the list

fiercephoenix

Please forgive me I am very new.

I have a few list and I was wondering if i could post them here to have the vets of torrents look them over because i am getting a lot of mixed errors 404, 503, headers missing, torrent no longer there, and can't connect because the server is actively rejecting. Things like this. Is there a tool or something to check the list by (oh by list I mean Tracking List) I am trying to compile a "known" list of working tracking list so its simply cut and paste sorta....any help would be cool.

ok so now you know how new i am...all that went over my head...sorta. I am thinking there are default trackers for most files? My understanding is that you want as many trackers as possible to get as many seeds/peers and if you (as i do) seed then it makes it swarm and thus faster for all involved. Is this correct?

I am thinking there are default trackers for most files?

The ones that come in the .torrents themselves. There's no need to add more.

My understanding is that you want as many trackers as possible to get as many seeds/peers and if you (as i do) seed then it makes it swarm and thus faster for all involved. Is this correct?

Not even close, and basing your entire assumption and information request on this assumption makes things fall flat on their face.

In bittorrent, more connections doesn't automatically make for better speeds. In fact, more often than not, it actually makes for WORSE speeds because you're wasting half of your connection on protocol overhead (underlying protocol messages) because of large numbers of peer connections.

Following that guide isn't really recommended.

ALL you need to do is not enable the private flag in your torrent. DHT handles the rest.

Ok I am noticeing it handles alot.

Another question on trackers I have 7 trackers for one torrent just one tracker already has 113+ seeds, is there any reason to keep the other trackers?

I assume that if no seeds are on X tracker and I have that tracker loaded and I am seeding then it should eventually show up as 1 seed on the rest of the trackers?

I am wondering if the trackers like self update to other trackers some how or is that the job of DHT?

fiercephoneix: There are (in my opinion) several different issues concerning adding trackers to a torrent.

1. Most torrent clients do not handle errors very well from a tracker. Trackers could respond with a variety of errors - the torrent is not registered on their server (which could mean it was at one time, but no longer), the tracker may not exist any more, the tracker might exist, but fails to respond in a timely manner, etc. I do not know the protocol to know if the tracker responce includes how long you should wait to try again. But in some cases the error is such that a torrent client should NOT retry.

2. Torrents get old. By that I mean as time goes by and trackers no longer function, new trackers come online. The torrent has embedded a list of trackers that were working at the time the torrent was created. Some trackers will scan/scrap other tracker sites for new torrents inorder to build up their list of torrents. Anyway what I am trying to say is the list of trackers that may actually have a specific torrent can change over time - even though the content of the torrent does not reflect it.

I can understand DWK's point of view in that DoS can occur if a client repeatedly hammered at a tracker with requests for a torrent and was NOT handling errors correctly. But a tracker must be able to handle request for torrents that it may or may not have on its system. If the protocol dictates the responce includes a time delay or a don't ask again. The client should be able to handle it. If the client receives HTTP errors then the client should not waste resources to retry again - without manual intervention.

I have download new torrents where some of the trackers listed no longer exist. Some of the torrents are private (no DHT allowed). In order to get a decent number of trackers - you need to add existing common trackers and hope they have the torrent on their site. Even with DHT there are many trackers that report more seeds and peers than DHT - so DHT alone may not give you the maximum number of Peers.

Remove trackers where you get errors - such as need to register on their site prior to downloading, the torrent is not registered, etc. so the client will not waste resources.

Torrents handled at some point, or users stupidly adding huge lists everywhere, sure, but for content you've never hosted? Do you think it would be reasonable for firefox to hit every website it knows to see if it has a particular download you find here available? Pointless waste of resources.

GTHK: I was not talking about an internet explorer. Nor was I recommmending you add a list to every torrent that you download. But at any given time there are several main trackers that have a majority of the torrents someone wants to download. If you download an old torrent and the trackers no longer exist, why not add a few of the trackers that you know are active to see if they have your torrent? The only time a person is wasting is the amount of time to add the trackers and see if he gets any errors from an update request. If he does, he can remove them.

Why do you think an application like uTorrent has the ability to modify the tracker list if they did not want you to when you needed to?

Archived