uTorrent doesn't utilize my modems max speeds completely.

mike WEBB

This is probably more of a networking forum question but I'll try here first anyways since I already have an account here and my networking jargon is kind of limited. Anyways, I always thought my max download speed was around 1.5 Mbps because for every torrent I download, I always maxed around 1.2 Mbps. My upload speed around 25 Kbps. After figuring out that my friend who lives down the street was dishing out like 5.5 Mbps on every torrent I became skeptical of my modem. Then after doing a speed test, and learning that my speeds are capable of so much more, I began question my situation even more. I am connected directly into a Scientific Atlanta 2203c that tested up to 9.87 Mbps in download and upload of .96 Mbps. I couldn't find the label specs for this thing to compare so that's all I could do. Does anyone have any idea what might be limiting me to 1.2 Mbps? I checked all incoming and outgoing connections with NetLimiter Pro and uTorrent is pretty much the only thing using any significant bandwidth. I figure it's either my network config or something in the uTorrent properties.

• 2 weeks later...

I was unable to find out the modems signal strength. But after finally forwarding my port my connection went up about 200%. If it's actually utilizing my bandwidth the way it's supposed to, I don't know. But after testing more torrents I'll report back if the problem persists to confirm that port forwarding solved it completely.

Archived