Setting HTPC to pull freshly downloaded .torrent files from laptops

cplhornby

Hello Everyone!

I tried trolling through other topics to find an answer but I have found nothing, so please redirect me if this question has been answered.

I have already set up my wife and I's laptops to download and sort torrents automatically, however, now that we have an HTPC running 24/7, we'd like to use that as our downloader.

I want to set up my system so that every time one of us downloads a a .torrent file, our HTPC moves it to the HTPC itself, starts the download, and then sorts it with the labeling system. I could understand how to do this if the HTPC could enter in multiple locations in the "automatically load .torrents from" menu in directories.

Any suggestions? I dont want to leave all our computers on just to keep our demonoid % up.... oh yea and saving power too:cool:

Thanks everyone!

What's stopping you from sharing the directory the HTPC is scanning for net torrents and using it from multiple machines? Though I doubt you'll be able to make it use labels for autoadded torrents.

Id have to set the explorer downloads to download to a directory on the HTPC, which would work; However, while away we'd have to set an alternate explorer download file. Not a huge issue, but my wife isnt teksavvy.

We both use Chrome as our explorer. If we set our laptops to automatically push Chrome explorer downloads to another machine (our HTPC), then what would it default to if it couldn't find the HTPC?

Maybe use uT adder? I think you can associate it with .torrents, open a torrent file and it transfers it to another system for downloading.

May sound like a n00b here, but what is uT adder? If there is a way I can set my computer (either with Windows 7 settings or a third party app) to push only .torrent files to an alternate computer, then my problems would be solved!

Thanks for the suggestions! Keep 'em coming guys!

What's stopping you from sharing the directory the HTPC is scanning for net torrents and using it from multiple machines? Though I doubt you'll be able to make it use labels for autoadded torrents.

Id have to set the explorer downloads to download to a directory on the HTPC' date=' which would work; However, while away we'd have to set an alternate explorer download file. Not a huge issue, but my wife isnt teksavvy.

We both use Chrome as our explorer. If we set our laptops to automatically push Chrome explorer downloads to another machine (our HTPC), then what would it default to if it couldn't find the HTPC?[/quote']

I have no idea what an "alternate explorer download file" is.

If you're talking about a save file dialog, then it will probably open your desktop or your documents folder if the previous location is unreachable. if you mean files being downloaded directly to a set directory, then you would get an error and the file wouldn't be downloaded, should the destination become unreachable.

Archived