µTorrent 3.2.1 stable (build 28086)

AdamK

Also, with a Subfolder option, I don't think it's very obvious that what it does is it removes one level of folder, rather than "not creating an extra folder".

Subfolder checkbox can be renamed to "Create subfolder:" - this way the result will be absolutely obvious.

all multi file torrents always go in a folder

Why? Multiple-files torrent is just a collection of files. It doesn't necessary have the container folder.

The folder that is created by uTorrent to save the torrent contents is not necessary the real folder put to the torrent file by the releaser. No, it's just the folder uTorrent is creating for user convenience. It's name is usually based on the torrent name (specified by releaser). But that is all.

The expression "all multi file torrents always go in a folder" has nothing to do with the torrent contents. It is based on the some approach of saving torrent files that is BTW changing from one version to another.

The use of this subfolder is just an option. And the user should be able to choose.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, i also created a bit even more simplified "New Torrent" dialog by rethinking the whole issue by all your suggestions above.

I like this one.

If enabling and disabling the checkbox would "magically" add and remove (toggle) the subfolder prefix to the "Save in" path (on each click) it would be quite convenient, simple and won't take much screen space. And there won't be any redundant fields like in all previous variants (including mine).

But the developers need to find the best solution with each and every small detail:

What happens if the user changes the "Name" field? Should uTorrent use the changed name as added/removed prefix or it should use the original torrent name?

What happens in this situation:

1) the "Save In" field was initially set to "D:\Shows"

2) original torrent name was "Dexter Season 3 WEB-DL 720p"

3) user enables the checkbox "Save the torrent inside the subfolder..."

4) the fullpath path becomes as follows: "D:\Shows\Dexter Season 3 WEB-DL 720p"

5) user modifies the path manually to "D:\Shows\Dexter\Season 3"

6) and then our genius user disables the checkbox.

What should uTorrent do?

- It can reset the "Save In" field to it's initial state

- It could remove the last folder (all the text after the last backslash including "\")

- Or in the case when the text value of the "Name" field isn't found in the text value of the "Save in" field uTorrent should do nothing? But in that case after enabling the checkbox again our idiot user will end up with the following ugly path: "D:\Shows\Dexter\Season 3\Dexter Season 3 WEB-DL 720p"

I like the proposed approach, but it's realization should be foolproof. Otherwise there will be tons of displeased comments. And we will never have a single working concept.

Why? Multiple-files torrent is just a collection of files. It doesn't necessary have the container folder.

That's what I was wondering about. Then yes, for torrents that doesn't have the container folder, it seems reasonable to have an option like this.

I also vote for more vertical space' date=' that being more area for the directory tree-field.

You could have it to either side of the info, I[b'] would prefer if you move the directory tree-field to its own space to the right and make the info-side a bit narrower as you have more space downwards. :)

In worst case you could use two tabs instead of having everything on one page.

I like this idea of putting the torrent directory/file-structure to the right and info and saving options to the left. The display area is horizontal (5:4, 4:3, 16:9) but current uTorrent builds don't use the horizontal space at all making us scroll and scroll and scroll.

+1, i like this idea too - it would mean a somewhat wider New Torrent dialog, but the advantages of this extra width would be clear & obvious. I even created a draft, it would look like something like this (including the extra checkbox regarding subfolder creation):

addnewtorrentredesigned.png

(click on picture for full image)

Okay' date=' i also created a bit even more simplified "[b']New Torrent" dialog by rethinking the whole issue by all your suggestions above.

I like this one.

If enabling and disabling the checkbox would "magically" add and remove (toggle) the subfolder prefix to the "Save in" path (on each click) it would be quite convenient, simple and won't take much screen space. And there won't be any redundant fields like in all previous variants (including mine).

Yeah, that's how i thought it should work - like a switch that automatically adds / removes the actual content of the "Name" field to / from the "Save In" field. :) It could even happen real-time, so when the user modifies the "Name" field (and the extra checkbox is checked), the "Save In" field could be automatically modified to it's new name when "Name" field's "OnKeyPress" event occurs.

What happens in this situation:

[...]

