uTorrent won't stop loading at Windows start

ghendric

I've been trying to stop uTorrent from starting at Windows startup but it won't stop loading. I've set the settings, cleared out the Startup folder and looked for any startup info in the registry run section and there is nothing there that would indicate that uTorrent is trying to load. Does anyone know where I could look in Windows to see where uTorrent loads from?

Thanks

Unsure what version you are using. I'm using the latest 3.2 beta version and in the "general" part of preferences there is a box in the part "windows integration" that says "start utorrent when windows starts", make sure this isn't ticked. If it is unticked then the only thing I can think of is to go into msconfig and see if utorrent is in the start up list, if it is then disable it. If you do it this way and want to remove it from the start up list so your computer starts normally, there is a nice little free ap called MSConfig Cleanup.

I'm using v3.1.3. I have the setting turned off in uTorrent that says to load on windows start. I've also checked msconfig and its not in the startup there either. I can't find where it's loading from... its not in the Startup folder either.. It's only doing this with my login and not other logins on the computer.. :/

I would suggest updating to the latest 3.2 beta version of utorrent and see if that works as the 3.1.3 version has numerous issues that have been addressed in the 3.2 beta. The bonus is that you can also choose which files you want before they are loaded into the utorrent program.

I removed v3.1.3 and installed v3.2. That didn't fix it. I think there must be some sort of batch file or some sort of hidden startup folder or some system utility thats causing it to run each time windows starts. I'll keep digging around..

I'm wondering whether you have utorrent running as a service, if so then it should show up in the services list in Administrative Tools. The link below shows how to set it up as a service so may be of use if it is set up and you want to unset it. Then again, if it's in the service list then you can change how it starts from there.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7421438_run-utorrent-service.html

• 2 years later...

I'm having the exact same problem, using version 3.4.1:

uTorrent auto-starts upon my windows 7 startup, I disabled it from starting up both from:

1) uTorrent preferences

2) computer startup (using msconfig)

I also double checked that it is not registered as a windows service.

Archived