Locking Up For No Apparent Reason :(

DeathStalker

3.1 Build 26616 - same settings I've always had. That's why I find it so strange. No matter what, it won't go more than 7 or 8 hours without just going to "Not Responding" - even when nothing else is going on.

Ending the Task usuallu doesn't help - it DOES remove it from the task manager, but then the program won't re-start without a re-boot.

First, update to the latest stable version. Second, the fact your settings are as before doesn't mean that they are as recommended. "Start with making sure that you have the correct upload speed with your ISP in the Setup Guide.". Third, it might be your modem or router last days.

Just in the last couple of days, uT has started locking up for no apparent reason - usually though, when the speed is around my max DL. Don't know if it might be related to the number of active/inactive/total downloads loaded.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

I have noticed the same. At first I thought it was linked to the way it pre-loads content from magnetic links, especially from queueing multiple links at the same time, but recently I am leaning towards a direct link to hitting the max cap of the line used.

All I did to verify this was to cap uT slightly below my known max cap, like 100k/s.

I've now had it pre-loading 40 magnetic links without a freeze.

Very weid bug, indeed!

Latest "stable" version has TOO MANY ISSUES! Period. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Face it, 3x has been bad from the beginnning.

I may just forget about 3x entirely and perm go back to 2.2.1.

I just happen to like the expanded categories in 3x. Easy to switch from DL to UL to Active.

And my locking issue had nothing to do with magnetic links.

Latest "stable" version has TOO MANY ISSUES! Period. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Face it, 3x has been bad from the beginnning.

I may just forget about 3x entirely and perm go back to 2.2.1.

I just happen to like the expanded categories in 3x. Easy to switch from DL to UL to Active.

And my locking issue had nothing to do with magnetic links.

I've seen this with the latest stable through every 3.2 beta to date, fwiw.

The beta prior to the one they made into the latest stable did NOT exhibit this behavior, oddly enough.

It IS a problem with direct links.

If I dl a torrent file and start it, I have no problems at all and can dl as many torrent files and start them as I want. If I use a magnet link, it crashes every time after the fourth or fifth link.

At first, I minimised to after every link and I thought it was because the system was getting bogged down with opening it every time I clicked a magnet link. Then I just left the window behind the browser and it still crashes.

IMHO it has something to do with the way the magnet link talks to uTorrent in order to access the file.

Edit:

Additionally, when I have to force it to close because it isn't responding, I lose all the magnet links I have added since utorrent launched last. If they are still downloading, I have to search around to find them all again in order to restart them all. Instead of saving on shut down for magnet links, it needs to save the list after every successful link so only the most recent link is lost.

It IS a problem with direct links.

If I dl a torrent file and start it, I have no problems at all and can dl as many torrent files and start them as I want. If I use a magnet link, it crashes every time after the fourth or fifth link.

At first, I minimised to after every link and I thought it was because the system was getting bogged down with opening it every time I clicked a magnet link. Then I just left the window behind the browser and it still crashes.

IMHO it has something to do with the way the magnet link talks to uTorrent in order to access the file.

Yes, it has to do with the pre-load of the magnetic link content, not sure if it related to relocating the files or whatnot, as I have all these features switched on.

Edit:

Additionally, when I have to force it to close because it isn't responding, I lose all the magnet links I have added since utorrent launched last. If they are still downloading, I have to search around to find them all again in order to restart them all. Instead of saving on shut down for magnet links, it needs to save the list after every successful link so only the most recent link is lost.

Yes, this irritates me to no end!

At the very least there should be a setting we can use to touch up the current downloads list at almost every turn, on order to avoid losing too many of the recent additions.

Archived