5) user modifies the path manually to "D:\Shows\Dexter\Season 3"

6) and then our genius user disables the checkbox.

What should uTorrent do?

- It can reset the "Save In" field to it's initial state

- It could remove the last folder (all the text after the last backslash including "\")

- Or in the case when the text value of the "Name" field isn't found in the text value of the "Save in" field uTorrent should do nothing? But in that case after enabling the checkbox again our idiot user will end up with the following ugly path: "D:\Shows\Dexter\Season 3\Dexter Season 3 WEB-DL 720p"

I think uTorrent should react with the latest option, so it just shouldn't do anything in case the "Save In" field is already modified by the user manually. Or another option, it could display a little dialog window in those special cases asking for what to do, with two options (or more):

(o) Save the file to the originally given path (%path)

( ) Use the modified (current) "Save In" path

Plus optionally there could be a checkbox:

[x] Remember my choice for cases like this

I agree that it should be as foolproof as possible, while keeping it comfortable & unambiguous for the user.

You should try thinking outside the box...

I believe in no rules, understanding the self-explanatory dialog (no guessing...) and just giving the user the free choice... so -

B-e-h-o-l-d: the new Add Torrent/Magnet dialog :)

http://thumbnails73.imagebam.com/19998/0409f1199979725.jpg

waiting your comments/votes...

That looks really good, Rafi - I agree with the others, though - there are a lo of displays that don't have enough vertical space. I already run into ths problem with the current dialog.

You should try thinking outside the box...

I believe in no rules' date=' understanding the self-explanatory dialog (no guessing...) and just giving the user the free choice... so -

[b']B-e-h-o-l-d: the new Add Torrent/Magnet dialog :)

http://thumbnails73.imagebam.com/19998/0409f1199979725.jpg

waiting your comments/votes...

That looks really good, Rafi - I agree with the others, though - there are a lo of displays that don't have enough vertical space. I already run into ths problem with the current dialog.

As I said here, I'm all for saving space (modified dialog):

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=670122#p670122

In horizontal location - you'll just have to take care of being able to drag-extend both the files' part as well as the names fields' part so to support longer names.

Don't forget that you can still deselect files in their detailed tab in stopped mode (where you have the full horizontal screen width).

if I add 3-4 torrents one-by-one with little time between adding them, utorrent crashes.

Имя сбойного приложения: uTorrent.exe, версия: 3.2.1.27554, отметка времени: 0x4ff28387

Имя сбойного модуля: ntdll.dll, версия: 6.1.7601.17725, отметка времени 0x4ec49b8f

Код исключения: 0xc0000374

Смещение ошибки: 0x000ce6c3

Идентификатор сбойного процесса: 0x804

Время запуска сбойного приложения: 0x01cd5a9e2ed76e1e

Путь сбойного приложения: C:\Program Files (x86)\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe

Путь сбойного модуля: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll

Код отчета: 7b38e5c8-c691-11e1-8898-002522f8407d

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

- <System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-07-05T11:06:34.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>17760</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>Serva4ok-PC</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data>uTorrent.exe</Data>

<Data>3.2.1.27554</Data>

<Data>4ff28387</Data>

<Data>ntdll.dll</Data>

<Data>6.1.7601.17725</Data>

<Data>4ec49b8f</Data>

<Data>c0000374</Data>

<Data>000ce6c3</Data>

<Data>804</Data>

<Data>01cd5a9e2ed76e1e</Data>

<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe</Data>

<Data>C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll</Data>

<Data>7b38e5c8-c691-11e1-8898-002522f8407d</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Контейнер ошибки 3048824219, тип 1

Имя события: APPCRASH

Ответ: Нет данных

Идентификатор CAB: 0

Сигнатура проблемы:

P1: uTorrent.exe

P2: 3.2.1.27554

P3: 4ff28387

P4: StackHash_ea2c

P5: 6.1.7601.17725

P6: 4ec49b8f

P7: c0000374

P8: 000ce6c3

P9:

P10:

Вложенные файлы:

C:\Users\Serva4ok\AppData\Local\Temp\WER1600.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

