utorrent the torrent you are trying to add is already in the list of..

ashnoom

Clear out %appdata%\roaming\utorrent

found on windows 7 in C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent assuming User is your user name.

You'll have to be careful if you installed apps. If not, I deleted everything in the directory and it repopulated. I may have reinstalled utorrent. I can't recall. But its so fast to install anyway.

Worked for me.

If there is only a specific file that is causing you an issue, and you don't want to delete resume.dat, then:

1. Exit uTorrent.

2. Get BEncode Editor from here: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=31306

3. Extract BEncode Editor to your Desktop and open it.

4. Go to File -> Open and find resume.dat (Windows users: it will be somewhere here: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent).

5. Select the torrent that is giving you issues and press Delete on your keyboard.

6. Save and exit.

I just created this account to say that this worked perfectly. Small download, let me edit the resume.dat file, re-added the magnet link and now it's running. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I also got the problem today. I opened a magnet link and uTorrent popped up with the 'add new torrent' dialog. A notification of a new update popped up as well and told it to update while the other dialog was still open.

uTorrent restarted and to my surprise I couldn't add the same magnet I tried to add previously. It kept saying that it was in the list and that if I wanted to add the new trackers.

I followed the solution posted in this thread on deleting resume.dat. It worked, but I'm afraid is hasn't been solved yet, unless it's been fixed in the new update and the error was cased by my previous version...

Still a bug as of 3.2.3, build 28705 on 12/10/2012. Gonna try the fix mentioned by "OneUseUsername". Why it is that we have to use a third party program to fix a problem persistent since May is beyond me. Does anyone know if uTorrent's programmers are aware of this?

EDIT: Fix works. Just double check that uTorrent isn't running on your Task Manager beforehand, or it won't. Had a d'oh moment when it was open, and I didn't realize it *facepalm*

If there is only a specific file that is causing you an issue, and you don't want to delete resume.dat, then:

1. Exit uTorrent.

2. Get BEncode Editor from here: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=31306

4. Go to File -> Open and find resume.dat (Windows users: it will be somewhere here: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent).

5. Select the torrent that is giving you issues and press Delete on your keyboard.

6. Save and exit.

Thanks! Worked for me today as well.

FWIW I had the same error, same exact route as post #1, and removing resume.dat and resume.dat.old didn't fix it.

However, I did manage to find the lost torrent just through the UI's left-side sorting column. It's not under Downloading, Seeding, Completed, Active, or Inactive, but under Labels --> Hidden I found my torrent that it had supposedly added. It is also not counted among the "total torrents" count.

Hope this helps someone. Using 3.2.3 build 28705 32-bit.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

1. Exit uTorrent.

6. Save and exit.

THANKS FOR HELP !!!!!!!!!!!! it works 1000 % :);)

• 3 months later...

This is a bit late but here it is. This is what I did. If you click on labels in your list there will be more lists one of them is called hidden I opened that and found my file it was listed as an error. I deleted it and everything works just fine. I tried most the other suggestions but nothing seemed to work or I just did not want to go through all of that. This was really easy.

Archived