torrent) would only be used to create a sub-directory when the Save In field = the default save downloads field - since a lot of different torrent downloads are stored there. You can assume the user has selected (or created) the sub-directory where they want it stored. To always add the Name field can (from time to time until you are very experienced) can cause another redundent sub-directory - such as ...\tv-show - Season 01\tv-show - Season 01. They could check the end of the Path string to see if it is NOT the same as the Name field the append it to the Save In string and create it. That would solve that problem.

jbebad, I've read the changelog one more time and it seems that the mentioned problem with "\" and new/existing folders was meant by this point:

Fix: Single-file torrent name issue; ut would try to use the directory name as the file

I was hoping earlier, that it had to do with the old bug when the "Save as" dialog added the filename as subfolder (like this: "D:\SomeFolder\filename.ext\filename.ext"), but after re-reading the changelog I think that they meant the first one (with new/existing folders and "\"). Well, well' see in next build.

(So I deleted my previous message)

They could check the end of the Path string to see if it is NOT the same as the Name field the append it to the Save In string and create it. That would solve that problem.

There are many different checks needed when there's a question of torrent file management. I hope the developers would spare much time to this matter. It is far more important than converting or streaming the video in torrent-client.

As for nested folders, some clowns put single files into subfolders, like "releasegroup\quality\filename-quality-releasegroup.mkv" (when they prepare the torrent file). But I can't imagine the algorithm of removing such subfolders from the torrent - some of them are useful, some are not.

I just updated to 27503 and I still have a single file torrent not working correctly when loaded via magnet but i found something interesting.

When i just open the torrent magnet, wait for it to populate and click ok the torrent name and file name appears as Downloads (the save path is d:\torrents\downloads) (same problem ive been having for a while)

If i untick the Start Torrent checkbox the torrent name is the file name and the file name is Downloads (closer to working but still not quite).

Hope that helps figure out whats going on.

Thank you! We'll have that one fixed soon.

OK. Here is a typical situation:

1) I have some video with the name "Movie.mkv" downloaded earlier and saved to D: (D:\Movie.mkv).

2) There's a torrent on some tracker with the exact same release of this movie (files are identical).

3) I want to join the upload and become on of the seeders of this movie.

4) So I download this torrent. The releaser used some other name: "The_Movie_BDRip.mkv"

What you are describing would be great if all torrents were single file torrents.

What you are describing would be great if all torrents were single file torrents.

s/to my file/to my sub-folder/ for multi-files' torrent ...

That is why I called it "The solution for single file torrents". "Single file torrents" and "Multiple filed torrents" are different objects (entities) and it seems to me that they should be processed in different ways.

When we open single-file torrent, in effect, we save the file (so the "Save file" dialog should work exactly the same as any other "Save file" - it should let the user choose or create the target directory and modify the filename, maybe even select the target file if you want to overwrite it)

But when we open multiple-files torrent, we deal with folders and only with folders - there's no need in "Save File" dialog. There shouldn't even be the "Name" field displayed. We already are choosing the path, why should we add one more prefix to it? The "Save in" field is enough when we deal with folders ( = "with multiple-files torrents").

BTW all the misunderstandings and bugs (like the "filename.ext" added as the subfolder) with this dialog are the result of mixing these two concepts in uTorrent GUI.

It would be so much simpler if you got someone who understands how the Add dialog box is suppose to work, the flow of the use cases, and new how to code. Since the developer did not understand my suggestion here some pseudo code:

If there are side issues I will let you figure it out.

Dear jbebad,

You are, of course, completely correct. How could it have escaped our attention that it would, indeed, be simpler to acquire developers who understand how the Add dialog box should work, and who know how to code?

I really feel quite silly, I must say, that it had never occurred to us, in all this time, to do those two things. If only we had known! Just think what utorrent might have been! Let us not luxuriate in our reminiscences, however. What is called for now is action, my good sir!

We here at Bittorrent will immediately drop what we are doing and endeavor to find a developer who "now" how to code, AND who knows how that ruddy Add Torrent dialog is "suppose" to work.

By your leave, I should warn you, though, that that may take some not inconsiderable time, and I hope that in the meantime you will derive some benefit from our meager programming abilities.

Ever your humble servant,

AdamK

Meddio: Of course there are many different checks that need to be made, but they are all done (or should be done) at the ok_on_click event.

If you got the impression that I wanted to delete or change the sub-folders defined in a multifile torrent - then I was not clear enough. I was only changing the filename on a singlefile torrent or a multifile with only a single file. True multifle would keep all of its sub-folders. (There is no way multple sub-folders and and associated files could be changed unless they allowed modification on that grid.)

I was going to say - I do not think you should require the user to enter the "\" to determine whether you will create a sub-directory using the Name field. (I would not use it.) But I can see where it would save you a few key strokes if you selected the parent directory via the Select Folder dialog box , modified the return path to add the "\" (or typed in the entire path and included the "\") to flag uTorrent to create the sub-directory with Save In path + Name field.

Another bug occuring since 1.8 : you highlight a torrent in "all torrent", then you select the view "uploading torrents", and your torrent is highlighted in grey : clicking on it turn it to blue ; you click on every thumb in the bottom, nothing listed ; in order to repair the view, you have to highlight another torrent, then again your favourite torrent, all thumbs "magically" function normally and display, if possible, what they are supposed to display. This bug is minor, but irritating from time to time.

BTW all the misunderstandings and bugs (like the "filename.ext" added as the subfolder) with this dialog are the result of mixing these two concepts in uTorrent GUI.