Эти файлы можно найти здесь:

C:\Users\Serva4ok\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_uTorrent.exe_9ea141f514ab1524eb793a443884b2a7165896cb_1f3e6892

Символ анализа:

Повторный поиск решения: 0

Идентификатор отчета: 7b38e5c8-c691-11e1-8898-002522f8407d

Состояние отчета: 0

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

- <System>

<Provider Name="Windows Error Reporting" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1001</EventID>

<Level>4</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-07-05T11:06:56.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>17761</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>Serva4ok-PC</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data>3048824219</Data>

<Data>1</Data>

<Data>APPCRASH</Data>

<Data>Нет данных</Data>

<Data>0</Data>

<Data>uTorrent.exe</Data>

<Data>3.2.1.27554</Data>

<Data>4ff28387</Data>

<Data>StackHash_ea2c</Data>

<Data>6.1.7601.17725</Data>

<Data>4ec49b8f</Data>

<Data>c0000374</Data>

<Data>000ce6c3</Data>

<Data />

<Data />

<Data>C:\Users\Serva4ok\AppData\Local\Temp\WER1600.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml</Data>

<Data>C:\Users\Serva4ok\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_uTorrent.exe_9ea141f514ab1524eb793a443884b2a7165896cb_1f3e6892</Data>

<Data />

<Data>0</Data>

<Data>7b38e5c8-c691-11e1-8898-002522f8407d</Data>

<Data>0</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

if I add 3-4 torrents one-by-one with little time between adding them, utorrent crashes.

I can reproduce that one.

Steps:

01. Close uTorrent.

02. Save 4 / 5 torrent files to a directory.

03. (in a filemanager like TC) Press enter on the first torrent, then press the "Down" arrow key to place the cursor on the next torrent file, press enter, etc (repeat the steps for all of the saved torrents)

04. Press the OK button on all of the opened "Add New Torrent" dialogs quickly

05. uTorrent crashes

(cannot reproduce with the previous RC8 version, and the latest stable 3.1.3 version)

+1, i like this idea too - it would mean a somewhat wider New Torrent dialog, but the advantages of this extra width would be clear & obvious. I even created a draft, it would look like something like this (including the extra checkbox regarding subfolder creation):

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/9771/addnewtorrentredesigned.png

(click on picture for full image)

I think this format would potentially be better as most monitors have more horizontal resolution than vertical resolution.

Also, why not have a sample line or tool tip for the resulting path... For instance...

Choose the path of "D:\movies" to save files in so you have a label box that says "Example Movie Path: D:\movies\Smurfs.2012.mkv" or similar.

Alternate option would be that when you move the mouse over each file in the torrent file list, it shows a tooltip pop-up of what the save folder path would be.

I must admit, I have not read every post to fully understand all of the issues, but it seems like with all of the mockups that it would be nice to have an example path for clarity.

Cyberfix

I also like blstr's design. My only concern with it is how the "hiding" of the Torrent Options and Torrent Contents groups would work, as they were originally both between the top section and the action buttons and the new concept would require expanding the window horizontally and vertically.l

My only concern with it is how the "hiding" of the Torrent Options and Torrent Contents groups would work

My concern is how the area where the names/files are will be expanded-stretched to see/edit longer names. In the "long" version - you could just widen the dialog to be able to see *all* the longer names!

My only concern with it is how the "hiding" of the Torrent Options and Torrent Contents groups would work

My concern is how the area where the names/files are will be expanded-stretched to see/edit longer names. In the "long" version - you could just widen the dialog to be able to see *all* the longer names!

There can be a simple draggable separator, just like the one between the tree and the file list in Windows Explorer. You drag it to the right - the torrent files list contracts and the info part (with the Path/Name fields) expands. You drag it to the left - the info area contracts and the tree area expands.

I'll make the illustrating mockup later.

I've also had some of the same issues as Medio (post #12) had, and sometimes it's come up with past files or folder names as well (maybe once in 30)

Had it twice (when using a magnet) rename the torrent, and the file to match the directory's name, with no extension (which means they end up fighting each other over pieces)

X0yxKGDy

The M: drive is my default download location. the rest are some of the entries it's created.

