Received message my network traffic is being limited, requesting help

jimmo

I received a message (noted by a red exclamation point icon) at the bottom of my uTorrents client saying "A firewall/router is limiting your network traffic.You need to open up a port so others can connect to you."

I recall previous mesages in that same spot saying the icon should be green, though it sometimes switched to a yellow one, But this is a new one.

I have no idea what to do, am not a computer whiz. Will someone please be kind and send me step-by-step instructions on just what I must do?

Thank you.

Make sure your firewall isn't blocking uTorrent. Simple as that.

Hello:

It is apparently not as "simple as that."

I looked at my Windows Firewall connections list, checked uTorrent in the list of allowed programs, and am still receiving a message, accompanied by a yellow triangle (with an exclamation point within it) icon at the bottom of my uTorrent queue. The message itself also states that unless that icon turns green, it may indicate a problem with one's connection.

I have also run the test from the Setup Guide , and the yellow check mark (with an asterisk) appears on the bottom section of the window for "Network," even as the green check mark is in the top section of the window for "Bandwidth." The Network test states that a port is closed, although the system is still downloading. But I am noticing a very slow download of the only torrent I currently have in my queue.

Before the yellow icon appeared, the icon was a pink color, stating no connections were incoming, a situation which evidently changed when I made that adjustment in my Windows Firewall .

But there was usually a green icon at the bottom of my queue when I first installed uTorrent 1.8.2, except the icon began to be a constant yellow in that version after about a month. That is why I installed version 2.0, the version I am now using, to see if a new version would fix the situation.

The torrents tracker site I use to share classic TV files will not allow any version of uTorrent above 3.0 , and completely disallows my bit torrents client of choice (BitTorrents).

But I have an instinct that this situation is not to do with the client, but some setting of my computer, or a setting of the client in relation to my computer.

I am not a computer whiz, know just enough to be dangerous (usually to myself). Will you please send me some step-by-step directions by which I may remedy this situation? You would not be making a mistake by assuming almost complete ignorance on my part when it comes to computer programs. So the simpler the directions, the better.

If you are unable to help me, will you please direct me to a uTorrent staff member who may do so?

Thank you,

Jim M.

Jim, I could never get the green icon when using versions of uTorrent before the 3.0 series, although I could still download and upload, I changed to the 3.0 series and all was fine. I can't remember what version of the 3.0 series I used or even if there was more than one version, but I'm pretty sure I used the last version of it. I never ever got to the cause of why I never got the green icon, but but would suggest that perhaps you upload to the 3.0 series and see if that sorts it for you. Your only other option (if you've not already done it) is to set a static ip and see if that helps. I personally didn't want a static ip as I've heard they are not that secure.

Do you have a router? You'll also need to open a port in that if you're behind a NAT.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

Find your router model and follow the instructions.

(ignore the giant ad to buy their software - you don't need it).

Hello:

Sorry, but I don't even know what you are talking about. What is a "NAT?"

And I don't know if I have a "router," because I don't know what that is either. Although, by inference, I suspect it has something to do with directing something to somewhere else--a signal from one place to another, perhaps?.

The only equipment I have is a laptop, a mouse (because I don't like the one built into the laptop), and the two cords that go into my computer, one for power, the other to connect me with the Internet, which is also connected to what I think is called the "modem." The modem and the laptop are both inter-connected with my telephone line. I have a Verizon hi-speed service, basic hi-speed, not that FIOS .

I wrote you in my previous message I don't know a lot about computer programs, and I guess that also includes hardware. Please explain to me how I find out if I have a "NAT" and a "router," and where I would look to find the model # of the latter, if I have one. Could it be built into the modem , or into the laptop itself?

If I called you at a telephone #, and pay for the call, will you walk me through these steps?

Thank you,

Jim M.

the other to connect me with the Internet, which is also connected to what I think is called the "modem."

It is indeed a modem, which might also contain a router, and that would be what is performaing the NATing

Archived