Jump to content

uTorrent no longer starts at all


thosearentmuskets

Recommended Posts

I've used uTorrent successfully for a while now on this computer, but all of a sudden it no longer works at all.

When I try to open the program it doesn't appear at all. The "uTorrent.exe" process immediately uses 25% of my CPU (which is a quadcore), but nothing appears on the screen.

The weirdest part is, I tried to uninstall uTorrent, and it wouldn't let me do that (same problem), and then I deleted it and tried to install a new version, and it won't let me do that either. The "uTorrent.exe" file I download from the website just doesn't do anything (but the process uses 25% of CPU).

I'm on a relatively new computer running Windows 7, and I think I had updated uTorrent to the newest version. I tried installing older versions, but also no luck. I have no anti-virus programs and I am running no windows security features that I know of.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alright, I found some old threads which adressed the same problem:

THE SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM IS THIS (just like the post before said)

1. COPY AND PASTE: %appdata%\utorrent TO ANY OPEN WINDOWS EXPLORER WINDOW IN THE LOCATION BAR.

2. DELETE THESE TWO FILES:

settings.dat

settings.dat.old

It worked for me :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

thank you mygrapefruit!!!!

that did work!!! funny thing is, there are a ton of other people with the same problem and not one of the administrators had a useful answer!!

i am a download junkie and would have gone nuts without utorrent!

allitnil

Link to comment
Share on other sites

well, the fix worked for a night- but now i have the same problem again. the files replaced themselves. so i used revo to force uninstall. then went to oldapps.com and got version 2.2 - that seems to be working- i like that version better anyway.

i will repost if that ends up failing too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

well, the fix worked for a night- but now i have the same problem again. the files replaced themselves. so i used revo to force uninstall. then went to oldapps.com and got version 2.2 - that seems to be working- i like that version better anyway.

i will repost if that ends up failing too.

Well, you need to be on the newest 3.1.3, and you also need to make sure uT is closed before you delete those files.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i understand that i should be using the latest version of UT 3.1.3, but that is the one causing the problems. there are several similar post with the same problem and none of the administrators had one helpful piece of advice.

UT was locked and unresponsive, just app error msgs.

now that the older version is installed, i just updated it--- it seems i had to trick it into the latest version since just installing the 3.1.3 did not work.

i think i'm out of the woods.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...