µTorrent 3.2.1 stable (build 28086)

AdamK

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The name field in the Add dialog box should never be blank. It also should never be used to create a sub-folder for the path in a multifile torrent. Use the Save In to create your sub-folder. The Name field should only be used for the Name of the torrent and the physical filename for a single file torrent or a multifile torrent with a single file. The Name field should never be blank. For me, having the name field used as part of the path to create a sub-directory is convenent.

But I can see where a person would want to store all of the episodes of a television show (regardless of the seasons) in a single sub-folder. The name of the file with the tag of S01E01, S02E02, etc. would be enough for them to keep the shows in order. Therefor the Name of the torrent would reflect the contents of the torrent NOT the sub-folder where the files are located. The only way to accomplish this is NOT to use the Name field in the Add dialog box as a sub-folder when adding the torrent and when using Set Download Location. (There may/must be an exception for those who put the torrent in an auto-load folder and start when added enabled. Without a new sub-folder when loading multiple torrents into the auto-load folder you could/would have torrents steping on top of each other. Some trackers put text files in the torrent "Download from xxx". You would get an error "File in use xxxx".)

Just a thought :)

3.3 will take our 3.2.1 features and fixes.

We'll have a short cycle for 3.2.1.

Thank you. We're going to use the beta track for 3.2.1, and the alpha track for 3.3.

We will try to restrain ourselves to smaller, lower risk changes in the 3.2.1 beta.

Excellent decision Adam.

The current behaviour of the "Add Torrent" dialog regarding the "Name" field needs more rethinking, i guess...

E.g. given the scenario the user clicks on a torrent that contains more files, and that "c:\Downloads" is an existing path, so he/she types "c:\Downloads\Stuff.n.Things.S01" in the "Save In" field, and deletes the content of the "Name", so that way the user wants the uTorrent to put his files into that folder, without creating any subfolder in it. Now that is totally impossible, simply because uTorrent automatically rewrites the "Name" field with the original name, and creates a subfolder inside the user-given "Stuff.n.Things.S01" folder.

I guess in cases like the above, uTorrent should just ignore the fact that the "Name" field is empty (let the user leave it empty), and fill the main window's "Name" field automatically by the filename of the torrent, or by the name of the largest file in the torrent, or something like this...

Is it possible add option to disallow to use add torrent name as sub-directory name?

I want to save file without sub directory

I love the behaviour of "Save in" + "Name" fields in the build #27547, especially the fact that the value of the "Name field" defines the name of the torrent in uTorrent's table.

For me the ability to define the torrent name for multiple-files torrents (which will be displayed in torrents list later on) is far more important than the ability to save torrents w/o subfolders. If you want to get rid of the subfolder you can use some tricks like this one:

Let's say you have some torrent with TV show season. The releaser defined the name "House M.D. Season 2 720p". And you want to save the contents of this torrent to your local folder "D:\Shows\House" w/o any subfolders. All you have to do is to specify the corresponding values in "Save In" and "Name" fields:

"Save in" will be set to "D:\Shows" and "Name" will be set to "House" (your parent folder name). uTorrent will add the torrent with the name "House" to it's list and the contents of this torrent will be saved directly to "D:\Shows\House". All you have to do (to beautify your torrents list) is to find the torrent with the name "House" and rename it to "House S02" or "House Season 2", etc. (otherwise you'll have 8 torrents with the same name after adding 8 seasons).

If the developers want to keep both abilities (to accurately define the full path and to define the torrent name in the torrents table) the naming rules should be as follows:

For single-file torrents:

1) "Save In" field defines the path

2) "Name" field defines both the filename and the name of the torrent in the list.

For multiple-files torrents:

1) "Save In" field defines the full path:

- If the last used folder was "D:\Shows\House" and the name of the torrent (defined by releaser) is "House M.D. Season 2 720p" uTorrent should set the "Save in" field value to "D:\Shows\House\House M.D. Season 2 720p".