Changes from 3.2.0:

-- 2012-06-26: Version 3.2.1 Beta 1 (build 27554)

[...]

- Fix: Magnets would be added in stopped state

[...]

if this fix refers to the fact that magnets would stop the download after just the torrent file was downloaded, can i have this feature back, please? It might have been a bug but it was an useful feature to me.

i actually like having the torrent to stop itself after the magnet downloads just the .torrent file instead of going ahead and downloading everything at once. (maybe also add a secondary checkbox for this in the add torrent dialog, to download the torrent contents too)

This way i can examine the files inside the torrent and choose which files i want to download and set their download priority order.

I went back to 3.2 build 27547, this has this useful feature/bug still present.

Edit:

P.S. i just noticed that 27547 doesn't always behave like that, but i still think it's useful to stop the download just after the magnet downloads the .torrent file

The problem I described here: http://forum.utorrent.com/search.php?action=show_user_posts&user_id=550940

is still occurring.

Due to major ISPs now cracking down on certain "content" (see: https://www.google.com/webhp#q=isps%20july%201st), it is now more important than ever for users to use programs like Tor to stay anonymous on the Internet. uTorrent currently makes this difficult due to this bug.

I will post a proper thread in the bug reports forum to make this more visible...

More management for the last used path list would be nice. Removing list items, locking them so they don't get pushed of the list by more recently used...

Or maybe reworking this system a bit - add label defined paths (not current "Add label to path", full path per label) and use main label as path source?

Since I'm already proposing stuff, here is one that should be relatively quick - ability to select multiple labels when adding torrent. I think I saw a check-combo-box somewhere... I'm using multiple labels per torrent (content type (like movie, software etc.), tv series title, tracker etc.) and it would really help.

Oh, BTW, I;m also experiencing this Chineese bug. It looks like binary gone Unicode, since I get bits of normal text, like "Connection Refused"

Finally checking out the infamous 1TB+ torrent that people have been wanting to use with uTorrent (and it looks like that now "works" with this version), but since my HDD/ISP can only handle me downloading it in sections at a time, when I try to check portions of it, uTorrent goes completely nonresponsive while building the partfile.

i still think it's useful to stop the download just after the magnet downloads the .torrent file

For some it isn’t. Maybe make it an option?

uTorrent goes completely nonresponsive while building the partfile.

There were "talks" on improving his in 3.2, I guess there is still a chance for that in 3.2.1 ...

I would prefer allow for us to swap sides the Torrents Contents on the left instead of the right, maybe a right and left handed difference combined with side of mind that processes it prefers ?

addnewtorrentredesigned.png

If the file chooser also have a text input box to choose what the user needs. Input could have a + and - beside it so if enter with plus .avi then all .avi are selected. If then select the - all the .avi files are deselected.

Also could be made a lot smarter if allow for using | as a separator the could be .avi | .mkv | .mp4 select + or - to add those extensions or ignore them. Not only for extensions but use for any things need to select or deselect from the torrent.

When there are sub folders and traverse them a new + and - appears for each folder.

Initially every input is empty + for each new torrent been added

I don't even know if what you're talking about is possible. I think the file selection is fine as it is.

Also, While checking that 1TB+ torrent, I've run into the issue of using up all memory twice now. I have 8GB system RAM, auto-managed virtual memory. Can anyone confirm this?

Edit: And oddly enough... third time worked. This really vexes me when I can't pin down causes and issues.

Also, I am getting the garbled characters issue for the "Save In" input as well. Note that this only affects the initial value of the input; manually selecting a directory still works as normal.

This really vexes me when I can't pin down causes and issues.

Take it easy :) it should really vex the devs.. Till they'll fix the handling of partfile - there is no way to tell how uT will react when creating one for very large files. It takes minutes just to create the initial partfile :(

Also, I am getting the garbled characters issue for the "Save In" input as well. Note that this only affects the initial value of the input; manually selecting a directory still works as normal.

It does not happen to me. I figured it is because I have a none default (=empty) download path set. Do you ?

Archived