This is correct. I will see to it that we give this dialog the time it deserves in 3.3

No, jbebad, I've completely understood you right away. And I wrote that the bug mentioned by me in deleted message (to which you've replied) was already fixed in the latest build. There's no error with missing "\". uTorrent works correctly: if the folder path (which is typed in "Save in" field) exists, uTorrent uses it, if it is missing, uTorrent creates it.

Changelog:

-- 2012-06-26: Version 3.2 Release Candidate 6 (build 27503)

- Fix: Single-file torrent name issue; ut would try to use the directory name as the file name

Before we release this next RC, I want to point something out:

We currently have no mechanism to set information on a magnet link (e.g. the torrent name / file name), and have that apply later, when the magnet information comes in.

What that means for the Add Torrent dialog:

As some have pointed out, the "Name" field does not apply to the torrent properties when you click OK in the Add Torrent dialog. If we fix that, this problem will still occur for torrents whose metadata has not arrived before you click "OK". (They will use the original name)

This also ties into utorrent's poor directory/file management. We need to make some improvements to moving torrents' data directories before adding /fixing more functionality in the Add Torrent dialog.

For now, it seems enough of an improvement to be able to see torrent metadata in the add Torrent dialog from magnet links to keep the current scheme until the next round of improvements.

This also ties into utorrent's poor directory/file management. We need to make some improvements to moving torrents' data directories before adding /fixing more functionality in the Add Torrent dialog.

BTW, there's one useful feature concerning directory/file management. uTorrent is already able to move some files (in multi-files torrent) to another location. It would be great if it was also able to delete the files completely.

E.g. you have downloaded the complete collection of some TV show (e.g. 10 seasons). You have already watched the first 5 seasons and want to release some precious HDD-space by deleting these 5 seasons.

At this time (if you want to remain a partial seeder) you need to:

1) stop the torrent

2) select these seasons in uTorrent, right click, select "Don't download"

3) go to Explorer

4) manually delete these files

5) go to uTorrent, rigth-click, "Force re-check" (so that uTorrent would update ~uTorrentPartFile*.dat)

6) and after waiting some time (depending on the size, disk fragmentation, disk load, etc.) you can start uploading

But if there would be a command next to "Don't download" (in the files list of the mentioned torrent) with the text like "Remove completely" (and the corresponding functionality), uTorrent could do it all by itself - even without rechecking all the files.

Meddio: I don't think it is as easy as it sounds (removing a file or a subset of files) from a completed torrent. The problem is cross file pieces. Part files would have to be created for all files removed that have a piece that is also part of the file being retained. And if you deleted a file and its piece crossed into a part file, the part file (even one just created) would also have to be removed. A lot of processing.

Before we release this next RC, I want to point something out:

We currently have no mechanism to set information on a magnet link (e.g. the torrent name / file name), and have that apply later, when the magnet information comes in.

What that means for the Add Torrent dialog:

As some have pointed out, the "Name" field does not apply to the torrent properties when you click OK in the Add Torrent dialog. If we fix that, this problem will still occur for torrents whose metadata has not arrived before you click "OK". (They will use the original name)

Would it be feasible to simply have the Name field disabled from editing in this case, but still populated with the metadata if the user chooses to wait for it?

Zarggg: The point of the Name field being used as the torrent name is to facilitate the user in locating it later in the main window (sorting by name, etc.). There is no reason why the Name needs to be modified by uTorrent upon completion of downloading the metadata. There is no counting the number of variations used in the naming a torrent when the content is the same. Look at how many names are used to represent a single tv show season, a set of documentaries, etc. (Some sites like to put there www.<theresite> in the beginning of the torrent name. Some put special characters such as "[","]", etc. in the name. All stuff that makes it hard(er) to organize torrents and the data associated with them.)

My feelings are magnets require unique processing and should be classified as such. Initially they should have a "Get Metadata" classification and should NOT use the current Add dialog box since 99% of the data on the screen is blank until the metadata is downloaded. The amount of time to download the metadata is undetermined and depends on the number of seeders/peers who already have the torrent and all the other issues concerning upload/download performance. Waiting a minute+ in the Add dialog box is unacceptable. If there as a classification "ready for download" (or something like that) utorrent could:

1. Automatically start the download metadata with a status of "Metadata Downloading".

2. Upon completion of the metadata download "Ready for Download" or "Stopped" status. I would rather the "Ready for Download" because it helps identify those torrents where the user may desire to change the download location (filenames, etc.) prior to the actual start of the download.

3. Users can use "Set Download location" and/or "Relocate" to move files if desired. otherwise defaults are used.

4. User Starts the download of the torrent.

In this case directories (folder, sub-folders) are not created until the start of the Download. Even for a normal torrent where you would use the current Add box, uTorrent could delay creating the folders until the initial start download command (and probably does).

Oh well.

If we fix that, this problem will still occur for torrents whose metadata has not arrived before you click "OK". (They will use the original name)

Not if you make sure this change *holds* and always does not revert to the "original" after the meta-data arrives. Just, always use the name loaded with the magnet (and maybe modified). Torrents' *names* are 99.9% the same (not changed) in the meta-data (like a key), so it is valid to change it before or after the meta-data arrives.

They will just be used as display and folder names per the use convenience.

1. Automatically start the download metadata with a status of "Metadata Downloading".

+1.

Magnets should, by default, auto-load the meta-data when being added (unless the user presses "stop", or advance-option not to), and should display "Waiting for torrent info" in the status.

Archived