- If the user chooses another folder from the dropdown list this folder should be considered to be parent. So the new path will be set to "D:\SomeOldPath\House M.D. Season 2 720p".

- If the user clicks [...] and choses some new path, the new path should be than used like the absolute path (not just parent!). So after closing the Windows "Save to" dialog (invoked by clicking [...]) the "Save In" value will be "D:\SomeNewPath" but not "D:\SomeNewPath\House M.D. Season 2 720p".

- On any step user should be able to modify the "Save in" field manually, defining the full path.

2) And the "Name" field in the case of the multiple-files torrents should have only one purpose: to define the name of the torrent in torrents table. But modification of the "Name" field should in no case change the resulting path.

This behavior resembles the old one (when there was no separate "name" field) and it may be the same behavior the developers want to get rid of. As for me I don't like it either. But it may clear up all the misunderstandings related to the process of defining both the full path and the torrent name, and will also let the user choose whether the subfolder is created.

jbebad, I don't require anyone to do anything. I just don't want to lose the ability to define the name of the torrent in the torrent list (in the Add Torrent dialog) - this feature is awesome (if you have hundreds of torrents). I just described the way to override the creation of the subfolder.

Please read the second part of my post (added a few minutes ago). Do you mean the behavior like this?

I confirm the bug with hiergolyps in this build.

As for Save In, I agree with Meddio's idea: seems quite logical. I download comics a lot from demonoid.me: most of single comics torrents contain only one file + the annoying "downloaded from demonoid.txt" file. It was good for me to change the path to "New Comics" and download everything there. In previous build I could do this, but I had to remove "name" and that's why my torrents had blank names in the grid. You need to be a telepath to understand what is what in this case.

And in this build - I can't even do that.. That is a bit annoying...

You should try thinking outside the box...

I believe in no rules, understanding the self-explanatory dialog (no guessing...) and just giving the user the free choice... so -

B-e-h-o-l-d: the new Add Torrent/Magnet dialog :)

0409f1199979725.jpg

waiting your comments/votes...

I believe in no rules, understanding the dialog (no guessing...) and just giving the user the free choice... so -

http://thumbnails73.imagebam.com/19998/0409f1199979725.jpg

The dialog window height is too high, maybe you can re-design it for wide window. Move torrent contents or other section to right side of dialog.

And some details.

1. If the checkbox of "Use the above name .." is un-checked, then empty sub-folder name, the list name should be keep default value.

or

2. If no modified list name before empty sub-folder name, the list name should be keep default value.

Let's say you have some torrent with TV show season. The releaser defined the name "House M.D. Season 2 720p". And you want to save the contents of this torrent to your local folder "D:\Shows\House" w/o any subfolders. All you have to do is to specify the corresponding values in "Save In" and "Name" fields:

"Save in" will be set to "D:\Shows" and "Name" will be set to "House" (your parent folder name). uTorrent will add the torrent with the name "House" to it's list and the contents of this torrent will be saved directly to "D:\Shows\House". All you have to do (to beautify your torrents list) is to find the torrent with the name "House" and rename it to "House S02" or "House Season 2", etc. (otherwise you'll have 8 torrents with the same name after adding 8 seasons).

And here we go, that's the point where the whole conception fails. Staying about tv shows and House, if i download the episodes for a show one-by-one (S01E01, S01E02 etc), this way all of my torrent's name would be "House S02" in the list. So i would have a cool torrent list that looks like:

House S02

House S02

House S02

House S02

House S02

House S02

House S02

House S02

etc.

I'm not that fool to rename every of them manually to it's correct title, instead just revert using an older uTorrent client, where the naming wasn't messed up totally...

I just don't want to lose the ability to define the name of the torrent in the torrent list (in the Add Torrent dialog) - this feature is awesome (if you have hundreds of torrents).

