uTorrent and browser not playing nicely all the time.

JH338

I have a very strange situation:

1) When I am at the library using an unsecured wireless network, uTorrent and Firefox can both be running concurrently with no problem

2) When I am away from home at a location that requires a password to use their wireless, uTorrent and Firefox can both be running concurrently with no problem.

3) When I am at home... a whole 'nuther ball of wax.

It doesn't matter if I'm hardwired or wireless, I can use either uTorrent OR Firefox - but not both.

(I haven't checked other browsers - I presume that's not the issue)

It seems to me that the problem involves configuration of my router. What seems odd to me, though, is the fact that there really isn't much to configure for the hardwired connection. Generally speaking, this kind of connection either works properly or it doesn't work at all.

I have tried both WPA and WPA2 options, I have tried designating it as a Public network (the way I do while away from home) and then later as a Home network. None of this has made a difference.

HELP!! :)

oops, sorry... Win 7 Professional, 64 bit. Intel i7 2630QM cpu

Netgear WNR2000v3 wireless router

Oh, wait... never mind. I did so much while troubleshooting this that I had forgotten that I had eliminated the router as the cause by connecting directly to the cable modem. Now I'm at a loss to know where to begin... unless it's the cable modem itself to blame.

Archived