uTorrent kills gigabit router with 300+ MBit/s thoughput WAN-LAN

Zolid

I registered just to post this report.

I have 100Mbit internet connection and gigabit router/NAT. Whenever I use a new version of uTorrent it overloads my router. As soon as I start a download the download speed is reduced to a maximum of 1/4 of my DL speed and it kills the internet connection for my entire LAN or rather no computer can make new connections.

I am rather sure that Utorrent opens too many connections and leaves them open which kills about any router, maybe its because of the net being gigabit. If I set the global connections really really low like ... 15 I can still google, but the DL speed is terrible!!!

I have currently reverted all my computers to utorrent 1.8.2 and that works wonderfully with 800 simultaeus connections or even higher and I get my full DL speed.

Ive had this problem for a long time now so I cant really tell with which version it all started, I tried alot of things and googled the shit out of the problem, encrypting traffic etc.

Whatever retarded feature opens too many TCP connections, I dont want or need it. FIX IT, how hard can it be... U can check the retarded utorrent behavior with Wireshark...

I have currently reverted all my computers to utorrent 1.8.2 and that works wonderfully with 800 simultaeus connections or even higher and I get my full DL speed.

And also exposes ALL of your computers to security holes.

Does your router have its SPI firewall enabled?

It seems like your router is overloading by counting each separate udp packet as a separate connection (when proper behavior dictates that udp packets with the same source+destination should be tracked as one entity).

• 4 months later...

I turned off the SPI, at first I really thought the problem was gone, but no. I have just now upgraded my connection to 300/200(From 100/10) Mbit fiberoptic and will in a weeks time be buying a new router with Gigabit WAN/LAN throughput. There is a big chance that this is the last chance uTorrent gets from me. Even with SPI totally turned off I'm not getting even close to the same speeds I used to get with the older clients eg 11MB/s(90-100Mbit). If I'm lucky It levels out on 60% (~60Mbit) even if its just a few seeders/leechers, but sometimes you see it drops down to 10-30% after a short while.

I could waste my time packetsniffing, trying to investigate the problem... Or I just revert again or change to another torrent client. I've been running the latest version for a couple of months now and Iäm having trouble even if Im just having one computer online. On the upside I've not been completely disconnected from internet/surfing while downloading in the same way as before.

I'm very disappointed with uTorrent :(

Regards!

I might have solved it, I havn't really investigated it too much but since I was looking for the uTP option I found a setting to turn it off ALONG with UDP-client support! Immediately I got better speeds, 11MB/s (slowed down by my 100 Mbit WAN port on router. I believe I found the magic setting and I believe it to be the UDP support setting that needs to be turned off.

Regards

I dont think that is the case. My verdict is that its very tough on the router with UDP and uTP (also UDP). Its probably more easy to inspect and route TCP traffic than UDP I guess? Even though I have turned off SPI completely I still had problems. Maybe there is simply too much spam traffic using UDP or/and uTP. I'd like someone who has the time to run a packet sniff and show me some statistics on the traffic, but since there is no problem when I remove the NAT its definetly not the ISP.

UDP traffic + NAT = Alot of work for NAT that result in slow transferrates or even dataloss (unable to surf the web etc). The first guy was partly right but to just turn off SPI didnt solve the problem completely, there is better performance this way with a NAT.

My current NAT is DIR-655 with latest firmware(still old firmware...), butwill be replaced next week.

Archived