µTorrent 3.3 beta

Firon

uTorrent won't let me run two instances of itself.

Make a shortcut where your uTorrent.exe is.

Right click the shortcut. Click properties add a space and /recover for the target in the properties..

ex: "C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe" /Recover

As for the port try any port between 49152 - 65535.

Thanks for getting back so quickly! About the ports, can I pick any port from 49152 - 65535? An I suppose to somehow configure the port for uTorrent? Please be nice, I'm new at the "Ports" thing. All I know, if you have the wrong port, the app won't work.

Thank You.

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just installed build 28993 and having crashes.

uTorrent crashes after I add magnet torrents (2 different ones). Tested several times' date=' crashes every time. I copied the hash for the magnets (since TPB does not offer torrent files anymore) and searched for the same hash on the net. Found both and downloaded as .torrent files. Both work fine.

Seems like attempting to process magnet files causes crash.

Note: I did tell crash pop-up to send diagnostic dump and restart, so you should have gotten at least a couple of those from me already.[/quote']

Same here. Every magnet link I've added makes build 28993 crash (during the "downloading metadata" stage, it seems). Hey infinitemonkeys, thanks for the suggestion of googling the hash from the magnet link. :)

Exactly the same problem here

Also, after the crash, multiple torrents are moved all over the place, completely changing the order of my torrents.

can I pick any port from 49152 - 65535?

yes pick any port between 49152-65535 at add it to options>preferences>connections in utorrent.

Then you either click on 'unpnp port mapping' to automatically forward your specified port or you can check out http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/ and do it manually!

P.S...Setup your pc to use a static ip.

yes pick any port between 49152-65535 at add it to options>preferences>connections in utorrent.

Then you either click on 'unpnp port mapping' to automatically forward your specified port or you can check out http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/ and do it manually!

I am using 6881 port, that's wrong?

P.S...Setup your pc to use a static ip.

Why use Static IP? I was under the assumption that Dynamic is better so no one can trace or monitor what you are doing.

Build 28993 crashes a lot. any change to get the previous build? :o

No auto-backup-on-update "feature" yet ? ... :P

If I remember rightly, weren't you always of the opinion that such a feature wasn't really required? I'm sure I remember you saying something to the nature of "backup before you test, they're beta builds"

Now you've changed your tune?

I made a suggestion for the backup of settings, can't say I remember getting much support from anyone, but certainly a backup of the whole folder would be nice pre upgrade and I think I mentioned that.

To whoever works for Bittorrent I gift you a mini rant:

If you're going to use your forum members for beta testing (and I use the word beta here extremely lightly because generally many of the builds are more alpha quality due to what's fairly apparent to be a complete lack of testing) why not give them the ability to be able to auto roll back to the pre update state via the client? How many "reverting to xxxxx build" posts have you seen here? Maybe a few? Yeah...

Anyway cheers for reminding me of that Rafi. As you were.

Guys, please check your system (C:) root directory.

Is there an extensionless file called "END" there... ?

sshot_1.png

Yea, same here (using latest RC1). I just realized it is created by the uTorrent installer, right after the execution of the setup (no need to finish it, or even click on any "Next" button, it is automatically created!). The question is, why would uTorrent create a file called "END" in the system root directory, with uppercase letters?

Is it some out-of-date easter egg which should have activize itself on 21 December 2012, or some kind of hidden "message" to us, or is it just some leftover from development / debugging & bug tracing.. ?

Firon, now as the 3.3 is RC already, this should be the last chance to fix the already submitted issue with the text:

*******List of unknown strings in the language file:*******ffmpeg Process aborted with error %d. Unknown error\nMore information may be found in the transcript log at %%appdata%%%Smedia
*******List of strings not found in the language file:*******ffmpeg Process aborted with error %d. Unknown error\nMore information may be found in the transcript log at %%appdata%%\%S\media

As already informed, this issue was fixed for the 3.x brunch, but now is back in 3.3 and 3.4 ...

http://s1.postimage.org/93mm5rrfz/sshot_1.png

Yea, same here (using latest RC1). I just realized it is created by the uTorrent installer, right after the execution of the setup (no need to finish it, or even click on any "Next" button, it is automatically created!). The question is, why would uTorrent create a file called "END" in the system root directory, with uppercase letters?

Is it some out-of-date easter egg which should have activize itself on 21 December 2012, or some kind of hidden "message" to us, or is it just some leftover from development / debugging & bug tracing.. ?

same here END file present in directory C:\ below the windows folder using latest utorrent 3.3 RC version

I'm sure I remember you saying something to the nature of "backup before you test, they're beta builds"

Now you've changed your tune?

Yes and no... Yes I always try and remind users to do it manually, and no, I didn't change any tune... I've always bugged the devs to make an auto-backup feature. Both tunes coexist nicely...

As it is my rule of thumb is: *never* do auto-update... Always click the link to the changelog post in the announcement dialogue and read-it+update+backup manually. Want me to add this to my tips/guide? ... Just to make sure the right "tune" is there for the record... ? :P

6881 is fine. It is recommended to use higher port #s since many ports under 10000 are pre-allocated by other apps.

If you connect to just about any site running TBdev derivative code you'll find that 6881 (and most of the ports below 10000) are blocked by default. Most of the coders on those sites aren't even aware that the default config blocks these ports.

I can't speak to other codebases but for TBdev the "standard" port blacklist includes 411, 413, 1214, 4662, 6881-6889, 6346, 6347 and 6699. Most sites recommend using ports over 10000.

sshot_1.png

Thanks for posting this info. I just did a dir and I also have a file called END. I also noticed that I lost my "skin" for the toolbar as well. I made an attempted to add a new "skin" and still, the toolbar remained the "built-in" toolbar. I noticed right after I installed the 3.3 RC 1, which was this morning at 11:18 AM EST. :cool:

Why use Static IP?

Static IP on your own local LAN is not a security risk. It is required for smooth port forwarding. You might be able to set your router to assign it according to the MAC address.

Yes, I take that for granite that my local LAN is static IP. You local IP is something like 192.168.1.1? My Broadband connection is Dynamic. Is this what you mean?

Why use Static IP?

Static IP on your own local LAN is not a security risk. It is required for smooth port forwarding. You might be able to set your router to assign it according to the MAC address.

Yes' date=' I take that for granite that my local LAN is static IP. You local IP is something like 192.168.1.1? My Broadband connection is Dynamic. Is this what you mean?[/quote']yes

Why am I getting a Run As window popping up with 29010? (This happened with 28993 aswell).

(Using Windows XP SP3).

20130130_09h23m37s_001_RunAs_zpsc7b2b806.jpg

I get this sometimes on Windows 7 SP1 (32- bit), but it's something you shouldn't worry about. Its Windows trying to protect you from from unknown publishers from installing unknown programs on your computer. I believe it is a security protection. I might be a little concerned if Windows didn't tell me anything and let me install any program on my system. :cool:

Archived