it is possible to download anonymous with u torrent?

angelfly

Torrentting with any client 100% anonymously is very hard to do.

Any proxy or vpn service you connect will: A. Have your connecting IP, B. Likely have your billing information if a paid service.

The two you mentioned are complete crap IMHO.

Read: http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-providers-really-take-anonymity-seriously-111007/ for some options.

Personally I recommend prq.se and get a VPN with a static IP, that way private trackers aren't an issue. In addition they only require an email address.

IFar

Edit: Spelling

• 2 weeks later...

prq.se isn't cheap :-)

I am midly interested in proxy/vpn solutions, but incoming connections need to work (which probably means I need a vpn; I doubt proxies allow incoming connections), so I have several questions about such a solution:

Q1- Since PRQ offers you a fixed IP tunnel I presume any unsollicited connections sent to that IP will be passed back to you? This should really be asked to PRQ, but as a general rule, do providers who offer a unique ip at the end of the tunnel allow incoming connections? (there are privacy considerations too, if your vpn IP never changes...)

Q2- What happens in the case of a vpn supplier that does "overloading" (providing somewhat better privacy) - will incoming connections work at all? What about uTP hole punching, does that work through OpenVPN and allow incoming connections even if vpn provider does "NAT overloading"?

Q3- Is there a way to bind uTorrent to a specific adapter, so I don't have to "redirect-gateway def1" in OpenVPN? I'd like to funnel only uTorrent traffic through the vpn (this provides better privacy; your browsing habits etc can't be tied to the vpn IP)...

Thank you much for any insights.

Best Regards,

prq.se isn't cheap :-)

I am midly interested in proxy/vpn solutions, but incoming connections need to work (which probably means I need a vpn; I doubt proxies allow incoming connections), so I have several questions about such a solution:

Q1- Since PRQ offers you a fixed IP tunnel I presume any unsollicited connections sent to that IP will be passed back to you? This should really be asked to PRQ, but as a general rule, do providers who offer a unique ip at the end of the tunnel allow incoming connections? (there are privacy considerations too, if your vpn IP never changes...)

Q2- What happens in the case of a vpn supplier that does "overloading" (providing somewhat better privacy) - will incoming connections work at all? What about uTP hole punching, does that work through OpenVPN and allow incoming connections even if vpn provider does "NAT overloading"?

Q3- Is there a way to bind uTorrent to a specific adapter, so I don't have to "redirect-gateway def1" in OpenVPN? I'd like to funnel only uTorrent traffic through the vpn (this provides better privacy; your browsing habits etc can't be tied to the vpn IP)...

Thank you much for any insights.

Best Regards,

Q1. Any decent vpn provider shouldn't block any inbound traffic regarless if static or dynamic.

Q2. Overloading is not better privacy, it's kinda like security through obscurity, it never works. Especially if they keep logs. :) No idea about the hole punching.

Q3. You can bind utorrent to a specific IP Advanced -> net.bind_ip and net.outgoing_ip. However it's best to null route all non vpn traffic, incase your VPN dies/disconnets, utorrent would then start connecting from your ISP's ip which can be dangerous. (Same to be said for disonnecting/reconning IRC clients) ;)

Regarding web traffic (or any traffic). Personally I think it is safer to route ALL data over the VPN. As there is no chance of matching up your ISP's IP with your VPN ip. If you allow traffic from both IP's there are ways to match them up.

IFar

Good day!

Overloading is not better privacy, it's kinda like security through obscurity, it never works. Especially if they keep logs. smile No idea about the hole punching.

I'm assuming a provider with no logs, otherwise it matters not what you use, there's always a trace back to you. Even with no logs, if you always get the same IP, and if that can be matched to your payment records, trouble (well, there's at least 1 provider who accepts bitcoins).

As far as dynamic IP at the public end of the tunnel, I agree it isn't better privacy if someone needs only a single day's worth of activity to nail you for something (a single copyrighted download). But it does make it hard to build a profile over serveral months if your IP changes daily.

Regardless, I was really thinking of overloading as meaning "several customers using the same end IP". In such a setup, there is no way for the NAT device to know, when it gets an inbound connection, who to send that connection to. Port Forwarding and Hole-punching are a work around for this but I don't know if that works on VPN connections.

You can bind utorrent to a specific IP Advanced -> net.bind_ip and net.outgoing_ip.

Duh, it's all there in advanced settings; shoulda looked there first :-) Thanks!

However it's best to null route all non vpn traffic, incase your VPN dies/disconnets, utorrent would then start connecting from your ISP's ip which can be dangerous. (Same to be said for disonnecting/reconning IRC clients).

Won't it behave nice and still try to send traffic to the now dead gateway?

Regarding web traffic (or any traffic). Personally I think it is safer to route ALL data over the VPN. As there is no chance of matching up your ISP's IP with your VPN ip. If you allow traffic from both IP's there are ways to match them up.

Hmm. I am trying to see how such matches can be made, but failing, lol. I'm thinking what if I want to play online, I would benefit from better latency by not going through the vpn...

Thanks for your help!

Best Regards,

Archived