Awesome? This is possibly one of the worst "addition" in the uTorrent's history in its current form. It could be awesome if it gets a bit reworked, but not the way as it is now.

I believe in no rules, understanding the self-explanatory dialog (no guessing...) and just giving the user the free choice... so -

http://thumbnails73.imagebam.com/19998/0409f1199979725.jpg

Nice idea, i like it! :) This checkbox would be quite useful! By the way if it gets implemented, i hope uTorrent will remind the checkbox's latest state, so that way the user don't have to click on it for every torrent.

Plus i guess the best behaviour would be that if the user deletes the content of the "File / Sub-folder Name" field, the checkbox could automatically "untick" itself (besides keeping the original TLN field's value), so that way the torrent's name would be saved correctly in the list (instead of blank name).

And here we go, that's the point where the whole conception fails. Staying about tv shows and House, if i download the episodes for a show one-by-one (S01E01, S01E02 etc), this way all of my torrent's name would be "House S02" in the list. So i would have a cool torrent list that looks like:

House S02

House S02

House S02

First of all I was talking about the temporary solution, not about the concept. Unfortunately there's no concept in current builds.

Secondly you didn't understand what I was talking about. I meant the multiple-files torrents like the tv show season (containing 22 episodes). And you are talking about single-file torrents, like the separate episode.

It would be foolish to rename the separate episodes (s01e01, s01e02, s01e03) to S02, S02, S02.

In that case you should set "Save in" to "D:\Shows\House" and "Name" will be different and automatic each time.

So what's the problem?

Awesome? This is possibly one of the worst "addition" in the uTorrent's history in its current form. It could be awesome if it gets a bit reworked, but not the way as it is now.

"Awesome" was for the ability to modify the torrent's display name, not for current realization that forces the creation of subfolder with this name.

Ok, how about something like this?

I've removed the unnecessary fieldsets and saved some vertical space. And the checkbox in my opinion should toggle the need to create the subfolder (instead of the ability to change the "Display name" (or the "List name")).

Single:

singlex.gif

When the user changes the "File name" the "Display name" changes simultaneously.

But when the user changes the "Display name" the "File name" remains the same.

"Display name" field is not mandatory when we deal with single-file torrents, but users will get used to the concept more quickly if this field will be present in both cases (single/multiple).

Multiple:

multiple2.gif

When you want to save the torrent contents directly to some selected folder without creating a subfolder all you have to do is to remove the checkbox.

And again: when you change the "Subfolder" text uTorrent changes the "Display name" simultaneously.

But when you edit the "Display name" the "Subfolder" value stays the same.

uTorrent should remember the last state of the checkbox.

_____

This approach is quite simple and obvious and users will quickly get used to it. And for those who won't understand the purpose of the "Display name" (or "List name", "Torrent name", etc.) field the developers can add informative tooltip for each field and the checkbox.

___

BTW there may be an option to hide the "Display name" field as some users don't care about the names of the torrents in the list and will find this field redundant.

Rafi's design looked okay. But I don't really understand yours, Meddio.

First off, can a torrent contain multiple files that are not in a folder? I'm guessing no, which I'll base the rest of this post on. Let's say I have a torrent with the contents:

folder    file1    file2

I choose to C:\ as folder path. Do you mean that, if I were to uncheck the subfolder option, that I would end up with C:\file1 and C:\file2? I think this seems strange. I would expect the torrent contents be structured as is. Unless the main folder works like a header for the torrent or something? If anything, I'd expect a subfolder option to create an additional folder to store the torrent contents in.

L'ombra, If you read few previous posts you'll see that users are complaining that they can't get rid of the unnecessary subfolders. That's why there's an option in my design to disable the subfolder creating.

First off, can a torrent contain multiple files that are not in a folder? I'm guessing no

I don't understand what is to guess here: The files from multiple-files torrent can be saved either directly to some parent folder or to the subfolder in this parent folder. And the user should have an alternative.

