Browser toolbar installs even when checkbox clear

SenseiC

I didn't see any post about this and forgive me one if this repeats a previous post...

But I just downloaded and installed 3.1.3 on this system (never had uTorrent installed on it before) and SPECIFICALLY cleared nearly every checkbox (DEFINITELY the one regarding the browser toolbar), but it ignored it and installed the toolbar anyway.

NOT ACCEPTABLE.

I think the ONLY "checkbox" I had checked was the "agree to terms". Everything else I cleared. And I just now noticed that uTorrent got added to the "Search List"... and appears as the default choice... which I neither requested nor want.

I will build a "clean" VM and install uTorrent, capturing each screen (as a sanity check) to try to determine what gets ignored.

As an additional check... I just launched IE... which I almost never use (long-time Firefox user). And there's the uTorrent toolbar listed as an add-on.

SenseiC

Very misleading (in my opinion) wording...

Choose Installation Location

Program Location left as default

[x] Create Start menu entry

[ ] Create Quick Launch icon

[ ] Create Desktop icon

Configuration

[x] Add an exception for uTorrent in Windows Firewall

[x] Start uTorent when Windows starts up

uTorrent Browser Bar Optional Installation screen (third screen)

[ ] Set my homepage to uTorrent Web Search

[ ] Make uTorrent Web search my default search provider

[x] I accept the License Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Content Policy and want to install the uTorrent Browser Bar

I agree that I misread the last question (or should I say "lost interest" after the ...Privacy Policy... part) and frankly didn't notice that I wasn't agreeing to the uTorrent... "License Agreement, etc." but the uTorrent Browser Bar "License Agreement, etc."

And to be honest... I didn't even see it until I was going through and typing all this "mess" out.

So "shame on me" for not carefully reading all the "fine print"..., but frankly I have gotten so used to having to check the "license agreement" boxes, etc. when installing software I did it out of habit. Exposes foolishness on MY part :rolleyes: but has still bumped uTorrent down a few "pegs" IMO.

SenseiC

PS: I believe it still added uTorrent Web Search to my search provider list (which I had no desire for it to do) and I believe it also became the default selection until I chose something else. If I get around to doing this again on a VM that has Firefox installed (the VM I tested this on only had IE), maybe I'll check and report back.

• 1 year later...

I'm posting in here after I did a forum search for this problem, so that I wouldn't have to start a new thread.

I am having the same issues, but with a different screen... I don't know why I'm getting a different screen, and this one doesn't seem to even allow me to opt out...?

I haven't installed the update yet, because after reading through other threads, I'm now afraid to do so. I reaaally don't want to have to deal with the uninstall issues other people have been going through. I've had a long day, I just want to update my programs peacefully, and relax.

2j1x46x.jpg

http://tinypic.com/r/2j1x46x/4

So I guess what I want to know is:

1.) This screen is different- is it legit?

and

2.) How do I say "no, I don't want to install this optional browser bar at all"?

I clicked "Next", all the way up until you can click "Finish", and I still don't see any other options regarding the bar. Am I mis-reading something?

• 1 month later...
2.) How do I say "no, I don't want to install this optional browser bar at all"?

I clicked "Next", all the way up until you can click "Finish", and I still don't see any other options regarding the bar. Am I mis-reading something?

Bump.

I agree, I have no desire to install the browser bar. Even though the update (to 3.3.1) says that the browser bar is optional, there appears to be no way to not install it. If this is not corrected, then I will either have to never update uTorrent again, or switch clients.

If anyone can advise on how to update without installing the browser bar, please post and inform us.

john

Archived