Jump to content

2 Torrents, 1 File, each with different percentage done


seniffx

Recommended Posts

Whenever I download a movie torrent, I always download 8 or more torrents so I can pick the fastest or best quality from the group. Having downloaded thousands of torrents, there have been instances that different torrents are saving/using the same file, same exact directory.

Rite now I have two movie torrents that point to the same exact file, however, even after forcing rechecks, one of them says 8.3% done and the other says 75.2% done. HOW CAN THEY HAVE DIFFERENT % DONE?!?! They are the same file so how can this be?

The torrent thats at 8.3% is downloading very slow, but the one seeder is always available. So I wish to somehow get it to recognize that 75.2% has downloaded, so it can focus on only downloading the remaining 24.8%.

If both torrents have the same exact name, same size, then why diddnt Utorrent recognize them as the same torrent? Could the problem be that one of them was a magnet link and the other a standard torrent?

Why diddnt rechecking the one at 8.3% make it understand that it's really at 75.2% ???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

I have the same experience.

I am downloading two different torrents, one has folder name in English, another has folder name in Russian. Both of them have exactly the same content files.

First torrent is old enough (2009) so I have problem with lacking of seeder. I have already downloaded 26.4% of the first torrent.

Then I found another torrent (in Russian) with the same contents. I downloaded it a bit in uTorrent, to create its folder structure in my hard disk.

Then I stopped it, and then copied files from disk-folder of the first torrent, to the disk-folder of the second torrent. Then I did "Force Re-Check" for the second torrent in uTorrent.

So, I thought that both torrents would have the same percentages in uTorrent. But it's not.

First torrent has 26.4%, while second torrent has only 6.9%.

I've tried to remove the second torrent from uTorrent, then reloaded it (File > Add Torrent). Did the Force Re-Check again, but it's still the same case, they both have different percentages.

I know that some torrents have disk-cache files (.dat), but in this case there is no .dat file found, neither in first torrent's folder nor in second torrent's folder. I guess all data has been flushed.

Then I used another torrent client (not uTorrent) to open the second torrent. After doing force recheck, it has the same result, a reduced percentages (only 6.9%).

So, I think this is not uTorrent problem, since another client also calculates the same percentages.

My question is, why this is happened?

How can it be, they are exactly have the same files for two different torrents, but torrent client calculation (force recheck) results in different percentages?

How to resolve this problem?

Thank you in advanced.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Both of them have exactly the same content files.
BitTorrent clients do not understand "files" they understand pieces.

What looks the same in Windows Explorer is NOT necessarily going to be the same to a BT Client.

The metadata in a .torrent file is a dictionary that tells the client how the block of data is constructed at binary data level and if the files, as you see them have been altered in any way by "tagging", or a different modified date etc. the metadata and the disc data are NOT going to match.

Running a "re-check" is a comparitive "hash" check between the meta data of the pieces when originally created and the pieces on disk, reject pieces that do not match exactly to ensure that the integrity of the data is not compromised on your machine OR any others that download pieces of the torrent from you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BitTorrent clients do not understand "files" they understand pieces.

What looks the same in Windows Explorer is NOT necessarily going to be the same to a BT Client.

Thank you for fast response.

How about both torrents has the same "size of piece"? That is 512 KB.

Is there any workaround by using third party software/tools, so that both will have same percentages?

(I am trying to open uTorrent's "resume.dat" file by using BEncode editor, but have no idea what should I do.)

Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...