Upload Peer Sharing

Sturrurr

Hello community,

I have been downloading quite a few torrents lately, more than I usually do anyway, and I have come across an interesting statistic, and that is I seem to upload far more than I download to individual peers. This is when I am downloading a file by the way, it doesn't matter what the file is I seem to upload far quicker than I download. A file that is meant to be shared and I get next to nothing in download speed yet the other person hogs all of my upload. My internet connection is fine, and on occasion I can get speeds of 5-10MB especially on the Game Of Thrones downloads, but in every other case I'm uploading a huge amount to different people, and I receive barely nothing in return even though their percentage is usually much higher than mine.

I don't mind sharing I really don't, but when I'm uploading as I'm downloading other IP's seem to be taking the piss. Taking all of my upload and giving nothing in return. Sharing is sharing I understand that. When I seed a file I tend to keep it for a while so I can help people download the file that bit quicker with my assistance, but as I'm downloading a file I don't sit too kindly when someone is taking all of my upload and I'm gaining 2KB from them for every second.

Is there anything I can do? Or is this normal in torrents? If I could I would like to ban IP's that keep doing this, but that person could be uploading to somebody else or he might not, I can't know for sure. I just can't stand uploading a file to people very quickly when mine is running so slowly. Once the download is finished I don't really care who gets my upload as I have the torrent downloaded by then.

http://oi45.tinypic.com/lec07.jpg

My download was going a little quicker when I took the screenshot but for a while it was between 50KB and 75KB when other people was taking all of my upload and downloading the file much quicker.

I just wanted to note that I don't have a problem with downloading files on Utorrent by the way. Some download very quickly and others take longer, I understand that, but what I don't understand is how somebody with an higher percentage can be taking all of my upload and giving nothing in return. It happens all the time.

The short version is this:

1> Setting your own settings properly for your connection will improve your speeds greatly.

2> Just because they aren't uploading to you, it doesn't mean they aren't uploading at all.

I don't have any problems with download speeds by the way. As far as I'm aware my download and upload settings are fine the way they are. I made a thread about it a few weeks ago and some very kind gentleman helped me with setting it up. My download speeds on torrents are fine, some do run slower than others though, but it's the way I upload so quickly to certain people that angers me. I give them a large proportion of my upload for the entire duration of them downloading the file, and yet my percentage is much lower and my download is performing much slower.

So is it best to persevere and keep on sharing files at alarming rates out of generosity whilst I wait another two hours for the same file to download :D? Is there an easy way to block IP's?

Seeds 7(145) Peers 56(464)

Hmm is that supposed to make any sense?

Doesn't seem to have anything to do with what I was asking. What I was asking however was why do I seem to be uploading huge amounts of data to other people and getting nothing in return. This had nothing to do with the amount of seeds available. I'm on about the peers not sharing much information with me, yet I'm giving a few bucket loads of it. They are way ahead of me percentage wise, yet I am letting them take and download the file far quicker than I can. I think people choose not to read what I said, and just interpret the way they feel fit.

If that's the case how do I...

A. Take special preference from one IP to another?

B. Ban the IP that is hogging up my upload?

C. Is there a way I can have all the seeds selected?

Like I said I don't mind sharing the file once it is completed, heck I don't even mind sharing the file as I'm downloading it, but I still don't like the idea of helping one person after another finish the download years before I can, because I'm not being given any upload.

Sure it does!

Ever hear about seed/peer ratio?

It also depends on the connection speeds and uTorrent settings on both ends and if there are seedboxes invoved.

BTW...how do you know that you are not doing the same "hogging" as you call it on certain torrents that you are downloading fast...ex: Game of Thrones!

Sure it does!

Ever hear about seed/peer ratio?

It also depends on the connection speeds and uTorrent settings on both ends and if there are seedboxes invoved.

BTW...how do you know that you are not doing the same "hogging" as you call it on certain torrents that you are downloading fast...ex: Game of Thrones!

With Game Of Thrones it's the seeders who are sharing the file with me, I have not once during the past few weeks seen peers uploading huge amounts for me to download, it's always the seeds. So that answers that question for you.

In many cases as a peer I have uploaded 1.5/2.0 ratio of the file before I have even finished downloading the file, so that pretty much proves that I'm doing my part, I am also doing my part by seeding the file afterwards.

Anyway thanks DreadWingKnight. The only person who ever seems to respond on this forum with something useful.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

i searched for "why am i only uploading from from torrents i am downloading" on google and this forum post was the closest match...

personally, i don't care who gets the data i am uploading as long as i hit the 200% mark. what does miff me though is that i can't seem to get to the 1:2 ratio because when i am downloading all my measly 0.5MB/s of upload bandwidth is utilized by the same cluster of peers/seeds i am downloading from?

as a side note, i seem to have stopped being able to upload on torrents that are still popular, i.e. have a high seed/peer rating.

thanks!

:)

Ratio enforcement tracker?

thanks; i've researched ration enforcement tracking and i can state that no, my torrents haven't come from any premium type sites. i checked the trackers for some of the torrents and they are saying: [Failure: No such host is known] - which is surprising as the torrents i've downloaded are popular ones that i am sure would reach 200% easily.

i have [DHT] seeds/peers but this is a good thing right!? :D

Archived