µTorrent 3.3 beta

Firon

µTorrent 3.3 beta does NOT seem to support (*.merkle.torrent) files... From the description of this at:

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libtorrent#Merkle_hash_tree_torrents) and

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torrent_file#Merkle_trees)..... it seems VERY useful...

I'm seeing more of these types of torrent files on the web/forums & more and more clients able to use them... To save bandwidth, I'm guessing, and still able to have very small piece sizes... For me, a few hundred KB torrent files are no problem, but I guess to a forum website, it's a bandwidth issue. I hate having to fire up another torrent client just to use Merkle-type torrents... µTorrent is still my favorite..... :)

Thanks...

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stopped using it for awhile back since the upload per torrent was broken heh, but now using again and its amazing how much it has improved i see no bugs and everything works the way it should.

the only problem is the END file put in root ahah this is nitpicking to the extreme if thats all we can complain about then id say its ready for release. :D

btw thanks for giving us the opportunity to hide the sponsored torrent thing, i was about to drop utorrent all together until this change was made. remember most of us like a slimlined and simple client thats why we went with utorrent keep it this way please.

Yes and no... Yes I always try and remind users to do it manually, and no, I didn't change any tune... I've always bugged the devs to make an auto-backup feature. Both tunes coexist nicely...

Maybe disable auto update for betas for starters? If Bittorrent is gonna roll betas out to everyone for testing why not at least try to mitigate the damage of the buggy alpha quality builds we know are going to come?

As it is my rule of thumb is: *never* do auto-update... Always click the link to the changelog post in the announcement dialogue and read-it+update+backup manually. Want me to add this to my tips/guide? ... Just to make sure the right "tune" is there for the record... ? :P

Yeah, but it's not like everyone here is an official beta tester, Bittorrent roll these out for everyone to try and give no warning of just how bad they can be.. so sure since your guide seems to be THE guide to use perhaps putting that in might get somebody here thinking.. if THE guide says don't auto update why do we have an auto update feature? Hmmmmmmmm. :P

I"m running uTorrent 3.3 beta as a "portable" application, everything in one directory, but why does it copy stuff to:

..\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent

..\Appdata\Local\uTorrent

and who knows if makes changes to the Windows Firewall or copy/modify other areas of Windows....

These happen things happen on my primary C drive even though it is running on a "scratch" drive or a usb stick???

I have 1Gbs connection, my speed in utorrent is around 75MB/sec (600mbs).....but I have a big problem with disk overload (tried old versions of ut.2.0.4, 2.2.1)......and the new 3.3 rc1 but no improvements at all, try different settings for disk cache(disable,enable,set disk cache up to 1700MB) check the pre allocate file still nothing maybe you guys can fix this problem, if some one can help me this will be great

Thank you

I have 1Gbs connection, my speed in utorrent is around 75MB/sec (600mbs).....but I have a big problem with disk overload (tried old versions of ut.2.0.4, 2.2.1)......and the new 3.3 rc1 but no improvements at all, try different settings for disk cache(disable,enable,set disk cache up to 1700MB) check the pre allocate file still nothing maybe you guys can fix this problem, if some one can help me this will be great

Thank you

I believe it is a hardware limitation... you have several options... use a SSD as the write drive, use one of those 10K SATA 3.0 drive (7.2K may work as well), and finally disk stripping 2 or more recycled/used drives will also work.... also some motherboard chipsets has sata controller bottlenecks, so a discrete pci-e x4/x8/x16 controller will also work... Best advice.. read alot of HDD & motherboard reviews concerning sustained speeds.. if your building a new system.... spend a few dollars extra on better hardware since you've got such high speeds... if your into d/l, reliability, build a server closet filled w/ SAS drives...

I may be a complete and total retard but I can't find the “append the torrent’s label to the directory name” anywhere, has that feature been moved? Or removed?

No, it's not you... It's them... They've removed it when they did this new auto-labeling feature. Now, this feature was moved to 3.4, and they've forgot to re-implement this setting... So we are left with nothing... :P

Actually, I believe both features should be there, eventually...

I have 1Gbs connection' date=' my speed in utorrent is around 75MB/sec (600mbs).....but I have a big problem with disk overload (tried old versions of ut.2.0.4, 2.2.1)......and the new 3.3 rc1 but no improvements at all, try different settings for disk cache(disable,enable,set disk cache up to 1700MB) check the pre allocate file still nothing maybe you guys can fix this problem, if some one can help me this will be great

Thank you[/quote']

I believe it is a hardware limitation... you have several options... use a SSD as the write drive, use one of those 10K SATA 3.0 drive (7.2K may work as well), and finally disk stripping 2 or more recycled/used drives will also work.... also some motherboard chipsets has sata controller bottlenecks, so a discrete pci-e x4/x8/x16 controller will also work... Best advice.. read alot of HDD & motherboard reviews concerning sustained speeds.. if your building a new system.... spend a few dollars extra on better hardware since you've got such high speeds... if your into d/l, reliability, build a server closet filled w/ SAS drives...

I don't have a SSD but a friend of mine has 4 @ 512GB each ocz indillix 4 last.........SABERTOOTH Z77 ....16gb ram intel i7......disable all prefetch, superfetch,disk cache from windows 8 and still the same

my configuration :

Amd quad core 9650

Asus M2N-E

4gb ddr2

hdd 1tb caviar black + 600 gb 10k

I had made transfer to disk over 100MB on my sistem.........but my friend spend a lot of bucks on his system and still the same problem DISK OVERLOAD.....we need a fix

Thank you much rafi and AdamK for the answers :D

I don't have a SSD but a friend of mine has 4 @ 512GB each ocz indillix 4 last.........SABERTOOTH Z77 ....16gb ram intel i7......disable all prefetch, superfetch,disk cache from windows 8 and still the same

my configuration :

Amd quad core 9650

Asus M2N-E

4gb ddr2

hdd 1tb caviar black + 600 gb 10k

I had made transfer to disk over 100MB on my sistem.........but my friend spend a lot of bucks on his system and still the same problem DISK OVERLOAD.....we need a fix

The Z77 only has (2) 6Gb/s Intel SATA ports, the other (2) 6Gb/s ports are inferior Asmedia ports. If you want full performance, like Simon100 said, you'll want to get a dedicated RAID controller, even the onboard Intel controller uses software emulation and offloads to the CPU giving you reduced speeds.

This is what a proper RAID controller looks like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816117214

Stable still has strange cache behavior. :(

"Write out finished pieces immediately" doesn't really work, since my cache rises up 190 mb with lots of completed pieces, and I'm not limited by hdd.

When the new algorithm decides to write to disk, it writes everything including blocks from partially finished pieces (that are still downloading, not interrupted by peer).

Archived