Disk Overloaded 100% at about 10MBps.

GbeTech

I've upgraded my internet connection to 12.5Mbyte/s DL. (100MBit/s)

At first I got the Disk Overloaded message at 5Mbps. After some trial and error, I set the disk cache to 512MB. I got the message again at about 10.5MBps. At this point I assumed it's not the amount of allocated MB that's responsible for the bottleneck.

http://i44.tinypic.com/308bqyq.png

A few seconds after the picture was taken, the DO 100% message appeared.

Any ideas what's causing this?

Hi GbeTech:

I don´t know the DO error but I have similar problem with my 50Mbps connection. I´ll try to explain the causes of mine:

When the first piece of data (in time, no position) of any file is downloaded uTorrent needs to allocate as muchs space of disk as size of the file. So, if you are downloading a 50 GB torrent with lots of files, uTorrent will start allocating space for every file when any piece is dowloaded. It´s very probabli that uTorrent needs to allocate the space for whole torrent.

In summary: after 200 mb of data (about 20 secons with your connecion) uTorrent needs to reserve 50 GB of disk space with overload any hard disk for a while. You only can wait until the allocation finish.

While uTorrent is writing to disk it stops reading so upload became 0.

If you look Disk stadistiks in uTorrent you will only see writes when the downlaoded pieces are writed to disk, but no all the space before them.

You can see real disk writes with "Performance monitor" in Windows 7.

I hope this can help you or anyone else.

"Pre-allocate all files" starts the allocation task when the torrent is added.

This can help, but you disk read/write will be delayed until all the space is allocated. Whe memory cache is full download is suspended. It will be resumed as soon as a piece is written to disk and leave some room.

If you increase manually the cache size uTorrent will continue download and luckly it won´t be full before all the space are allocated. In this case download will be continuous, it depens on download speed and file allocation speed (disk write).

I didn´t test if "diskio.no_zero" can instantly allocate the space, but as Firon said you need to run uTorrent as administrator.

• 1 month later...

I know another solution if the cache gets bottlenecked and you can't start downloading again unless you close utorrent/bittorrent. Try and clear your cache via your internet browser(s)...that worked for me.

My issue was that the cache wouldn't move the writes to file it kept writing to cache without refreshing/allocating the cache.

• 2 weeks later...

for me setting

Enable write caching on device

and

Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on device

ON in disc drive's properties in policies tab

and reducing write cache in Utorrent to 25 MB (less than buffer size of my HDD of 32 MB)

AND downloading 3 torrent at a time max

Helped with problem. (preallocate files enabled, top DL speed 2MB/s)

yes preallocating take time with large torrents but hopefully reduces fragmentation (which I'm not sure yet)

!And (probably the reason I got out of the problem) I moved to external drive MyBook World edition and not the HDD with C: drive on it (where the System is installed)

Edit: eventually torrents with 4000+ files still show (Downloading 100%) tag, still waiting (15 minutes for now)

(process explorer shows I/O delta about 10 Kb/s)

30 minutes torrent completed...HAPPY!

Looks like my Ethernet HDD can't work well with lots of files (but speed looks like real 10Kb/s) (same stuff happened with my internal SATA and external USB drives, maybe I should try eSata? But 10Kb/s is still strange my MyBook World Edition can manage up to 20 Mb/s in my case)

P.S. sorry for using this forum as a blog!

This is ridiculous.... uTorrent Devs, PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE!

NO OTHER torrent client that I tried have this problem.

What's this "Disk overloaded" BS?! My disk activity LED is not even lit when this occurs.

Uninstalling uTorrent, going back to Vuze for a while...

My system details: Vista Business 32bit, 128Gb SSD (10Gb free), 20Mbit download speed, 2.5G torrent file download, uTorrent 3.1.3 with default settings.

• 2 months later...
I know another solution if the cache gets bottlenecked and you can't start downloading again unless you close utorrent/bittorrent. Try and clear your cache via your internet browser(s)...that worked for me.

My issue was that the cache wouldn't move the writes to file it kept writing to cache without refreshing/allocating the cache.

this is the dumbest thing i've read all week.

Uninstalling uTorrent, going back to Vuze for a while...

this is even dumber.

Any one have any alternative suggestions for the time being? :rolleyes:

Yes. Just hope that the way of handling of large multi-files torrents will be optimized/improve, and that the new disk IO system will prove itself in the upcoming 3.3 . Keeping your fingers crossed - will not heart as well ... ;)

TESTED YOUR NUMBERS STILL GET OVERLOAD :mad:

Did you test mine ?...

Actually, except for that limited solution, two things may improve it right now:

1. using single file torrents when possible

2. trying to not skip files

3. preallocate the torrents

4. increase priority to the idle thread inside uTorrent

One other possible reason I've noticed - is increased overload with the the large files inside multi-files torrents are not aligned (smaller files are placed *before* them). Only the devs can improve on that one.

• 2 weeks later...

rafi, you My v3.x quick-fix >"Best Practice" settings.dat file< (^ see tip #O) saved me from disk overloaded on 2 torrents ~100gb each with 700mb files!

so thank you for the settings, your awesome! i guess the allocation thing was at me, when i started the torrent i saw the torrents status was "allocating" now i don't see even for an sec the overloaded disk thing

thank you bro:cool:

edit: i forgot to say something pretty important, i've just tested my network to get full potential of my internet connection and i downloading the torrents at 11MB/s all these with the cache setted by you(128mb) it's preatty large for an sata hdd with 32mb but i don't care until i don't get the disk overload thing

i recommand to those who have problems with the disk overload to download that settings and put in on, it will fix it, mine was fixed by it so just give it an try;)

regards

• 2 weeks later...
They are improving the disk I/O system in 3.3 .

For 3.2 - you can try my settings in my sig/guide to improve a bit.

Thank you much Rafi, I just started seeing this in my client and your quick fix tutorial (replacing settings.dat) did the trick, all is better now.

Im using client v.3.2 on windows 7 Ultimate (svc pack 1)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest djchristian

What does cache size in utorrent do? And what is Pre-allocate all files do and where can i turn it on? I've read here that i have to preallocate the torrents but how do i do that? I also heard that i have to change cluster size, where do i do that?

Thanks!

Archived