Number of seeds

kenny6

Could you please tell me if it is more productive to seed fewer seeds rather than more seeds for example allow 6 seeds as opposed to 20 seeds,Or doesn't it matter. My upload speed is 256

I am trying to increase my share ration, which I have set at 2.00,, so I can upload as much as possible

Thanks

kenny

I do not think there is a definitive answer to your question. It depends on the people you are seeding to - besides your upload speed. It also depends on their download speed. If you are able to connect to a peer who can download at the same speed you upload - you will hit your 2.0 in no time at all. However, if they are downloading a number of torrents, so their total download bandwidth must be shared between several torrents. you can raise your number of upload connections allowed. Increase the upload connection count until you get to about 80% of your average upload speed. Sometimes you will it the limit. other times you won't. Trial and error. Note I have experience the case when I am seeding and the trackers report a number of peers wanting to download - but for some reason or another, they do not connect to me. I have tried the ban reset to see if for some reason I am blocking them, with no results.

So I am very curious concerning the validity of tracker statisitics on the number of peers (or seeders) available. You may end up having a torrent that nobody else wants to download - and never reach your goal. Remember it is just a goal, an elbow in the ribs to make sure the torrent is available to all users who want to download it. The leaves on the end of the branch will never hit their upload goal because no one else wants that specific torrent.

Thanks for that. When i started torrenting I had no idea about share ratios so I downloaded madly without uploading. Now I just want to give back twice what I download to make up for my original ignorance. I will try a high number of seeds to see how I go. Thanks for your help

kenny

Sorry I was not clear and for my lack of knowledge with the terminology.

When I download a torrent, after it finishes it then starts to seed. I download a lot so I have a number of downloads that have finished and are seeding at the one time . My share ration is set to 2.00 and therefore it can take some time for all files to reach a share ratio of 2.00 in my queued list. I was asking that in queuing is it better to allow only say,four downloads to be actually seeding and the rest to be queued seeds or will it be ok to allow all files that I have downloaded to actively seed at the one time. The reason I am asking is I want to lift my share ratio on each file to 3.00 and am wondering that if I have a large number of downloads virtually seeding indefinitely whether that is fine

A ration is a meal, ratio is the term you were looking for. If you're on a private tracker (and, considering the fact that you worry about ratio, you probably are), it is best to seed as many torrents as you can, because not every torrent is going to have leechers all the time. The amount of overhead generated by a seeding torrent with no leechers is absolutely tiny.

Also, setting a "target" ratio for a torrent doesn't really do anything useful, you can set it to 1% or 99999% and it won't do anything unless torrents end up getting queued.

Archived