I'll give an example:

Here's some multiple-files torrent file:

http://zoink.it/torrent/CD7673D6AC8CF554C409448784FF519935CC95EE.torrent

uTorrent (build 27547) shows the following dialog:

1640.th.png

Where "Save in" (value: D:\Shows\Borgias) is the last used path,

and "Name" (value: The Borgias - The Complete Season 2 [HDTV]) is the name chosen by the torrent releaser.

If I click [OK] uTorrent will create the subfolder "The Borgias - The Complete Season 2 [HDTV]" in the last used (or chosen) parent folder "D:\Shows\Borgias".

The resulting path will become:

"D:\Shows\Borgias\The Borgias - The Complete Season 2 [HDTV]"

You can change this long name to something shorter like just "Borgias S02" but you can't remove it completely.

The files will be saved like this:

D:\Shows\Borgias\The Borgias - The Complete Season 2 [HDTV]\The.Borgias.S02E01.REAL.HDTV.x264-ASAP.mp4D:\Shows\Borgias\The Borgias - The Complete Season 2 [HDTV]\The.Borgias.S02E02.HDTV.x264-ASAP.mp4D:\Shows\Borgias\The Borgias - The Complete Season 2 [HDTV]\The.Borgias.S02E03.HDTV.x264-ASAP.mp4

This is current behavior of uTorrent.

According to my design you will get the same result

by enabling the "Subfolder" checkbox.

It would mean:

- Would you like to create the specified subfolder* in the parent folder**?

- Yes!

Where:

* - The Borgias - The Complete Season 2 [HDTV]

** - D:\Shows\Borgias\

Many users (including me) won't be glad if this subfolder is created, and would like to save the files from the torrent directly to the parent folder (D:\Shows\Borgias).

Like this:

D:\Shows\Borgias\The.Borgias.S02E01.REAL.HDTV.x264-ASAP.mp4D:\Shows\Borgias\The.Borgias.S02E02.HDTV.x264-ASAP.mp4D:\Shows\Borgias\The.Borgias.S02E03.HDTV.x264-ASAP.mp4

Currently uTorrent doesn't give the user an option to do so.

According to my design you will get the same result

by disabling the "Subfolder" checkbox.

It would mean:

- Would you like to create the specified subfolder in the parent folder?

- No, I want to save the files directly to parent folder w/o any subfolders!

Feature request:

Each torrent has the Comment field (which is shown in the Add Torrent dialog and in the Info Tab when you select the torrent in the list).

Many trackers (especially the private ones) put the URL leading to the torrent information page to this Comment field. It would be great if uTorrent would parse the comment value searching for URLs and would make the links clickable (so that the user won't need to right-click this field and to copy-paste the URL to the browser).

I've been thinking over the whole multiple/single file issue and now I'm wondering why this is even an issue.

The "Contents" of a torrent functions the same way any other directory tree does. Would it not be simpler to have the user select the directory where the contained file(s) and/or directory(ies) will go and not muck about with having to decide when to make subdirectories or what to name them? We are allowed to make the assumption that a properly-created torrent will have a valid internal directory structure*; it is the user's prerogative to decide where he wants the contents to ultimately go.

I suppose my question here is, what was so wrong about the design (not the implementation) from 3.1 and earlier that necessitated this change?

* Proper implementation of the protocol/format is a precondition to this entire application. It is further reasonable to assume that a person who creates a torrent will have created subdirectories in the contents if they are necessary or not created them when they are unnecessary. In either event, since uTorrent provides the ability to view the directory tree of the files to be downloaded, need to guess at intentions is moot.

Edit: Thinking on this again in the context of my previous statment... Meddio's idea makes a lot of sense. Putting a checkbox for "Place torrent contents in a subfolder with this name" would be an easy solution.

The dialog window height is too high

"We"'ll see what can be done.. see below

I've removed the unnecessary fieldsets and saved some vertical space. And the checkbox in my opinion should toggle the need to create the subfolder

I like the saving space idea!

About the checkbox function - it was aimed to have uT know to duplicate the folder to the display/list name until the user uncheck it and decides to edit it (default - checked) .

You want an additional function - to create or not create a sub-folder. Maybe, with default - unchecked. Something to consider (see below .

By the way if it gets implemented, i hope uTorrent will remind the checkbox's latest state, so that way the user don't have to click on it for every torrent.

Good idea :) btw, what do you mean by: "if"... :P

Rafi's design looked okay. But I don't really understand yours, Meddio.

I would end up with C:\file1 and C:\file2? I think this seems strange. .

Yes, the user can do whatever he likes to, even all under C:\...

Here it is again, with some of your comments:

* 1st checkbox - for not using a subfolder

* 2nd checkbox - for editing the duplicated original subfolder/file name (regardless of the 1st)

bac303200038521.jpg

what was so wrong about the design (not the implementation) from 3.1

No idea, you'll have to ask the devs why split the folder/subfolder|file... ;)

Okay, i also created a bit even more simplified "New Torrent" dialog by rethinking the whole issue by all your suggestions above.

- no need for extra input fields (less dialog height)

- only one extra checkbox added to the dialog

- default behaviour: always save the torrent in the exact directory that is given in the "Save In" field, except if the user checks the "Save the torrent inside a subfolder with the Name given below" option (when the user checks that option, uT could automatically replace "c:\Downloads" with "c:\Downloads\The Borgias - The Complete Season 2 [HDTV]" (with the real name of the actual torrent, of course).

So with unchecked state it would look like:

blstruncheckedsm.png

And with checked state (automatic replacement of the "Save In" field by clicking on the checkbox, so the user doesn't have to copy & paste the directory name):

blstrcheckedsm.png

First off, can a torrent contain multiple files that are not in a folder? I'm guessing no

I don't understand what is to guess here: The files from multiple-files torrent can be saved either directly to some parent folder or to the subfolder in this parent folder. And the user should have an alternative.

I meant the actual structure of the torrent content, as I don't know how it works. Nevermind what the end user prefers.

As for your example, what if you put D:\Shows as the container, and "Borgias" for name? This will achieve the desired result, won't it? Granted that changing the name reflects on the folder. And it if doesn't, well that's what assume both your and Rafi's designs would do.

Assuming the main folder is part of the torrent structure, and not just created by uTorrent for convenience, I just don't think it should be up to uTorrent to essentially manipulate the torrent content structure to conform to whatever the end user prefers. It should just download the content, nevermind what's in it. Yes, I can appreciate having a neat folder structure, but I think that should be up to the torrent creators.

The dialog window height is too high

"We"'ll see what can be done.. see below

I also vote for more vertical space, that being more area for the directory tree-field.

You could have it to either side of the info, I would prefer if you move the directory tree-field to its own space to the right and make the info-side a bit narrower as you have more space downwards. :)

In worst case you could use two tabs instead of having everything on one page.

Also, with a Subfolder option, I don't think it's very obvious that what it does is it removes one level of folder, rather than "not creating an extra folder". Since as far as I know, all multi file torrents always go in a folder; I would expect such an option (labelled as mentioned) to create an extra folder. It could say something like.. I don't know, "Move files to top level". That's not very obvious either, but I think it needs to be made clearer somehow.

I also vote for more vertical space, that being more area for the directory tree-field.

You could have it to either side of the info, I would prefer if you move the directory tree-field to its own space to the right and make the info-side a bit narrower as you have more space downwards. :)

In worst case you could use two tabs instead of having everything on one page.

I like this idea of putting the torrent directory/file-structure to the right and info and saving options to the left. The display area is horizontal (5:4, 4:3, 16:9) but current uTorrent builds don't use the horizontal space at all making us scroll and scroll and scroll.

Archived